If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2012-08-16 00:59:54
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

It's a rule now that you can only bring in "overnight guests" up to 3 times every 2 weeks.

Granted this probably won't stop anyone.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Oh. My school had that too. I thought you meant something more direct.

I've never understood how that was supposed to be enforced.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^You have to register guests at the front desks of whichever dorm you stay at, they can track how many overnight ones you have via your ID number.

Ah, I see.

None of the dorms at my school even had front desks, so I dunno what they did for that.

• edited 2012-08-16 01:29:53
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

At my undergrad place, guests just had to be checked into the dorm by a resident.  Where I did my master's, though, you had to surrender some form of ID in order to enter, in addition to a resident checking you in.  Then again, the latter's location was in Manhattan, while the former's was on the banks of the Charles River in greater Boston.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I feel like Chihaya Kisaragi.

I'm living by myself and a total noob at cooking.

(Not to mention that we're both intensely musical.)

• Kichigai birthday!!
    >Will leave to college in a month

>Mother decides we should watch Toy Story 3

THAT WAS SUCH A GREAT IDEA MOM ;_;
  • That's just toying with you.
  • edited 2012-08-16 14:18:16
    Has friends besides tanks now

^^ Wait, are you only just now heading out to college? I would have thought you were older.

I saw a post warning against watching Toy Story 3 on my class's FB page, too. Go figure.

^ That was too easy.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^ Cool story, bro.

• edited 2012-08-16 14:49:34
    Kichigai birthday!!
    @ Everest I'm 19, but I failed two years in high school because I was a shitty student
  • edited 2012-08-16 15:22:30
    Has friends besides tanks now

Ah.

I was held back in first grade (and almost in kindergarten before that) because I only had one friend, and supposedly had Tourette's, or something like that, so I'm pretty old for my grade, what with turning 19 early September.

• "^ That was too easy."

Yeah, I should've tried to build up a little buzz, first.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

So, the Blue Angels are doing an air show in Chicago and they flew over my college's campus a couple times.

It's cool, but I can't help but be a little worried.

• http://captainawkward.com/2012/08/11/the-c-word/

I love reading through posts like this(do check out the links if you have the time), but am utterly baffled how they keep getting Chronicles of the Great Feminist Struggle stuck in the Autist's Universal Guide to Human Interaction. In my humble default-privileged opinion, it at once dramatizes small snippets of social interaction and trivializes the flip-turned-upside-down of the patriarchy by molding it into a set of dating lessons. The connection's plain as day, but I don't think it's very productive: Mr. Autist won't benefit from a crash course of the sliding scale of social awkwardness to boundary violations unless the aim is to fuel his woe-is-me self-image, and Ms. Feminist won't benefit from a swarm of 'how do I into women?' derails.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    so i just drove by a pickup truck painted like the Confederate flag

I didn't know you were in Alabama.

Anyway, I just finished my Dark Souls review. Will post it tomorrow.

• Is that game hard?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Yeah.

It's a game in which you're not really 'the protagonist'. Well, you are, but only really insofar as the other characters are, too. And the game world doesn't really give a shit if you live or die, and will treat you accordingly.

• edited 2012-08-16 18:58:28
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Is that game hard?

Not as much as its reputation suggests. It penalizes death pretty heavy, but it's not significantly harder per se than the average AAA game. It's more concerned with making you worry about dying than just constantly killing you like a lot of people will say.

I'd argue that the one thing that's actually difficult about it is that it never actually explains the leveling and equipment systems, so new players tend to wind up having really ineffective characters. The wiki is very helpful in that regard.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I'd argue that the one thing that's actually difficult about it is that it never actually explains the leveling and equipment systems

Personally, I'd say that it is pretty hard. Well, in more the same way that normal games are, really; it relies on the player's skill. Only, in this case, the game is not forgiving of mistakes at all, whereas most games at least have an easy mode where less-skilled players can expect to be forgiven if they screw up a few times.

most games at least have an easy mode where less-skilled players can expect to be forgiven if they screw up a few times.

That is a fair point, but given that the whole point of the game is to be intimidating, I'm not sure that would work.

• Dark Souls needs a hard mode a lot more than it needs an easy mode, really. :/

I am reminded of that ages-old argument wherein people talk about how frustration is inherent to gaming, and games should be incredibly challenging in order to provide that sense of challenge, frustration and eventually exultation as they overcome the challenge.

In the end, Dark Souls doesn't want to be a game which can be won by unskilled players. Which is fine, but it does mean that there is a certain level of challenge inherent to the game, which makes the game hard. And not everyone can, or wants to, play a game which is designed to be frustrating for most of its play. Some people do, and the game is the sort of game that caters to them, and that's okay- for some games.

• edited 2012-08-16 19:10:39
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I am reminded of that ages-old argument wherein people talk about how frustration is inherent to gaming

I really don't get how it's frustrating. Does it force a defensive playstyle? Yes. Does it try to intimidate you? Yes. But other than maybe the Ornstein and Smough fight and parts of blighttown, I can't really call it frustrating.

In the end, Dark Souls doesn't want to be a game which can be won by unskilled players.

Grinding is a thing.

It is frustrating because there is always a threat of dying, and that threat is followed up on far too often.

It is not followed up on towards more skilled players, because they have the skills to, yunno, not die. Less skilled players find the game immensely frustrating because of the commonplace deaths, though.

In my experience, it's not really a matter of skill so much as learning the appropriate strategies.

And then being able to pull them off, which is a lot more complicated than it sounds.

It took me nearly three dozen attempts to kill the first Blue-Eyed Knight in Demon's Souls, for example, despite figuring out how after the first three or four. It took me another dozen tries after that to be able to do it reliably.

IMO, Demon's Souls actually is signficantly harder than Dark Souls.

I found Demon's Souls to be significantly easier than Dark Souls.