If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Immaturity... perhaps.

• edited 2012-10-28 10:26:02
    I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

It really has to do with the idea of 'spaghetti.' No one on /v/, at least, is going to be claiming alpha status but they are afraid of being the "beta." The whole idea of spaghetti, however, began as a parody of people's stories about them going to gamestop and feeling awkward, but eventually people began to adopt it as a way to talk about their social awkwardness. Of course, anyone on /v/ who cares about being a beta or not probably has some self-esteem issues to care about what people think of them on -/v/- of all places.

Between that and "that feel when virgin/no gf" threads, /v/ has completely lost its goal to talk about video-games and is instead a place where you go to feel lonely.

• edited 2012-10-28 10:26:09
    Definitely not gay.

I was just going through some of Hatter's posts and that made me think of this whole thing

^"spahgetti"?

• edited 2012-10-28 10:28:36

SEXML.jpg

This copy-pasta basically sums it up.

• Definitely not gay.

Great

now I'm sad AND hungry

• It's just a buzzword that caught on. On a related note, "pleb" has apparently spilled to the rest of the internet. It's probably my least favourite one yet, so I'm dreading my friends finding out about it six months from now.

• Definitely not gay.

Just finished watching Howl's Moving Castle

is it wrong that I want to see a Zelda version of it now?

• Kichigai birthday!!

Actually /v/ is mostly videogames now, people now go to /sp/ or /mu/ for >tfw no qt p2tie gf threads

• If we want to add as much surprise as possible to this avatar thing, I guess we could try this:

• Anyone who wants to participate sends a link to the avatar they think represents them to either me or someone else who would like to organize this. It really does not make a difference to me either way.

• That person randomly determines what avatar people will get.

• Once that is done, the person PMs everyone taking part with a link to their assigned avatar.

I think Saturn's idea could definitely work too though, especially if we combine it with what Noimporta said. Anyhow, I would be glad to make the thread if people want to do it that way.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Actually /v/ is mostly videogames now, people now go to /sp/ or /mu/ for >tfw no qt p2tie gf threads

Wait, so then, what is /adv/? Because I would have thought that was more of an /adv/ thing, and for a time, it seemed to be.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    Well, that's /adv/ too. And /r9k/. I meant boards where those kind of threads are off-topic
  • /tv/ has plenty of that too. Fueled by characters such as the Driver and Jorah from Game of Thrones.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    I apologize for stealing your schtik IA, but it really is a quicker way to relay a story, especially using a phone keypad.

>Crashing with friends in a guest room while visiting their relatives out of state.

> they end up telling me I snore and have erratic breathing while sleeping

> when story is relayed to folks(a few are in the medical field)they think it might be sleep apnea

>it fits, explains my chronic shortness of breath and general lack of energy

>I remember sleep apnea can people heart attacks in their sleep

>sudden reminder of my mortality. Fear of dying alone/suddenly kicked into overdrive

Like I'm already making plans to see a doctor, but busy freaking the fuck out.
  • They're somethin' else.

Yeah... Good luck, Alky. I don't think it's THAT serious, but don't let dread overtake everything else.

• With so much foreveralone kissless virgin schtick clogging up the boards, it's pretty easy for peeps to think 'normally adjusted person who can talk to the other sex without slipping into a stutter' is synonymous with alpha. Or they mistake every number obtained/dance/hug/smile/wink/wet willie/drinking from the same water bottle(we all know who I mean) with 'yeah, she wants me'.

That said, it's a tad silly to chastise them for using the alpha/beta dichotomy to create a false sense of superiority when one uses all the tropes of it('childish', 'lonely nerds') to deride them in the same sentence. Correct me if it's off-base, but I'm parsing it as 'welp, I know I'm in the same boat, but at least I don't have any delusions about it', not to mention how it draws inane correlations between natural introverts, choices in entertainment and hobbies, relationships as a must and psychological issues blamed on external factors.

• Champion of the Whales

IJBM: People who write AH with Oswald Mosley as the leader of the United Kingdom

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

That said, it's a tad silly to chastise them for using the alpha/beta dichotomy to create a false sense of superiority when one uses all the tropes of it('childish', 'lonely nerds') to deride them in the same sentence.

That's not really silly at all. I have never met someone who is a self-styled alpha who I'd believe for even a second was actually "getting all the women" or what have you. 

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Alkthash I have the same exact problems as you listed there, as in the strange sleeping behavior and mortality fear problems.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Also "Omega Male" sounds like a good title for something.

Tired of so many alpha and beta males, a mild-mannered man decides to become the Omega Male.

• edited 2012-10-28 17:48:19
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

So hey, Hurricane Sandy.

Apparently it's going to totally wreck our shit. So if I'm not around for a day or two, it's cuz the power got knocked out.

Also "Omega Male" sounds like a good title for something.

One's memetic badass of choice? Teddy Roosevelt, Chuck Norris, Makmende, Kamina, whomever. 

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Newsflash from Poland: another person involved in a shady investigation - this time the presidential crash - has "committed suicide". I wonder when it will happen to that financial pyramid guy I mentioned earlier.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Thoughts on Frankenstorm: If it means my Tuesday class(es) get(s) cancelled and I don't have to turn in a 6-page paper I haven't started yet, that's fine!

Seriously, who the hell is Thomas Kuhn, even? (I need to apply his thesis on scientific revolution to some revolution or other, somehow)

• The answer is paradigms, all paradigms all the time.

• edited 2012-10-28 18:40:15

Its kind of funny that omega male seems to be a sort of well-adjusted folk when used colloquially, when in terms of the pack hierarchy, the omega male is literally the lowest male on the pecking order. And tends to get treated accordingly. But packs will even mourn his loss when he dies, so there's that.

Thanks to BBC knowledge I can correct people about trivial things and feel snooty about it.

Alkthash: I wouldn't worry too hard about it, I've had a real shitty liver all my life (when I was 16 I was told I needed to be a hardcore alcoholic, in layman terms, to do the same amount of damage), so there was that fear of mortality, but there are a lot of ways that you can counter-act any problems and you can look at how low, relatively speaking, the mortality rate for just about everything is. As for me, providing my next blood test doesn't disprove me, I've managed to basically counter-act most of the damage and have a (relatively speaking) healthy liver

Yes, Omega is technically at the end of the Greek alphabet. Meh.

• edited 2012-10-28 19:21:50
    Diet NEET

@Super Lazuli:

The problem is that it still adheres to a viewpoint in which nookies=succes. 'You act alpha, while you're actually still a beta' and 'alpha/beta are stupid categories to use' do not combo well.

In other news, jazz is goddam nice to dance too. Even if the rest of the peeps actually knew how to swing-dance, as long as you have a partner who keeps pushing through your embarassment, you quit caring after the first song.

• a little muffled

My cat has decided to station himself on top of my laptop bag. My actual laptop is not in there, but I can't imagine this is good for all various adaptors and such that are.

But...I don't want to try and move him.

• Give him a treat and then move the bag.

The problem is that it still adheres to a viewpoint in which nookies=succes. 'You act alpha, while you're actually still a beta' and 'alpha/beta are stupid categories to use' do not combo well.

I don't really find anything wrong with shooting someone down with their own systems. Even --nay, especially--if said systems are stupid.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

It's less a question of moral high ground and more a question of logic, and a lack of logic will weaken your position in any case.