If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Hey @fourteenwings you rejoined right in time for me to have finished a bunch of anime series despite not watching much anime for rest of the year before the last few weeks.

Let's see:
    * I marathoned Null & Peta one evening. surprisingly interesting to watch.
    * I finally wrapped up Halo Legends which I'd started watching many years ago at anime club.
    * Then I randomly segued into Wizard Barristers. Which, despite its unrealism, actually gave me (near the end of the series) a vague taste of "anime Law & Order", which is a thing I've mentioned I've been looking for for quite a while.
    * Then I just finished New Game!!, i.e. New Game season 2. As charming as the first, and I'm glad I got to spend more time with the cast. I even really felt that crunch time, thanks to personal experience.

I don't have any specific plans on what to watch next. It might be Two Car, though, a series about sidecar racing.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    "anime Law & Order",

Around 2013 I was really hyped for such an idea, especially if school food punishment did the OP or ED.

Two-Car's ED single has a really good B-Side song (Feel your breath). I never saw the show but I am a fan of Void_Chords who are doing the songs for the currently-airing RWBY SHAFT-animated anime (again, the B-Side to the RWBY OP; relight emotions, is also really great).

This year I haven't watched that much anime because I've been busy with other stuff but I did watch all of Mobile Suit Gundam AGE which is a great show which gives you three stories in one.

Might watch more Gundam eventually but there's lots of other stuff I need to watch before that. I watched the first cour/"season" of Orient and wasn't impressed enough to stick with it for the second (which is airing right now).

Tokyo Mew Mew aka Mew Mew Power currently has a remake airing right now and it's been enjoyable. Truncating it from 50 episodes to 12 (or hopefully 24) necessitated a lot of changes.

I actually assumed several things had changed story-wise to appeal to a Western eco-friendly audience but somehow the NYT conveniently had this piece about how Japanese culture is all obsessed with SDGs right now for no real reason which I think makes more sense.
  • More people should watch Princess Tutu
    Is this about the 20th Anniversary event?
    So amusingly after I posted the Ange Vierge OP in a Discord chat, someone there recommended I not watch it because it was bad.

Well, I was gonna watch it anyway, but ...y'know how it is when people tell me not to watch something because it's bad. =P
    Ange Vierge is a great anime actually. The quality surpasses basically every modern non-big-deal LN adaptation and it has a beginning, middle and end as well as a comfortable storytelling rhythm. I really like it.
    @fourteenwings I have a feeling you might like this certain MAL user's posts, such as this one: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2051346

Just seems to give off similar vibes as some of the stuff you post.
    Is this because:

a) it's overly long
    b) thoroughly researched
    c) therefore way too many links
    d) did literal qualitative datamining to prove a point nobody cared about
    e) righteous indignation about some little girls thing

I did not know Romantic Killer was a shounen manga, especially since the plot is very modern shoujo.

Anyways people seem confused as to what modern shoujo is, especially since shoujo anime morphed into otome harem anime and then somehow back into isekai anime.

Related to this actually, both arcade-game based long-running shoujo anime series somehow just randomly ended at around the same time (Aikatsu! and Pretty Series) which means the only kid's shoujo anime airing right now is PreCure! Series.

Problem is I think non-obviously nerd girls in Japan don't actually watch much anime anymore? They watch doramas and YouTubers. The types of shoujo manga that get adapted nowadays therefore tend to reflect that (very normal plots, usually simple romance is the main draw), which is why the magical girl genre (for like, it's actual demo) has just been PreCure for ages.

There's no need to do any late-night pandering to them, so no more shoujo anime gets made. If we're lucky, NHK might start a new daily block or make their new E-Tele anime shoujo (like Akatsuki no Yona) but otherwise yeah I don't see the situation "improving".

I would like to see Stellar Witch LIPS get an adaptation though. That manga is great.

Fricking goodness mentioning Angel Sanctuary and hitting me right where it hurts.
  • edited 2022-10-31 23:13:34
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I did this in not too much time then spent way too long writing it up (yes that's a link there) for some reason.

poqm6duij6cr.png

N.B. I didn't design this bracket.
  • edited 2022-11-18 08:22:12
    Is Megumi Hayashibara's album Fifty-Fifty specifically an Evangelion album?

There's like two or three songs at least on here that are related to Evangelion.

edit: apparently not.

https://vgmdb.net/album/74608

it just has Evangelion-related songs front-loaded on the album.
    Yeah I'm guessing it's a "why not capitalize on the popularity" situation.

I wish more artists would re-issue their best songs outside of best albums because it's hard to track down some non-single songs sometimes, but I also actually don't at all because I prefer things the way they are now.

Also when artists in Japan transfer labels they tend to avoid re-releasing the songs from their old label (though they do perform them live a lot) and I'm guessing it's due to re-licensing back-catalogue stuff.
    Because I seriously can't let this series die in obscurity, the latest "cute girls doing an idoly thing" series on the block (well, no longer latest, but most notable) is called Pole Princess and as you'd expect it involves the main characters trying their hardest to become the best pole dancer on the planet!

Pole dancing is an art! A sport even! It's all innocent! Everything is above board I assure you!
    Hinano Hoshikita is an ordinary 17-year old who's a little shy, and who's always loved her grandmother's planetarium.
    After hearing that her beloved grandmother's planetarium is going to close, Hinano wonders if there's anything she can do to help.

Then one night, she meets a woman dancing beautifully on a pole beneath a starry sky. The woman seems to rise up so high that it's almost like she could touch the stars, and Hinano is stunned by her beauty and grace. Hinano thinks to herself that if she could put on a show like this in the planetarium, it would attract lots of customers.

"Pole Dancing" x "Music" x "Girls Trying Their Best"
    A story of young girls putting all their feelings into the pole is about to begin!

At first it was just YouTube 3DCG mocap shorts that you could dismiss, but there will be a legitimate anime movie next year.
  • edited 2023-04-02 20:51:40
    My reaction to this premise:

478.jpg
    Related; I get that there's a push and pull between genuine conservatives and anti-censorship (well, uh, pro-"she's actually a 300 year old dragon!" or even worse, "it's not a real person so who is it hurting if she's underage?" people). You get both types in the 'Fandom Menace' and the former seem to go along with the latter because they want to at least have some friends, even if they are gross friends.
    I'm not sure the 300 year old dragon is actually sexualized?

https://myanimelist.net/manga/134482/300-nen_Fuuin_Sareshi_Jaryuu-chan_to_Tomodachi_ni_Narimashita

https://www.anime-planet.com/manga/300-nen-fuuin-sareshi-jaryuu-chan-to-tomodachi-ni-narimashita

Just shows as "comedy" and "fantasy" tags, not even "ecchi".

Dunno if your comment was actually a general comment or meant to specify this series.
  • I assumed it was in general, though more often than not I hear it's a 500 year old vampire.
  • edited 2023-04-15 19:58:24
    Come to think of it, I think the trope is called "really 700 years old", for what it's worth. And without specifying some alternate identity.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReallySevenHundredYearsOld

The trope isn't about the sexualization either (though obviously, fictional characters getting sexualized is one of the oldest tropes in the book).
    meanwhile, I went on a wiki walk and...today, on things I didn't know existed:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Anime/HealthAndPhysicalEducationFor30YearOlds
    FYI I've lately been posting some of my anime (and other entertainment-related) activities on Mastodon.

I'm @glennmagusharvey@sakurajima.moe -- you can see my profile here: https://sakurajima.moe/@glennmagusharvey
    I would join this site but I feel like it would end up with you and I just communicating with each other.

FYI the OP to Z/X Ignition is by Hikasa Yoko (ie Maria Cadenzavna Eve in Symphogear) and was composed by Elements Garden (ie behind the music in Symphogear).
  • edited 2023-05-15 20:40:25
    No wonder it sounds so much like Symphogear music.

Also I use it pretty often as sort of a public blog.

Amusingly I use Mastodon a lot more than I ever used Twitter, even before Musk took over Twitter.

Ironically, it's partly because the content is sorta compartmentalized -- as you may note from my Mastodon profile, I have another account that's more focused on science and policy and serious stuff -- that I use it a lot more. Twitter was too "everything all in one place".
  • edited 2023-05-26 15:49:28
    https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2095428

OH NO IT'S A YOUTUBE VIDEO DUMP THREAD WITH THINGS I WANT TO LISTEN TO

(thread is about lesser-known/lower-rated series with good music)
    (warning: click it and your browser will be slow)
    Yeah I see.

Why not just list the shows rather than put in 60 embeds?
    Because people want to share the music and have gotten accustomed to youtube embeds I guess.
    I've been watching Gosick.

On one hand, it's not a bad story. It's certainly able to keep my interest, with its many mysteries and much intrigue and and giving me the desire to piece together what's going on.

On the other hand, I'm nearing the end of the show and still feeling like I'm not particularly fond of the protagonists. They're not so bad that I hate the show, but they're not my favorites.
    MnTtmHo.jpg

This is a little embarrassing being GMH's friend and all, but I can barely tell these new iM@Ses from the originals. In fact, I thought blue one passed for Chihaya till I remembered Chihaya doesn't have bangs.

By the way, GMH, what anime have you watched recently?
  • edited 2023-09-10 19:54:48
    Very little. Just a few episodes of Starship Operators, in recent weeks. Didn't finish anything in August.

In July I watched a three-episode OVA for Hyperdimension Neptunia.

In June I watched a lot more -- finishing up Gosick and then watching the first season K-on! (along with some extras) and the Little Witch Academia TV series almost simultaneously.

Similarly with May, when I finished Dog Days' (the second season of the Dog Days franchise), Two Car (which, honestly, was rather meh), and Z/X: Ignition.
  • edited 2023-09-11 04:41:30
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Well, lately I've been watching about one anime a season, which means I'm just watching Shadowverse F. I did watch Kizuna no Allele earlier this year, as well as Technoroid and UniteUp!. UniteUp! and Kizuna no Allele both have second seasons soon so I guess I'll watch those as well.

Basically I've only been watching card game and idol anime.

Also, you could just call it "Dog Days Dash" (which is the official way to pronounce the ' in there).
  • edited 2023-09-11 22:50:18
    I pronounce it "Dog Days Prime" because I see it that way lol. Also because it's a derivative series and will insist on this pun.