If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2014-09-18 06:46:07
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, the Aegis of Uruk turned out to be better than I expected.

And quite interesting too.  Now I'm even vaguely interested in playing the original Tower of Druaga game...though from what I can tell, it seems to be one of those trial-and-error things, where the only really key information is knowing how to get all the treasures one needs (and not to get the ones that are actually poison).

Having played Ys Origin recently (but not grown up with the original The Tower of Druaga game), I could remark that The Aegis of Uruk's narrative goes kinda like Ys Origin (in terms of climing a massive demonic tower) but with a D&D fantasy RPG adventuring party.

That said, what started as just watching some idiots go up a tower actually turned out to be quite interesting by the end.  Also, plot twists.  Which result in a second season, even -- the Sword of Uruk.  Needless to say, now I'm very, very curious about it.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Also, both The Aegis of Uruk and The Sword of Uruk have soundtracks written by Hitoshi Sakimoto.

Yeah, the guy who wrote the music for Final Fantasy Tactics, some other FF games, Radiant Silvergun, and other games.

• edited 2014-09-18 19:23:23

Also, I know the original 60-floor tower was the original game, but seeing as how this anime series SERIOUSLY expanded on the original -- now it's a much bigger tower consisting of eight immense areas (sort of like the Devil's Tower in Ys Origin, but even bigger and grander than that), some of which contain entire towns inside them, and of which the starting city -- an entire city! -- is at the bottom, and entirely enclosed within the distinctive curved walls of the tower...

...I'd absolutely LOVE to see a game made with this.  (And then further encompassing the location covered by the second season!)

And the original 60-floor tower shows up in the new tower...as a feature present on part of just one dungeon level.  If that doesn't give a sense of scale, I don't know what does.

• edited 2014-09-21 02:14:05

Y'know, the Tower of Druaga anime series is a pretty good series in its own right, so I really don't know why they had to include the fanservice elements that they included.  They're not even important to the show.

And of course, image searches are even worse...

I feel that from hanging out on the internet (especially but not limited to TVT) and talking with people about about the anime series I watch, I've become more critical/judgemental/demanding of what I watch, and it's led me to feel less immersed in them.

Like, instead of just letting myself get lost in a story, I feel that I'm more aware that I'm watching a story.  And I don't like that.

• edited 2014-09-21 06:15:02
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I enjoy them at greater lengths now, precisely because I find analyzing them and critiqueing them to be an active endeavor.

• I have more fun looking at them as a story. Like, what ideas are the writers trying to convey, how does this compare to other things, and so on. This applies to basically anything, really.

• a little muffled

I feel that from hanging out on the internet (especially but not limited to TVT) and talking with people about about the anime series I watch, I've become more critical/judgemental/demanding of what I watch, and it's led me to feel less immersed in them.

Like, instead of just letting myself get lost in a story, I feel that I'm more aware that I'm watching a story.  And I don't like that.

Isn't this what "TV Tropes will ruin your life" was originally supposed to mean?

• I wanna say that I find "immersion" the way people (well, GMH) talk about to be overrated. Like, okay, there are characters and things happen. But those don't exist outside of the story itself. A message that the writer tries to convey, how the story relates to or is influenced by other things, those are all more tangible to me.

• edited 2015-10-09 07:12:32

[user deleted]

Nyktos wrote:

Isn't this what "TV Tropes will ruin your life" was originally supposed to mean?

Haha, maybe you're right.

Naas_Human wrote:

I wanna say that I find "immersion" the way people (well, GMH) talk about to be overrated. Like, okay, there are characters and things happen. But those don't exist outside of the story itself. A message that the writer tries to convey, how the story relates to or is influenced by other things, those are all more tangible to me.

Yeah, admittedly, it's probably a matter of taste.  And honestly, thinking of a story mechanically is really interesting.  Just that, a lot of the time when I sit down to watch a show, rather than wanting something to analyze, I want something to carry me away.

• edited 2014-09-22 14:04:32

since this topic (favorite animus) came up on IRC (albeit technically on #trashheap) earlier, i decided to compile a list of my opinion of basically everything anime that i've watched

FAVORITES:
    eureka seven
    the idolm@ster
    strain
    nanoha strikers
    kiddy grade
    rocket girls
    the half-broken music box
    the girl who leapt through time
    (haruhi?) (not done watching this)
    stratos 4 + s4 advance

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
    arpeggio
    madomagi
    ng evangelion
    nodame cantabile
    sky girls
    stellvia
    lagrange (1)
    nausicaa
    nanoha (1)
    element hunters
    cowboy bebop knocking on heaven's door
    akb0048 FS
    tower of druaga (aegis + uruk)
    time of eve
    allison & lillia
    animal crossing
    FFtSW
    coppelion
    magic knight rayearth
    tokyo godfathers
    leviathan
    uta~kata
    sea story
    pokémon
    pokémon origin
    noir
    (new adventures of) voltron
    voltron 3D

MEH: (could be a large range of opinions, because this basically means "no strong opinion either way")
    ragnarok
    .hack//sign
    akb0048 NS
    ys 1 and 2
    azu dai very short movie
    chrono trigger
    afro-ken
    fresh precure
    gunbuster
    nanoha a's
    symphogear (1)
    r.o. lodoss war
    yukikaze
    pale cocoon
    spirited away
    mega man (ruby-spears cartoon)
    rwby

DISLIKES:
    baldr force exe resolution
    jinki extend
    end of evangelion

Apparently, Colleen Clinkenbeard also voices the female lead in Dragonaut.

• edited 2014-10-05 09:12:23
    There is love everywhere, I already know

FALL SEASON MEGAPOST HO!

Aikatsu! 3rd Season - The baton has officially been passed to young, talentless and completely hopeless Oozora Akari, who will use it to wear Dreamy Crown dresses and pretend idoling is actually ballet. Third season of the popular idol anime.

Akatsuki no Yona - Continuing Studio Pierrot’s love affair with shoujo manga adaptations, this follows the story of a Princess whose kingdom is stolen away by her cousin.

Amagi Brilliant Park - A long awaited return to form for Kyoto Animation. This Kadokawa LN adaptation follows a young man who is tricked into becoming the manager of a theme park. There will be AKINO with bless4.

Cross Ange : Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo - A story of a Princess who is exiled for being born without the ability to use magic. She meets other normal girls and is they become the world’s last hope in the fight against dimension jumping beasts known as D.R.A.G.O.N.S.

Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai - A VN adaptation about a boy who befriends the shepherd of his school’s massive library. There will be harem.

Denki-gai to Honya-san - This anime will follow the comedic adventures of a mixed group of otaku who hang around and work at a store in Akihabara.

Donten ni Warau - In what appears to be a trend for Doga Kobo, this bishounen work features three brothers who are tasked with transporting prisoners to a prison on the water.

Fate stay/night : Unlimited Blade Works - In this long awaited VN adaptation (awaited by both fans for the delight of seeing a brilliant adaptation and Ufotable for the money it will print them), a young man named Shirou discovers a magical world involving a war for the Holy Grail. This adaptation will focus on the route in which Tohsaka Rin is the heroine.

GARO : Honoo no Kokuin - An anime version of the popular tokusatsu series will follow a young Makai Knight trying to save a young girl after she’s tainted by demon blood.

Girlfriend (Kari) - A mobile game adaptation. Will presumably have a harem. It will also feature moderately popular fictional idol Miss Monochrome.

Grisaia no Kaijutsu - In this long awaited VN adaptation, a young man goes to school with a group of girls who all have their own strange issues to deal with. It features the OP/ED artist combination previously featured in a 8-bit Fall anime Tokyo Ravens of Kurosaki Maon and Nanjo Yoshino.

Gugure! Kokkuri-san - This shoujo manga adaptation stars a sad girl who is taken pity upon by the bishounen ghost she summons.

Gundam Build Fighters Try - This sequel to the popular Gunpla advertisement that aired last year at the same time will feature new, never seen before three-on-three team matches.

Gundam : G no Reconguista - The first original Gundam TV anime since AGE, this major event in anime will follow the story of a young man named Bellri who captures the iconic Gundam of the series, the G-Self and instantly feels a connection to it despite to his knowledge never seeing it before.

Hitsugi no Chaika Avenging Battle - The second season of the LN adaptation by BONES which will pick up immediately after the first.

Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de - The members of the literature club receive supernatural powers!... except nothing else happens, so they go on with their lives while practicing for if anything does happen.

Kaitou Joker - A story about a mysterious thief who is purported to be able to complete any heist.

Karen Senki - A CG anime about a group of humans and cyborgs questioning what it means to be human.

Kiseijuu - A young man fights the parasite that attempts to overtake his body in a world where parasites are quietly trying to take over the human race.

Log Horizon 2nd Series - Sequel to the popular NHK LN adaptation about players trapped in an MMORPG.

Madan no Ou to Vanadis - A young man is taken under the wing of forced to serve a powerful girl who wields one of the seven weapons given to warriors by the Dragons of the Seven lands as she goes into war.

Magic Kaito 1412 - A young man takes on his father’s role as a phantom thief to prevent a magical gem that grants immortality from falling in to the wrong hands. The opening theme is performed by a new rock band, LAGOON, whose members include an actress and a single mother.

Mushishi Zoku Shou 2 - The second half of the acclaimed sequel to Mushishi.

Nanatsu no Taizai - A shounen manga adaptation that is probably going to run for a very long time featuring a girl who tries to find the seven deadly “Sins”, warriors framed for killing her father, to save her Kingdom.

Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji - A girl makes up lots of stories about having amazing boyfriends and when her friends catch her in a lie she pretends a boy from her school is her boyfriend. He turns out to be massively sadistic, but their relationship isn’t over just yet.

Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu. - In this LN adaptation, a perverted boy with a thing for twintails is forced to become a magical girl to save the earth from invading aliens.

Orenchi no Furo Jijou - In this manga adaptation, a young man allows a merman who has moved in to his bathtub to hang around.

Psycho-Pass 2 - Second season of Psycho-Pass.

Sanzoku no Musume Ronja - A story about the young daughter of a leader of a gang of bandits who meets many things on her journeys, including mythical creatures.

selector spread WIXOSS - Second half of the original card game anime selector [word] WIXOSS.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso - A young piano prodigy has a breakdown after his mother and instructor dies, after which he can no longer hear music until he meets a free-spirited violinist.

Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis - An adaptation of the popular mobile card game that will cover the events prior to those of the time in which card game is set.

SHIROBAKO - Set in the anime industry, this anime follows five girls as they try to make it on their own.

Sora no Method - A large flying disc appears over a small town, and after the citizens get used to it a story involving a young girl moving back to the small town and another young girl with some relation to the flying disc unfolds.

TERRA FORMARS - This seinen adaptation follows special forces who try to defeat the cockroach people that threaten humanity on Mars.

Tribe Cool Crew - An coming-of-age story about a young boy and girl who learn that dancing together is fun.

Trinity Seven : 7-nin no Mahoutsukai - In this LN adaptation, a young man tries to bring back his cousin from another dimension as he attends a magical school after a climactic event that shakes the world.

Ushinawareta Mirai wo Mitomete - In this VN adaptation a group of students try to make the most of a Cultural Festival held in a school building that is scheduled for demolition.

World Trigger - A young boy is roped into helping a mysterious organization defeat invaders from another world.

Yowamushi Pedal : Grande Road - Sequel to the popular sports cycling anime.

Yuki Yuna wa Yuusha de aru - A young girl named Yuki Yuna joins the “Hero Club” at her school as they deal with a mysterious being called Vertex.

• edited 2014-10-04 08:42:32
    There is love everywhere, I already know

I'll be watching:

• Aikatsu! 3rd Season

• Donten ni Warau

• Gundam Build Fighters Try

• Yuki Yuna wa Yuusha de aru

And continuing:

• PriPara

• Future Card Buddyfight

• Cardfight!! Vanguard - Legion Mate-hen

• Lady Jewelpet

Maybes:

• Orenchi no Furo Jijou

• Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

00 is a tv show, but it's factually incorrect to say 00 is the last original show. AGE was before G-Reko and after 00. Even though it was crap.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Oh yeah AGE was a thing.

• edited 2014-10-09 10:24:28

(carrying from here)

> Green-haired plot device

wut

Hitomi.

Also, I hate Homura.

:D

Also there's two other most probable reasons why I didn't get as much direct emotional impact out of Madoka Magica as I expected.  First, it very much means to play against typical magical girl tropes.  Having not seen that many magical girl shows myself probably blunted the impact.

Was that really ever the intention? It's not hard to see the "play against" thing as more like Urobuchi being Urobuchi, and that just happens to result in playing against those tropes.

Second, I usually try to avoid making assumptions about how a setting ought to work, in general, so it was probably harder for me to get the feeling of having the rug pulled out from under me when I didn't really put down a rug in the first place.

Huh?

• First, it very much means to play against typical magical girl tropes.  Having not seen that many magical girl shows myself probably blunted the impact.

Not really. Or at least, this isn't true enough to matter. If somehow you had to be well-versed in the genre to get the show, it wouldn't be the most popular show in its genre by far.

• edited 2014-10-09 10:57:22

Naas_Human wrote:
    Hitomi.

Oh, her.

Also, I hate Homura.

:D

=..( to you too

Naas wrote:
    Second, I usually try to avoid making assumptions about how a setting ought to work, in general, so it was probably harder for me to get the feeling of having the rug pulled out from under me when I didn't really put down a rug in the first place.

Huh?

The idea of coming into a story with presumptions of how it should work, based on things like knowing the genre or writer or other real-life information about the work.  I actively try to avoid this, though the downside is that if a work's intention is to play off of those assumptions, it'll be less effective at doing so when I try to avoid having those assumptions in the first place.

Anyway it's just me speculating.

• I was asking how that applies to PMMM itself.

I hate homura for the simple reason that she is a villain from the very start of the plot and the show wants to paint her as a good person. She is not a good person, she is a crazy psychotic stalker willing to destroy the world for a friend she just met. Also the MadoHomu fans are basically whitewashing her issues here too.

Naas_Human wrote:

I was asking how that applies to PMMM itself.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out things like, why didn't Mami's death have much of an emotional impact on me.

vandro wrote:
    I hate homura for the simple reason that she is a villain from the very start of the plot and the show wants to paint her as a good person. She is not a good person, she is a crazy psychotic stalker willing to destroy the world for a friend she just met. Also the MadoHomu fans are basically whitewashing her issues here too.

She's also been trying to do this for, like, the nth time or so.

I dunno.  I mean, it's a matter of opinion, I guess.  Maybe I'm just much more sympathetic to and empathetic with her and her struggle.

Incidentally, I don't ship MadoHomu.  My headjury's still debating what exactly Madoka represents, incidentally.

• How does Mami's death have anything to do with "assumptions about how a setting ought to work", though? I get that her dying partially establishes how the show's universe operates, but still.

• edited 2014-10-09 13:01:17

It's meant to be unexpected; it shocks Madoka and Sayaka who didn't think that death would be on the line, and it serves as the first "wham episode" changing the previously lighter tone to a darker one (note also the change in ED).

But then if you know the show's gonna take a darker turn, it loses that shock value.

Granted, everyone in the fandom who made headless Mami jokes is partly to blame for this.

• edited 2014-10-10 04:32:15

It's not a "shock" for the audience, though. If anything, the prologue sequence already hints that the tone isn't actually light.

edit: what I mean is the change in tone isn't a shock. The specific event that signalled it might be, but the show already hinted about the tone.

The reason she's been trying for the nth time is because she herself has rewound time nth times. It's her choice that things keep spiraling out of control, no one else has any agency on the show until madoka fulfills her original destiny of being a magical girl.

• Possibly seizure-inducing, but it does a far better job at portraying how powerful Gae Bolg is. Better than the 2006 one where it just bounced off the ground before impaling her. And I guess ufotable really want to emphasize how Cu Chulainn is a far more intimidating opponent than Fate/Zero's Lancer was. That's not really hard to convey, but I can appreciate the effort.

• edited 2014-10-15 13:42:46

> finally run across the description for Log Horizon

> people stuck inside an MMORPG

oh gosh, not that plot premise again

(To be fair, it could be very well done.  This is just me posting my initial reaction to seeing this premise again.)

• Pretty sure there aren't even that many shows with that specific premise. Unlessyou expand to a more general "people trapped in another world".