If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2013-03-04 06:59:21
    There is love everywhere, I already know

If I accidentally drop my Hibiki, something will actually break instead of "naturally" detaching for easy reattachment.

Oh yeah. I never thought about that. And I do keep them on a kinda high shelf >_<

Do the upcoming ones have that issue?

Not really... I'd say they're semi-good (much like certain figmas but I can't think of one right now).

Well, even a really plain camera can work, assuming you don't plan to upload pictures in HD.

I just suck at taking pictures, so I'm hoping a good camera can offset my terribleness.

Also, damn you planned out all your spending, even though it's only early March?

Yes I'm crazy like that.

Also a lot of the time I preorder to save myself the pain of "Limited Release/Edition is now sold out forever", so this is kind of the next logical step.

To be honest I did kind of forget about ordering the Plastic Model Eureka Seven Mecha, but that only set me back 4900Y

• How many Cinderella Girls characters are there?

Available Characters

* denote characters from the previous Idolmaster games.

Cool

Chinatsu Aikawa (相川千夏) 
    Akizuki Ritsuko (秋月律子)* 
    Hina Araki (荒木比奈) 
    Honoka Ayase (綾瀬穂乃香)
    Hattori Touko (服部瞳子)
    Helen (ヘレン)
    Hiiragi Shino (柊志乃)
    Karen Houjou (北条加蓮)
    Yoriko Hurukawa(古澤頼子)
    Megumi Ijuuin (伊集院恵)
    Nao Kamiya (神谷奈緒)
    Kate (ケイト)
    Mizuki Kawashima (川島瑞樹)
    Haruna Kamijou (上条春菜)
    Ranko Kanzaki (神崎蘭子)
    Manami Kiba (木場真奈美)
    Aya Kirino (桐野アヤ)
    Chihaya Kisaragi (如月千早)* 
    Ayaka Kishibe (岸辺彩華)
    Chinami Komuro (小室千奈美)
    Chiaki Kurokawa (黒川千秋)
    Sarina Matsumoto (松本沙理奈)
    Matsunaga Ryou (松永涼)
    Miyu Mifune (三船美優)
    Azusa Miura (三浦あずさ)* 
    Seira Mizuki (水木聖來)
    Hijiri Mochizuki (望月聖)
    Honami Nishikawa (西川保奈美)
    Minami Nitta (新田美波)
    Yasuha Okazaki (岡崎泰葉)
    Yukimi Sajou (佐城雪美)
    Chie Sasaki (佐々木千枝)
    Shiori Sena (瀬名詩織)
    Rin Shibuya (渋谷凛)
    Shijou Takane (四条貴音)* 
    Rei Shinohara (篠原礼)
    Koume Shirasaka (白坂小梅)
    Riina Tada (多田李衣菜)
    Kako Takafuji (鷹富士茄子)
    Kaede Takagaki (高垣楓)
    Reiko Takahashi (高橋礼子)
    Noa Takamine (高峰のあ)
    Ai Tougou (東郷あい)
    Mutsumi Ujiie (氏家むつみ)
    Otoha Umeki (梅木音葉)
    Rumi Wakui (和久井留美)
    Saki Yoshioka (吉岡沙紀)
    Yume Narumiya (成宮由愛)
    Arisu Tachibana (橘ありす)

Cute

Nana Abe (安部菜々)
    Yukino Aihara (相原雪乃)
    Erika Akanishi (赤西瑛梨華)
    Haruka Amami (天海春香)* 
    Miyako Anzai (安斎都)
    Fuka Asano (浅野風香)
    Clarice (クラリス)
    Karin Domyoji (道明寺歌鈴)
    Tsubaki Egami (江上椿)
    Yao Fueifuei (楊菲菲)
    Mai Fukuyama (福山舞)
    Anzu Futaba (双葉杏)
    Hibiki Ganaha(我那覇響)* 
    Miyo Harada (原田美世)
    Rena Hyodo (兵藤レナ)
    Kyoko Igarashi (五十嵐響子)
    Akiha Ikebukuro (池袋晶葉)
    Kana Imai (今井加奈)
    Setuna Imura (井村雪菜)
    Makoto Kikuchi (菊地真)* 
    Sae Kobayakawa (小早川紗枝)
    Koharu Koga (古賀小春)
    Miho Kohinata (小日向美穂)
    Sachiko Koshimizu (輿水幸子)
    Shinobu Kudo (工藤忍)
    Nene Kurihara (栗原ネネ)
    Wakaba Kusakabe (日下部若葉)
    Miku Maekawa (前川みく)
    Misato Manaka (間中美里)
    Saya Matsubara (松原早耶)
    Kanako Mimura (三村かな子)
    Frederica Miyamoto (宮本フレデリカ)
    Yukari Mizumoto (水本ゆかり)
    Arisa Mochida (持田亜里沙)
    Azuki Momoi (桃井あずき)
    Hasumi Nagatomi (長富蓮実)
    Yuka Nakano (中野有香)
    Chieri Ogata (緒方智絵里)
    Saori Okuyama (奥山沙織)
    Yuriko Onishi (大西由里子)
    Kotoka Saionji (西園寺琴歌)
    Satomi Sakakibara (榊原里美)
    Momoka Sakurai (櫻井桃華)
    Hiromi Seki (関裕美)
    Uzuki Shimamura (島村卯月)
    Noriko Shina (椎名法子)
    Seika Suzumiya (涼宮星花)
    Aiko Takamori (高森愛子)
    Yayoi Takatsuki (高槻やよい)* 
    Miyabi Tsukimiya (月宮雅)
    Kiyora Yanagi (柳清良)
    Miyuki Yanase (柳瀬美由紀)
    Chika Yokoyama (横山千佳)

Passion

Yumi Aiba (相葉夕美)
    Nagisa Aino (愛野渚)
    Miria Akagi (赤城みりあ)
    Mary Cochran (メアリー・コクラン)
    Naho Ebihara (海老原菜帆)
    Ami Futami (双海亜美)* 
    Mami Futami (双海真美)* 
    Cathy Graham (キャシー・グラハム)
    Yukiho Hagiwara (萩原雪歩)* 
    Ayame Hamaguchi (浜口あやめ)
    Ayuna Hamakawa (浜川愛結奈)
    Yuki Himekawa (姫川友紀)
    Akane Hino (日野茜)
    Mio Honda (本田未央)
    Miki Hoshii(星井美希)* 
    Nina Ichihara (市原仁奈)
    Shouko Hoshi (星輝子)
    Rena Koseki (小関麗奈)
    Mika Jougasaki (城ヶ崎美嘉) 
    Rika Jougasaki (城ヶ崎莉嘉)
    Natsuki Kimura (木村夏樹)
    Hinako Kita (喜多日菜子)
    Mahiro Kitagawa (北川真尋)
    Yuzu Kitami (喜多見柚)
    Ibuki Komatsu (小松伊吹)
    Shiho Makihara (槙原志保)
    Itsuki Manabe (真鍋いつき)
    Kumiko Matsuyama (松山久美子)
    Iori Minase (水瀬伊織)* 
    Sana Miyoshi (三好紗南)
    Kirari Moroboshi (諸星きらり)
    Takumi Mukai (向井拓海)
    Emi Namba (難波笑美)
    Meiko Namiki (並木芽衣子)
    Hikaru Nanjo (南条光)
    Natalia (ナターリア)
    Sora Nonomura (野々村そら)
    Shizuku Oikawa (及川雫)
    Yui Ohtsuki (大槻唯)
    Kaoru Ryuzaki (龍崎薫)
    Yoko Saito (斉藤洋子)
    Eve Santaclaus (イヴ・サンタクロース)
    Marina Sawada (沢田麻里菜)
    Ema Senzaki (仙崎恵磨)
    Natsumi Soma (相馬夏美)
    Umi Sugisaka (杉坂海)
    Aiko Takamori (高森藍子)
    Airi Totoki (十時愛梨)
    Suzuho Ueda (上田鈴帆)
    Tomoka Wakabayashi (若林智香)
    Miu Yaguchi (矢口美羽)
    Rookie Trainer (ルーキートレーナー)
    Trainer (トレーナー)
    Veteran Trainer (ベテラントレーナー)
    Master Trainer (マスタートレーナー)

Others

Senkawa Chihiro

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Zetsuen no Tempest 18: Forgiveness, Emotions and Everything Else

This episode impressed me even more than the one before it. Yoshino has finally convinced me that he's a good complex character, Juunichirou is somehow no longer anoying and even the show itself thinks Samon is an idiot!

Zetsuen no Tempest 19: Learning, Friendship and Crazy Princesses

The crazy outfit continues to make appearances, fourteenwings explodes with joy. Honestly though, those were some pretty solid action scenes choreography-wise.

I like how Mahiro and Yoshino resolve the Aika situation. It's smart, emotional and not dumb, which is what I was expecting.

Fraulein is... surprisingly good, unlike most of Nana Mizuki's other characters. May the curse be broken? I like her theory with magic/tech but I'm not sure that's where I want the show to go... (though she's right since "The Civilization Blaster" is the danged subtitle of this story). The entire thing sort of reminds me of Lovecraft, in a good way.

Then we come to Hakaze's time travel plan. I'm seriously looking forward to Episode 20!

Notes: I want to hate the Hakaze/Yoshino thing so much but Hakaze is kind of convincing me otherwise. To be honest I don't think I can name another female anime character whose love isn't only a thing she acknowledges and can put on a backburner, but can also make crazy decisions based on it and doesn't seem anti-feminist (cause it's not, but it's usually portrayed that was.

• edited 2013-03-05 09:47:28

moar_aoi_yuuki

Hibiki is doing the ore sanjou pose, while Madoka's is an attempt at emulating this. Mainly because Ultraman Nexus is like the only other Japanese super hero show I can think of with such blatant Faust references. Look, it doesn't make any less sense than Hibiki being Momotaros.

@fourteenwings Vox Aura 70 percent off on HLJ, in case you might be interested. There's a "private warehouse" function to get them to hold an item if you'd rather combine shipping with a possible later order. Speaking of Vox Aura, mine should arrive sometime this month.

• edited 2013-03-05 10:01:56

Zetsuen no Tempest 20: What the who the that was... an episode

Okay, aside from the... thing, the episode is pretty straightforward. I liked it a lot.

Vox Aura 70 percent off on HLJ, in

And it's the good one too! But I'm trying to consider the price range of all the possible BD Box prices and I'm a bit scared (and I can't work triple-shifts again unless I want to die of exhaustion)

I might get it if it's still discounted sometime in the future, but I'll probably pay full price (ooooor it'll be out of stock)

Why is nerding so expensive...

• edited 2013-03-06 20:25:49
    Has friends besides tanks now

"Actually, do guys even like meat and potatoes?"

"Isn't that just one of those urban legends?"

"It's true! It was in one of those magazine surveys!"

Already really glad I started watching Girls und Panzer. Pretty funny so far.

EDIT: And then the Tankery instructor runs over a fucking car. Scratch that "really glad;" I already love this show. The adorable march that plays during those types of moments certainly helps, too.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Vox Aura looks a bit like Nirvash Type Zero.

• edited 2013-03-06 20:30:00

Girls und Panzer is great.  It definitely deserves its popularity.  The jokes are funny and the sensha-do matches are exciting and the whole thing is like Saki but better and there are lots of little bits where they animate background characters or scenes where in other anime it would just be like a slideshow and generally the whole thing is just really well done.  It's too bad that its production got so screwed up though, but fortunately the last two episodes are coming soon.

• Has friends besides tanks now

It also has a really nice OP.

• edited 2013-03-06 21:49:44
    Has friends besides tanks now

dear god

how the fuck are they allowed to bring tanks into the city for fights

they blasted potholes into the road

this is an awesome show

EDIT: "They hit my shop! . . . Now I can get a new one!" This is the most fun I've had in a long time.

Vox Aura looks a bit like Nirvash Type Zero

Looks more like Tauburn from Star Driver but in green.

• edited 2013-03-07 09:43:56

Why is nerding so expensive...

There should be like, a documentary on that, and whoever makes one should interview Chris "Milk Daddy" Ho, aka Internet Personality Vangelus.

Anyway, is it just me, or is there this limitation for "teenagers with superpowers" anime, in that non-powered characters don't get to kill monsters or beat villains in any significant number of occasions? Not just actiony shonen stufff, but any anime where the main hero or heroes are superpowered teenagers.

• Why should they?  The superpowered teenagers are the main characters, so of course they should be the ones who beat the villains.

• edited 2013-03-07 11:02:26

Well, they don't necessarily need to beat the final boss or whatever, just be effective enough that the hero could not have won without them. Not in a "I'm strong because I fight to protect people" kind of way, but that those people actually help him in combat.

Would you (general "you", not you specifically) say this is because anime with super powered protagonist(s) tend to have few "muggle" recurring characters, and/or usually pushes them into the background?

• edited 2013-03-07 12:18:50

just be effective enough that the hero could not have won without them.

I'm pretty sure that can be done, but most of the time the premise places a limitation on that stuff. Like in Precure, if that one guy with a Guitar threw his guitar at the Akanbe and something happened it wouldn't make much sense.

anime with super powered protagonist(s) tend to have few "muggle" recurring characters,

This I think depends on the show. Sometimes there'll be 3 kids with powers and lots of non-powered support people and sometimes it'll be Dog Days.

Would helping them psychologically count? Cause that happens a lot.

There should be like, a documentary on that, and whoever makes one should interview Chris "Milk Daddy" Ho, aka Internet Personality Vangelus.

Documentaries about nerds always end up weird.

Hey @fourteenwings!

/saves

IN OTHER NEWS: Danganronpa confirmed for summer.

AAAAND: Apparently Fairy Tail is not canceled? And something important will happen during the rerun (Which has a new name* and is obviously not a rerun but a new surprise timeslot durrhhh)

*Fairy Tail Best!, if you care.

• edited 2013-03-07 14:20:08
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So where do Badass Normals count?  Do they count on the hero level or the NPC level?

Also, Precure 2013 calendar.  Print out? y/n

• edited 2013-03-07 15:42:06

Why would you want a Smile Precure calendar instead of any other Precure series at all?

Also, in the September/October one, Miyuki should totally be taking this opportunity to dress as Wendy so she can have an emotional connection with her husbando Peter Pan.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Because that's the only Precure calendar I've found so far?

• edited 2013-03-07 16:11:50

Make your own!

Alternatively, Toei actually does provide official calendars for each series (or... at least some of them) on their websites, but it seems you can only get them while the show is actually airing, so it may be difficult to find them for anything except Dokidoki!.  And so far Dokidoki!'s is looking kind of boring.

• edited 2013-03-07 23:42:52

It is a PV, I can hardly care.

Speaking of Bandai Distros, the full list for Spring is: Susei no Gargantia, Karneval, Arata Kingdom and Space Battleship Yamato 2199. There are two series on this list that need English subs, they aren't Karneval (or Arata Kingdom).

Vividred Operation 06: The fanservice episode.

Some of the gags were actually pretty funny to be honest and even though not much happened (aside from proving that Akane is as blunt as an overused knife) it was fun. Not the best comedy episode ever but I liked it well enough.

Vividred Operation 07 & 08: Vividred has a well-written and interesting plot?What kind of witchcraft is this?

Okay, so aside from how awesome the last fight was and how actually interesting the lack of Operations made episode 8, there was actual plot and tons of character development. This is still Vividred right? There was suspense and emotion! Seriously!

I like how not only Akane interacts with Rei (which is what happens on a lot of shows). It's also nice to have some Granplush plot that's serious. I hope Himawari gets to interact with Rei a bit more, cause I think that would be an interesting relationship.

I'm sort of surprised to find Wakaba so out of the spotlight since Himawari was last to join, but of course I don't mind cause Himawari (and her VA) are awesome.

Then we come to Akane, she doesn't develop in these episodes but (as Aoi points out) she acts as the center for everybody else's development. Aoi, Rei, Himawari and Grandplush all turned out great.

As for Vivid Shining Sky, not better than Aoi's or Himawari's (or Rei's) EDs but it's a good song.

I wonder when they'll let people back into Tokyo.

• edited 2013-03-08 13:33:14

I'm pretty sure that can be done, but most of the time the premise places a limitation on that stuff. Like in Precure, if that one guy with a Guitar threw his guitar at the Akanbe and something happened it wouldn't make much sense.

Yeah, I guess so. Is there any super hero sort of anime where the premise doesn't prevent non-powered people from killing villains? Mecha doesn't count, unless it's say, the JSDF using giant robots to fight alongside super beings.

Is there any anime like that? Doesn't necessarily need to involve the JSDF using giant robots, but it needs to have muggles being effective in combat alongside super powered beings. Just wondering if there's an anime that did something similar to say, what Ultraman Nexus* did for the anti-kaiju team. As in, actually make them effective at fighting monsters, to the point that the "super" character gets rescued by them. 'course, Ultraman shows are a major case of the premise not placing this limitation.

Would helping them psychologically count? Cause that happens a lot.

Not really, since I'm looking for something that seems to be rare.

Documentaries about nerds always end up weird.

Well, I'd just like to see Vangelus in one. The guy makes getting broke look like fun.

So where do Badass Normals count? Do they count on the hero level or the NPC level?

That depends on the show, I guess. Is there any anime with a Badass Normal on the hero level, like uh, Batman when part of the Justice League?

*best Japanese example I can think of

Unrelated: There was an anime about a magic pharmacy? It looks oddly colorful for something that sounds medical-themed. Can't find fansubs beyond ep. 1 too. Seems really obscure, but I'm curious now.

• Unrelated: There was an anime about a magic pharmacy? It looks oddly colorful for something that sounds medical-themed. Can't find fansubs beyond ep. 1 too. Seems really obscure, but I'm curious now.

I'm pretty sure it's less "medical-themed" and more just magic.  But yeah I found out about that a while ago and was immediately crushed when I learned that there are no fansubs.  ARR would probably do the rest, but of course that would require donations.

• edited 2013-03-09 01:08:51

Today I was planning to have a little weird anthro cat anime mini-marathon with Cat Soup, Tamala 2010: A Punk Cat In Space, Night on the Galactic Railroad (1985 version), and Spring and Chaos.  I only watched the first two though and I'm too tired for the rest right now. :/

Anyway, Cat Soup was really good but it may have been 2deep4me since I didn't actually realize what the plot was until I read a summary on Wikipedia afterward... >.> (well, I got that it was about the brother bringing his sister back to life and whatnot, but somehow I missed the fact that they were actually going on a journey specifically to do that.  Somehow I had the impression that stuff just sort of was happening and that reviving his sister was just a convenient side-effect).  But it was full of interesting imagery and cool animation and DARKNESS in a way that I thought was intriguing as opposed to just... DARK.  Also, desert water elephant best girl.

Tamala 2010 was weird and I don't know if it was weird in a good way or not.  Parts of it were cool and I liked Tamala as a character and the setting managed to combine being dark and gritty with cuteness in a way that wasn't awkward.  But on the other hand, the entire second half of the movie is just a giant infodump that leads absolutely nowhere (actually, it's pretty interesting, but the fact remains that there isn't really much plot development after the halfway point).  Still, overall I think I liked it for the most part, and it's kind of a shame that the later Tamala OVA isn't subbed (and that none of the other planned Tamala projects panned out).

Also if there are any other surreal/dark/unusual-in-any-way cat anime movies/OVAs, might as well bring them to my attention now because for some reason I want to watch them.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I have wanted to watch Night on the Galactic Railroad for the longest time.

• edited 2013-03-09 02:30:45

^^^ Sometimes I feel like I should learn another language just so I don't have to count on subs getting made. This is a bit broader than anime, but I am mostly thinking of Japanese stuff.

aoiyuukiselfcest.jpg(?)

Is actor-based crosseover-shipping a thing?

Also, you can't really tell from the picture, but I lost one the back fins on Hibiki. Not sure if I'll be able to find it now... :crying

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

I have wanted to watch Night on the Galactic Railroad for the longest time.

Me, too.

Anyway, Cat Soup was really good but it may have been 2deep4me since I didn't actually realize what the plot was until I read a summary on Wikipedia afterward... >.> (well, I got that it was about the brother bringing his sister back to life and whatnot, but somehow I missed the fact that they were actually going on a journey specifically to do that.  Somehow I had the impression that stuff just sort of was happening and that reviving his sister was just a convenient side-effect).  But it was full of interesting imagery and cool animation and DARKNESS in a way that I thought was intriguing as opposed to just... DARK.  Also, desert water elephant best girl.

No arguments here. Cat Soup is one of my favourite short films ever for precisely those reasons.

Also, as a fan of surrealism and cartoons with cats, I approve of your current endeavour and shall perhaps do the same myself.

Odd little aside: Why is it that 3/4 of those films are horribly sad on some level? Is it a thing for avant-garde animated Japanese films with cats to be heartbreaking? I guess it ties into the whole notion of cuteness as a complement to bleakness.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

So Hashirama and Madara definitely have some Romeo and Juliet shit going on now.

• edited 2013-03-09 17:01:03

Night on the Galactic Railroad was kind of underwhelming.  It felt like it took too long to get started, and then once it did there wasn't really enough interesting content to make it worth it.  The first event after Giovanni gets on the railroad (visiting the mine/dinosaur fossil/whatever it is) I liked a lot, and the scene with the bird-catcher after that was really good, but after that it sort of just turned into people sitting on a train and talking about heaven which seemed to be far from the most interesting direction it could have gone in...  I guess it's just not to my tastes, but in any case it was my least favorite of the three movies I've watched so far this weekend.  And I guess I'll be watching Spring and Chaos later tonight, probably, so I'll see how that is then.

Sometimes I feel like I should learn another language just so I don't have to count on subs getting made.

Me too.

Fortunately, unsubbed anime tends to usually be kids' shows and the like, which are easy enough to more or less understand even without really knowing the language (just knowing stock phrases and certain words should be enough to at least follow along).  Unfortunately, that doesn't apply to everything and it doesn't apply at all to written material.  Which is extra annoying because even when manga is translated, scanlations tend to be unbearably bad.