If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I was going to point out "normal" (insofar as normal really exists) people can have and tend to have rape fantasies and would usually act them out with a consenting partner, no go raping anyone. Also to point out this: 

Stop the Presses! People find rape fetishism disgusting and as morally repugnant as paedophilia.

Reeks of intolerance, close-mindedness and moralistic faggotry.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Well, you weren't exactly helping anything, vandro, so it's probably for the best that the thread was locked first.

I don't aim to help I aim to give conflict a resolution.

• They're somethin' else.

When names were being named, I was like "aww, THIS shit again."

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Same here.

And it was the first thing I saw after waking up too -_-

• edited 2012-05-15 15:59:52
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I personally REALLY want to have a place where we can openly discuss TVT issues here, but...the results have not been promising so far.  As @INUH pointed out in a back room thread, we got a ban on page 2 and a thread lock on page 3.

• edited 2012-05-15 11:31:50
    Has friends besides tanks now

I don't aim to help I aim to give conflict a resolution.

When you put it that way, you make allcaps-y sarcasm seem admirable. If, in an argument, you're not even posting under the pretense of reasonable debate, you're better off not posting.

Pretty much. What I'm amazed at is how quickly it went down.

What is wrong with you people?  Seriously...

I would feel bad leveling that complaint at the forum at large. The problem here is that it only takes a couple of people to ruin a thread because they've forgotten the rules, and/or their manners. I'd be okay with reopening the thread, but, sad to say, it might require some people to be kept out of it.

I was so, so tempted to mudsling some TVT folks, actually. But then I remembered that's what drove me away from BTL and the like 10th Something Awful thread in a row.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

The problem here is that it only takes a couple of people to ruin a thread

You're right.  Point taken.

When you put it that way, you make allcaps-y sarcasm seem admirable. If, in an argument, you're not even posting under the pretense of reasonable debate, you're better off not posting.

Sorry, I don't follow, I really don't. Reasonable debate is a way to resolve conflict, and the best way at that.

• edited 2012-05-15 12:23:49
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

mod voice:

Okay, let's give this issue a rest, for at least a day.

I was hoping for more bizarre Battletoads photoshops.

I'm not arguing about the issue.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I wasn't targeting you specifically; just giving this issue as a whole some time to cool down, as we mods try to figure out an appropriate policy regarding stuff like this.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Halo, as reinterpreted via that one bit in Halo Legends about the child soldiers. 

You mean like that episode of the 90s Batman cartoon where every kid throws out a different idea of what Batman is like? Only with child soldiers chattering about Master Chief and whether or not Cortona is a holographic cocktease or not? Because if they are teenagers, it would derail to that point, if only briefly. 

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^Now that I would watch.

Seriously though guys, if you like Batman and haven't read 'Legends of The Dark Knight' the comic from the seventies that episode was based on you're cheating yourself.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Not quite. 

It's an alteration on the lore concerning the Spartans' origins. Basically, the main character (a girl in her early/mid teens, I think) was kidnapped years prior to undergo Spartan training. She ends up running away and returning home, only to find a clone of herself living with her parents, who were absolutely none of the wiser and has no idea she was ever gone. 

I'm not much of a Halo fan. When I used to go to LAN gaming cafes with my friends, we would play it reasonably often together and it was pretty fun, but in general I'm a bit bothered by the militaristic emphasis in much of modern AAA gaming to which Halo has contributed a lot. For that matter, I thought a lot of Halo Legends was pretty bad as well. But that particular segment?

Loved it to bits. Exactly the kind of story that should be shaking up the military shooter genre (sci-fi or not), even if it wasn't part of the games itself. 

• edited 2012-05-15 14:05:38
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

For that matter, I thought a lot of Halo Legends was pretty bad as well. But that particular segment?

Loved it to bits. Exactly the kind of story that should be shaking up the military shooter genre (sci-fi or not), even if it wasn't part of the games itself. 

The only segment I really consider weak is "The Package". The Duel was pretty amazing, and The Babysitter's focus on the Helljumpers was pretty interesting.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    SPARTAN THIRTEEN THIRTY-SEVEN!

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAAHHAA

• You can change. You can.

Man, the avengers theme is gone? Bluh.

Blame Nova

as a general rule, the answer is always "blame nova"

Seriously though guys, if you like Batman and haven't read 'Legends of The Dark Knight' the comic from the seventies that episode was based on you're cheating yourself.

I haven't found Legends :<

well, besides Gothic. Gothic was cool. 

The thing is, Halo Legends used the GASP THE SPARTAN HAS BEEN UNMASKED AND IS ACTUALLY A WOMAN thing twice which irked me quite a bit. 'Cause it's like, they're being condescending towards the audience and women at the same time, and in both cases the Spartan in question turns out to be stupidly beautiful. It's like this combined extreme reverence of women combined with implicit sexism, as though a woman being a warrior in a sci-fi setting that doesn't follow the social rules of our world would be unusual.

It might be something if there was some kind of pre-constructed barrier for women in that respect. And to be fair, there might be. I'm not that familiar with Halo lore. But given the tendency for modern gaming (and pretty much any kind of anime) to feature women as worthy combatants, they were just huge, "So what?" moments for me. I kind of felt that as a heterosexual male, I was being marketed towards, and it's never a good feeling when you actually notice it. 

Contrast: The Elder Scrolls. A lot of guards/soldiers/mages/random adversaries are women just 'cause, and it doesn't really make half a lick of difference. Or Mass Effect, where gender relations seem a lot stronger than during our time. Even if you're Male!Shep, some of the most important and influential figures in the game are women from both a narrative and mechanical perspective, but the game doesn't really make a big deal of it, you know? It's just taken as part of the reality of the setting, which really says what needs to be said. 

And while Japanese games can move between horrid and awesome depictions of women -- wait, no, I'll stop here. That's like an entirely different discussion and I'm thinking of Soul Calibur now. But I've made my point, and while I don't remember Halo Legends that well, the fact that what I brought up above is what sticks in my mind says a lot. 

(It was also another reason I liked the segment I initially pointed out, because I don't recall them making a big deal of the fact this Spartan was female or anything.)

• edited 2012-05-15 14:28:21
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

The Babysitter segment's unmasking was meant not for "GASP IT'S A WOMAN" but "GASP THEY ARE HUMAN".

The thing is, Halo Legends used the GASP THE SPARTAN HAS BEEN UNMASKED AND IS ACTUALLY A WOMAN thing twice which irked me quite a bit. 'Cause it's like, they're being condescending towards the audience and women at the same time, and in both cases the Spartan in question turns out to be stupidly beautiful. It's like this combined extreme reverence of women combined with implicit sexism, as though a woman being a warrior in a sci-fi setting that doesn't follow the social rules of our world would be unusual.

First, they were two different japanese studios working on their own segments individually, it's like faulting scientists to come up with the same equation at the same time in two different places.

• edited 2012-05-15 14:29:03

Apparently Kalinnikov's "Finale from Symphony No. 1" is in cut time. I have to play this (on clarinet) for the Maine All-State music festival on Saturday, but I haven't done much with any of the music because it looked really easy from my perusal of it. Perhaps that wasn't the case, but because I dismissed it out of hand, I have an annoying amount of catching up to do.

I know they were Japanese studios, but it's kind of more complex because I don't know how the Halo franchise deals with female combatants. So I'm trying to work with different possibilities. 

And yeah, I got that they were different studios, but you think that they'd try to ensure each one was covering different ground -- although, to be fair, Halo Legends had a lot of diversity within itself, so it mostly succeeded on those grounds. 

• Juan: heh, did I actually forget to type "on the other hand, David Bowie as Tesla"? But I dunno, DK made me feel exhausted by the end. Not even in a good way, it was just relentlessly nihilistic. I see this as a huge failing because it's a superhero movie where the superhero is, many times, absent. It's a Batman movie without enough Batman, which means it's a slasher movie.

"What is wrong with you people?  Seriously..."

Glenn, please don't do this. Thinking like this--defining modhood as being apart from and opposed to users as a whole--is a really quick way to ruin a site for everyone, especially yourself.
  • edited 2012-05-15 15:18:29
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I don't think it was as nihilistic as that. The situation on the two ferries, for example, was a pretty optimistic statement on people in general, I think. I might just be misinterpreting what you're saying though.

Glenn, please don't do this. Thinking like this--defining modhood as being apart from and opposed to users as a whole--is a really quick way to ruin a site for everyone, especially yourself.

I wasn't gonna say anything since the discussion up there was over before I noticed it, but I agree that that statement wasn't the best move.
  • You can change. You can.

I actually liked that it was a Batman movie without much in the way of Batman, but then again I've always been one of those dorks that prefers Gotham Central to almost every single Batman book

btw, all of you go and read Gotham Central for it is perfect. 

Also, I didn't feel TDK was entirely nihilistic. It's about a city facing a monster and winning, if only by losing so much. 

• edited 2012-05-15 15:25:19

Ooh, amusing thought I had: what if AP tests were graded to the same standard as the American education system at large? e.g. instead of a 45/90 earning you a 5/5 on the Physics tests, a 62/90 or lower was still a failing grade? It'd be funny (if a little sad at the same time) to see what sort of effect that would have on the academic climate.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I doubt anyone would even pass. :V