If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I like some of the ideas of lightsaber styles, mostly because I like that the idea of stepping and drawing into the force to create primordial magic sword skills but I'd go way more David Lynch-Grant Morrison-Michael Moorcock with it if I was told to write it.

• edited 2012-05-16 23:17:05
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

That aside, the special was pretty terrible. It, of course, ignored non-western influences on Tolkien and it got a whoooooole bunch of shit wrong (they say there are 'direct parallels' to the ending of the Hobbit and the ending of Beowulf. If they mean 'they both had a dragon' I agree with them.)

Everyone ignores the Indian mythology. Every time.

I like some of the ideas of lightsaber styles, mostly because I like that the idea of stepping and drawing into the force to create primordial magic sword skills but I'd go way more David Lynch-Grant Morrison-Michael Moorcock with it if I was told to write it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with them on a conceptual level, but they're just so much wrong on a fundamental level that there's nothing to build off. Apparently, they were first published in their own book as a guide to Jedi combat, which I gather was written by a fencer. An awful one, apparently.

Magical sword skills is totally something I could get behind, especially in context of Star Wars, but I think there also has to be a reasonable foundation before they layer on the magic. The way the styles are explained mechanically is an expert's guide to elegant suicide. This is before you factor in how vague terms like "offensive", "defensive", "aggressive" and "passive" can be when all these approaches can mingle in a thousand different ways. Really, they should just start from "actual swordsmanship meets precognitive powers" and run from there. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I thought that was because the Empire comes from the Republic.

yeah but shut up i haven't seen those movies.

Sometimes there's also a stupid amount of detail, like "protosabers" that needed a power pack on a cord to operate, which again contributes nothing.

i thought that was cool, because that was aaaaages ago

• You can change. You can.

yeah but shut up i haven't seen those movies.

do it

ignore your previous prejudices

just do it

star wars is a shitton of fun, regardless of the franchise it wrought upon this earth.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

yeah but

>watching the prequels

they are terrible, aren't they

so why would i watch them

Also, another thing I like about the Sith is how it's pointed out that although they are very powerful, and the Jedi have to be constantly careful lest they slip to the Dark Side, it's very hard to sustain an actual Sith Empire because the traits that the Sith encourage (such as turning on your friends and trusting nobody) leads the Empire to crumble in upon itself, time and again.

you don't have to. just watch episode IV-VI. I guess you can watch III if you really want to. (Which I felt was rather self contained, too)

They're bad but we've all watched worse films. Menace is interesting to me because it's artistically honest. It's very much the movie Lucas wanted to make and you can see his spiritual crisis in how he systematically de-mystifies the Jedi.

Which the EU picked up and ran with.

• edited 2012-05-16 23:21:03

^^^ I think the Sith actually having an empire is kind of weird. I mean, yes, technically there was the OT Empire, but that was run by the Emperor in a sort of "shadow organisation" kind of way. Most of his underlings probably had no idea they were working for a space wizard, and only had vague, distant conceptions of such an "Emperor". Vader was the closest they might ever get to see, and he may well have been considered a figure surrounded by more rumour than fact. 

you don't have to. just watch episode IV-VI. I guess you can watch III if you really want to. (Which I felt was rather self contained, too)

but the republic doesn't even exist there

does it

They're bad but we've all watched worse films.

yeah, but I like star wars

• What Indian mythology influences?

I'm afraid I've never seen that.

They're mostly in the Silmarillion, like the world being sung into existence.

no it doesn't. But there's Han Solo, and R2-D2 and (my personal favourite) Luke.

• edited 2012-05-16 23:23:43

The original Star Wars films are well worth a watch. They're modern classics for a reason, although I can't help but feel they'll probably be "ruined" to some degree by prior exposure to the EU. I was lucky enough to experience the OT off the bat. 

^^^ Ungoliant and Shelob have a lot to do with Kali, too. 

• edited 2012-05-16 23:27:19
    Oh yeah that was neat.

I should actually read that.

I don't think Kali was ever associated with spiders.
  • edited 2012-05-16 23:26:46
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I think the Sith actually having an empire is kind of weird. I mean, yes, technically there was the OT Empire, but that was run by the Emperor in a sort of "shadow organisation" kind of way. Most of his underlings probably had no idea they were working for a space wizard, and only had vague, distant conceptions of such an "Emperor". Vader was the closest they might ever get to see, and he may well have been considered a figure surrounded by more rumour than fact. 

From what I understand, the Sith swear allegiance to the Emperor because he's the biggest, baddest motherufcker around. I mean, in the end of the Jedi Knight storyline, you actually kill the Emperor- but it's not the Emperor; it's a Voice of the Emperor. And even that is because you're overpowered and he was weakened.

It's very much a Darwinian sort of thing. They get to constantly strive to challenge others and become stronger, but they also get to stand on the backs of others. They have armies, they have food suppliers, hospitals, and all that, because in the end, the Sith are still just human (or, uh, Sith, if you're a pure-blood Sith, or a Chiss, or whatever race.) They have a mystical connection to the Force, but even then, one man can't fight an army and win without using a Death Star.

The other thing I like about TOR, too, is how it humanized the Empire. Like, the Sith were all terrible people who kill each other and anyone who caguely annoys them, but it's shown that the people the Empire is built on are just... people. It doesn't remove the black-and-white morality entirely, it's still Jedi = Good and Sith = Bad, but it makes it less... morally clear, which I personally like.

Honestly I feel like adding a technological timeline is kind of silly for Star Wars. I mean I don't mind 'protosabers' or stuff like that but I'd prefer them to be ancient treasures of a lost era rather than a set technological piece.

In my ideal Star Wars mythology technology is pretty much static as it's just window dressing and timeline for stories can be set thousands of years apart with plenty of spaceships and laser guns in all of them.

Honestly I feel like adding a technological timeline is kind of silly for Star Wars. I mean I don't mind 'protosabers' or stuff like that but I'd prefer them to be ancient treasures of a lost era rather than a set technological piece.

Heh. The Jedi Consular storyline in The Old Republic actually has you constructing your lightsaber out of the hilt of the First Sword- the original Lightsaber.

Aside fromt hat, technology in Star Wars is mostly static. There's mentions of older technologies, and remnants of more advanced technologies, but that's it.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

In my ideal Star Wars mythology technology is pretty much static as it's just window dressing and timeline for stories can be set thousands of years apart with plenty of spaceships and laser guns in all of them.

That's pretty much how it is, though.  I mean, the movies and KOTOR are set like 3000 years apart, and almost everything is basically the same. 

the Sith were all terrible people who kill each other and anyone who caguely annoys them

you take that back

my inquisitor is a cool guy who just wants to be emperor so things will not suck for everyone

you take that back

my inquisitor is a cool guy who just wants to be emperor so things will not suck for everyone

And my Warrior is a Sith who wants to do everything she can to help the citizens of the Empire thrive

but damned near every Sith shown ever doing anything is a dickhead

• edited 2012-05-16 23:33:57
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>That's pretty much how it is, though.  I mean, the movies and KOTOR are set like 3000 years apart, and almost everything is basically the same. 

Someone hasn't read the novels or comics.

And really should be thankful for that.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Not in a while, no.

i have not ever read a star wars novel or comic

and in fact, this game is really the only star wars thing i have ever read and/or watched

• My Sith is a man of the truest honor! His blade fells the wicked, his force shields the weak, and...

...we're all playing light side Sith, aren't we?
  • edited 2012-05-16 23:37:59
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

...we're all playing light side Sith, aren't we?

i think we are

i also have a dark jedi and a... grey.. ish... agent :V

I'm playing Devil May Cry, nerds.

Light-side Sith or Light-side Imperial Agents, yeah

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

From what I understand, the Sith swear allegiance to the Emperor because he's the biggest, baddest motherufcker around. I mean, in the end of the Jedi Knight storyline, you actually kill the Emperor- but it's not the Emperor; it's a Voice of the Emperor. And even that is because you're overpowered and he was weakened.

But see, this is the thing. Everyone knew that Vader killed the Emperor, and it ought to have been left at that. We didn't need anything else, and the Emperor has been resurrected a stupid number of times. It cheapens the end of Star Wars a lot in my opinion, because we connect to Luke's growth into a Jedi and Vader's redemption.

And now I just realise that you're referring to TOR and I jumped to a conclusion. Which says a lot about the Star Wars EU. 

But see, this is what I'm going on about. There's no reason for there to really be a pattern. The Emperor we see in the OT could have been the only Emperor, and the Sith beforehand (insofar as there even needs to be a collective of them, which there probably doesn't) could have just been individual terrorists or what-have-you. There's heaps of ways it could have been done, but the EU recycles the surface-level patterns of the OT without actually hitting on its tone or appeal. 

I think a lot of it has to do with fantasy. More precisely, that a lot of the Star Wars EU really, really wants to be epic fantasy with sci-fi clothes when the OT was actually a fairy tale western dogfighting mysticism series. This is what the Jedi Knight games really do right; Kyle Katarn is a very "cowboy" kind of character with a good sense of humour, but he's also a space wizard knight swordsman. In tone, those games really encapsulate what makes Star Wars fun and engaging. During the Jedi Knight missions of TOR, I felt like I was in a facsimile of Star Wars more than Star Wars itself. It was just such a high fantasy experience in a way KotOR wasn't. 

• I was playing one of my Alchemist records and a mosquito landed on the wall beside me. He then began to move in a way that made it seem like he was shaking his ass to the music, so I recorded him. 

Now I kind of feel like some kind of pervert.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I'm playing Devil May Cry, nerds.

I think we both know that DMC is more like Star Wars than any Star Wars stuff barring the OT (and Jedi Knight games). 

No, really. Compare the tones of each production and how willing they are to engage in their own silliness. 

And now I just realise that you're referring to TOR and I jumped to a conclusion. Which says a lot about the Star Wars EU. 

yeah

i was referring to TOR

the Jedi Knight's storyline leads up to that

But see, this is what I'm going on about. There's no reason for there to really be a pattern. The Emperor we see in the OT could have been the only Emperor, and the Sith beforehand (insofar as there even needs to be a collective of them, which there probably doesn't) could have just been individual terrorists or what-have-you.

i don't know nothin' bout no pattern

as far as I know, there's just the Sith Empire, which eventually crumbles and falls allowing the Republic to rise, then Palpatine takes back over and creates the Empire again because lolsith lolultimatepower