If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• You can change. You can.

While it is true that non-force attuned people physically CAN use light sabers, they generally avoid it because they are dangerous and not worth it in the end. Add to that the fact that all of the really cool things about light sabers (deflecting blaster bolts etc) generally come from force-influenced reflexes and so at its best in a normal persons hands its a glowing sword in a world filled with guns.

Oh good. Thought it was some sort of EU bullshit ret-conning one of the many Han Solo moments that make kids go "Han Solo's my waifu!"

• edited 2012-08-14 10:26:49
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The hilts have mass and can provide weapons-compatible balance.

Yeah, but they have no physical blade.

When I talk about mass, I am not talking about weight- I am talking about there being a physical blade there, instead of a bunch of floating plasma. Swords have to worry about a variety of things, including silly things like stopping if they hit things.

Lightsabers, meanwhile don't have an actual blade. They tend to just keep going and going until the wielder stops them- or they hit something that is lightsaber-resistant, which is generally Force-related stuff, such as lightsabers, or materials like Mandalorian iron or phrik.

Although I think they do feel some resistance when they, say, cut through durasteel doors and stuff, but Jedi tended to use the Force for that anyway.

^ Yeah, I shouldn't have said 'only'. It's just that they're really not very good weapons for most people- vibroblades tend to do better.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Except if the lightsaber forms imply that power and brute strength can be beneficial in lightsaber combat, that implies otherwise. But then, in the films, we see them cutting through stuff like nothing. But then, we also see them skidding off objects. 

So the jury's out on this one because Star Wars contradicts itself (again). 

As for the nature of the blade, it still can't dominate the principles that bind straight close combat weapons. Some things just work when something is straight and lengthy, no matter the nature of the impact surface. The biggest difference would be that a lightsaber's blade is omnidirectional, but even then, regular swords are built with human biomechanics in mind -- you'd still get the greatest speed and efficiency via strikes aligned with one's knuckles or thrusts. 

vibroblades

are they...sound swords

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Except if the lightsaber forms imply that power and brute strength can be beneficial in lightsaber combat, that implies otherwise.

If I am reading it correctly, I believe that is more to do with lightsaber-on-lightsaber combat, which is where the whole 'they act as solid objects if they hit things which resist them, such as Force objects' things come in.

Oh, there's also the fact that lightsabers can have multiple power settings- training blades from the prequel films can even be grabbed by the blade and the grabber (only) suffers burns and severe bruises, for example. I dunno how that works.

But apparently light-whips exist, so fuck it, I give up, I'm going to bed.

> Star Wars EU

The entire problem. :|

Puhretty much.

Mind you I'm sure there are good stories there. It's just that uh, the whole thing is...well. trying too hard.

• Okay, I'll grant you that lightsaber combat would resemble established swordstyles.

But what if...there was a form based entirely around wielding the blade with telekinesis?
  • edited 2012-08-14 11:50:51
    Has friends besides tanks now

So you know what's no fun? When I was putting my contacts in, I somehow pulled out an eyelash that then ended up on my eye. It then ended up getting tucked into the little crevices of my eye, so that I couldn't just wipe it out with a finger. I ended up using the contact lens itself to get the eyelash out. That wasn't any fun.

@Lightsabers: I can't imagine that wielding lightsabers would be more than slightly different from wielding a real-world weapon, and the "slightly" only comes from the lightsaber presumably weighing less/being counterweighted differently from a real sword.

• edited 2012-08-14 12:02:43
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

But what if...there was a form based entirely around wielding the blade with telekinesis?

Given how force-telekinesis works in the movies that don't suck, you would slowly lift your blade while your opponent walks up and decapitates you.

• If we're talking about the EU, I'm just going to say Sun Crusher lol

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

@Lai: Because it stops teaching kids chemical reactions through combat scenarios?

• edited 2012-08-14 12:46:09
    I'm a damn twisted person
    Also one thing to remember about the light saber fights in the original movies. The props they used for the ligjtsabers were insanely heavy so that sort of limited their choreography options.

As for Jedi being quasi pacifists vs mooks one explanation I read was that Jedi sometimes try to disable opponents by cutting off their limbs, figuring that since cybernetics are apparently common and cheap in Star Wars they can get a replacement later.
  • Nah, I kind of like being contary to you. I don't really mean it though.

Also one thing to remember about the light saber fights in the original movies. The props they used for the ligjtsabers were insanely heavy so that sort of limited their choreography options.

The other thing is that the prequels are post-Asian cinema influx. Whereas the original saber duels are a combination of Kurosawa samurai duels and Errol Flynn sword fights, the latter films carry much more influence from Chinese wuxia martial cinema. As I remember it, the original intent of the original lightsaber duels was to make them "dignified and deliberate", and the weight of the props played into that nicely. The prequels, on the other hand, focused more blatantly on spectacle and the lightsaber combat followed. 

Finally, as mentioned, the originals had Bob Anderson doing the choreography. Not sure about the name of the guy who did that duty in the prequels, but he speaks a lot of bullshit in the makings-of and stuff. That's not unusual for fight choreographers, mind. 

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Isn't talking nonsense endemic to art folks in general though?

That's true.

But this was extra-special bullshit. 

• a little muffled

woo I'm nineteen

now I can...drink

• edited 2012-08-14 14:07:28
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Happy Birthday, Nyktos!

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Happy birthday!

• Has friends besides tanks now

Happy birthday!

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Happy birthday!

• edited 2012-08-14 15:15:32
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

This is pretty awesome, and I hope it will be continued.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Happy birthday.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Have fun with being able to purchase and imbibe alcoholic beverages legally Nyktos.
  • a little muffled

"Legally" is a pretty important word there.

But yes. Thank you for all the happy birthdays, etc.

• woo I'm nineteen

now I can...drink

Forgot you were Canada for a second.

Happy birthday!

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Happy birthday.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Happy birthday, Nyktos!