If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I'd say you are analyzing from the wrong angle, It's one continous story, if something can be considered a masterpiece, it's the Marvel Cinematic Universe as a whole, not a single movie in it.

• Board forming time of the year has come around. Not sure if I should repeat last semester's dragnet approach, if I have the experience to aim for chair, whether I'm not happier doing low-level committee functions that focus on just hanging with people, how to balance this with my thesis or if it even serves the secondary purpose of disciplining me into shape by giving me a regular schedule(something for which a mundane jerb would probably be better suited). 

Options so far: introductory week committee(15 hours a week),  faculty student council chair(8 hours a week), secretary/chief acquisition for the international student housing office(no indication of the hours, probably variable depending on the time of year).

• I'm a damn twisted person

Hawkeye comes in as the least interesting for me

Well at least that is fitting. Hawkeye has always been the "Why is this jerk who can shoot arrows on the team with an irradiated rage monster and a Norse god?" guy.

• edited 2012-05-02 10:50:02
    You can change. You can.

Hawkeye always felt like Marvel's answer to DC's Green Arrow to me. Except less communist and less cool. 

Honestly, I think The Avengers was pretty cool because it manages to develop each character after their respective stories. Even Loki gets a few changes from the manipulative dick that he was in Thor and becomes more like that annoying god brat we all know and love. 

It's not perfect, and it doesn't validate the superhero film genre like the Batman movie do, but I think it does something that superhero movies have failed to do to me and it's to transmit that sense of big adventure that superheroes should convey. 

And maybe it's just me, but even though I love the Nolan movies, I can't help but feel at times that they often do more harm than good by setting this expectations for superhero movies to be ultrarealistic gritty takes on the characters. 

Alex: Would you say that Avengers is watchable without having seen all of the lead-in movies? (I'm missing Thor and Captain America, iirc)

My sister watched it without knowing shit about Marvel. Apart from some questions here and there like "What is that thing in Charlie Chaplin's chest?", which I think you already know, she didn't do badly. 

• ^Well, good to see that people could come in completely blind(like me) and still enjoy it.

• Definitely not gay.

I'm going to see Avengers later next week.

Can anyone tell me what to expect without spoiling anything major? 

• You can change. You can.

Expect Joss Whedon jokes. Joss Whedon jokes errywhere. Like...enough sarcasm to kill three puppies twice.

Big action romp with lots of fun dialogue and great setpieces.

• edited 2012-05-02 11:09:03
    Definitely not gay.

From what I glean from this thread, there's a lot of character development too. That's good. The great thing about Marvel films is their ability to make believable character development. 

What makes me sad is that my neighbor was like :

Loki is such a whiner! He sucks as a villain(during thor)

Loki is still not that great of a villain, he should have not been The Avenger's villain.

• edited 2012-05-02 11:12:59
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Is there crappy forced romance? Because that's the one thing about some marvel movies that always annoyed me (watched Captain America last night. Was pretty good except for said crappy forced romance).
  • edited 2012-05-02 11:14:21
    Definitely not gay.

I was expecting Thanos to be the villain before I saw the official trailers. I don't know why.

^ The crappy forced romance was there, yes, but it was downplayed significantly. 

Crappy forced romance? Between whom? Captain America and Iron Man?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

That's good to hear, at least. Wouldn't have been a dealbreaker, but it's something that tends to annoy me.

The other two things I disliked about Captain America were that it got pretty silly towards the climax and the gratuitous slow-mo whenever he jumped (and only when he jumped, for some reason).

• Definitely not gay.

Out of the Marvel films, I think I liked Thor the best. It managed to develop both Thor and Loki as people, which is rather impressive.

• edited 2012-05-02 11:25:01
    You can change. You can.

Thanos is big enough to get the Avengers together, but Loki was the one who made it happen in the first place. 

Also, I thought Cap and Agent Carter was cute. 

dat last line ;~;

it got pretty silly towards the climax

See, people say that and I wonder if they ever even have heard of Captain America in the first place. 

^Thor was good, but it had some issues here and there, especially in terms of pacing. 

ETA: As for Avengers and romance, there are no romantic plotlines, although there are some hints here and there for two characters in the group, but that's about it, really.

• Definitely not gay.

although there are some hints here and there for two characters in the group,

Tony/Steve, right?

• edited 2012-05-02 11:28:05
    I'm a damn twisted person

Loki is still not that great of a villain, he should have not been The Avenger's villain.

Yeah like Juan said, Loki is pretty important to Avengers mythos/lore since his dicking around blowing up in his face was what made the Avengers form in the first place. Granted the original line up was Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Hank Pym and Wasp. And then Captain America was declared a founding member even though he joined the team later. Because he is the goddamn Captain America. 

Tony/Steve, right?

that's canon. you can't hint at it. 

Also, it always bothered me that the Avengers are called...well, the Avengers. It seems kinda villainy. Sure, the context is what makes the name a thing, but it seemed kind of unfitting to keep the name after that particular fight. 

• Definitely not gay.

A super-important question: is there a Loki vs Nick Fury fight?

That would be awesome, if a bit one-sided.

Alkthash, you know that, Juan knows that, my friend doesn't know and doesn't care when I try to explain it.

That would be awesome, if a bit one-sided.

Nick Fury normally doesn't get to fight because of this. It'd solve the Avengers troubles in just one page, tops.

"Boot, ant"

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

So it turns out the tickets I pre-ordered for Avengers are the wrong time. twelve hours the wrong time. Gonna have to beg the theater for an exchange or part with another ten bucks tomorrow. >_>

On a more positive note, the library actually had Name of The Wind so I'm reading that now. Is it bad that I'm kind of looking forward to the infamous sexomancy scenes?

Those aren't in name of the wind.
    Oh darn. =|
  • I may actually go see the Avengers this weekend based on what you all have mentioned in this thread, though I'm not 100% decided if I'd rather see it or Cabin in the Woods.

^^Trust me, that's a good thing. As of the end of NotW, Kvothe is 14.

Also, I thought Cap and Agent Carter was cute. 

Maybe if she'd had anything resembling a personality.

See, people say that and I wonder if they ever even have heard of Captain America in the first place. 

It's not that it got silly in and of itself, so much as that there's no buildup. There's just suddenly a GIANT FLYING FORTRESS OF DEATH.

^^Oh. Ahhhh. In the first thirty pages he's in his twenties so I was assuming it'd be more anachronistic.