If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Hey, have any of you found it hard to interact with other people?

Can you be more specific? Few people find interaction difficult as a whole, so it would help if you broke it down to what you're having trouble with. 

• Definitely not gay.

You know, when you try to talk to people but you think about what you're about to say and realize "crap, I might make myself look like an idiot" and end up not talking at all?

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I think that happens to pretty much everyone who doesn't make you think "what an idiot" upon meeting him.

Okay, so it's essentially social anxiety. My best advice would be to make short small-talk with shop clerks when you buy something or undergo similar minor social activity when out and about in the world. These people won't remember you in fifteen minutes let alone next week, even if you say something dumb. 

The essential trick with any kind of barrier is to start with something small and only mildly uncomfortable and to push your comfort zone from there. If you make a concerted effort to exceed your comfort zone, consistently, over a period of time, you'll reap the benefits soon enough. 

Alternatively, or in combination, ask questions rather than make statements. If someone says, "I'm a magician", ask "What kind of magic?". They might be batshit crazy and think they're a wizard, or you might learn that they're an avid practitioner of stage magic and end up enriching your knowledge base about the subject. In fact, asking questions is one of the best things you can do. Most people are justifiably willing to talk about their interests, and you can become very well liked with that behaviour almost alone. 

Following, prevent yourself from passing judgements. This sounds obvious, but sometimes things slip out, so you might have to train yourself consciously against it. At worst, you can discover new ways of thinking about things you previously disliked. This doesn't mean you shouldn't offer polite criticism, or critically implicit questioning (without it being passive-aggressive, of course), but you should avoid trivialising other people's points of view. 

In summary:

• Make regular, short small talk (small talk doesn't come naturally to me at all, so I hate this one)

• Ask questions (can be really interesting)

• Respond constructively (a good way is to use a new question that suggests they provide a more sophisticated answer about some aspect of the topic)

• Definitely not gay.

Oh, wow.

Thanks, Alex! 

No problem. I'm not exactly a social expert, but I've been through a similar process and the above advice helped me a lot. Sometimes I have to remind myself to behave as I just suggested, so it's a long process, but it always pays off. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The Old Republic has been downloading for 21 hours straight :|

• To be or not to be? That is the question.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout

Fallout is free for a limited time!

• Has friends besides tanks now

Shit. I should probably start packing for this weekend.

• edited 2012-04-05 18:30:13
    Diet NEET

Alternatively, (or simultaneously) use alcohol as a crutch and force yourself into social stuff by signing up for things that give you regular scheduled meeting times.

This is bad advice, but it might lead to amusing things happening.

• edited 2012-04-05 18:39:10
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^^Hell yes.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Why doesn't that ever happen with games I don't have?

• I think the creepy thing about Ayn Rand is that she seems like the kind of person that would kill everyone she hated if she could bring herself to perform the deed.

• You can change. You can.

had a trip with my sister, mom and a couple of friends. It was nice. 

Also, I know you probably won't listen, Alex, but I do think that you should exercise a bit of restraint with your posts, mostly because you often have good ideas, but they tend to be glossed over fluff and daunting walls of not-text-but-fucking-scriptures

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^Either that, or start offering to write essays for us. >_>

• edited 2012-04-05 22:03:06
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

>Change profile picture for April Fools' Day

>Mean to change it back to the correct Higurashi character at the end of the day

>four days later, still too lazy to change it back

^

that-makes-me-moist.jpg

i object more to the word moist than to the old lady's face, to be honest

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

• My PC randomly restarted in the middle of Skyrim.

I'm going to leave it for a while and play it again later. Guy doesn't appear to have done a very good job of fixing it up.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    So my mom thinks the two things ruining this country are political correctness and frivolous lawsuits (hand in hand, of course). I could have sworn the two things ruining this country were the government (and the people attempting to enter it) and voter/public apathy. :>
  • edited 2012-04-05 23:58:14

So you know how a little while ago I said I don't usually wish good series were longer?

Well nevermind, since I really wish Alien Nine were more than four episodes. :c

I know the anime doesn't cover the full story of the manga, so I could read that... but comics and animation aren't the same at all, so the experience will be totally different so I don't think I'll really be satisfied...

• Why is it that the one time I would like a road-related title I can't think of anything?

• edited 2012-04-06 00:31:07

How do you word a reference request to someone for stellar academic performance without sounding like a conceited ass?

• edited 2012-04-06 00:40:46
    Definitely not gay.

You know, I was just on Omegle with this guy

He was talking about his favorite video game series. It was about the antagonist of the previous series making a virus with an evil alien energy that made androids evil. You played as the first android produced and had to shoot your way through all these evil androids. I was like "meh, OK"

mfw I realized he was talking about Mega Man X

Also, I know you probably won't listen, Alex, but I do think that you should exercise a bit of restraint with your posts, mostly because you often have good ideas, but they tend to be glossed over fluff and daunting walls of not-text-but-fucking-scriptures

I should probably cut down, but I also like to provide an even, deliberate progression between ideas, elaborations and demonstrations. The balance is tricky, and I often find myself writing much more than I thought I had. 

• So, Xenoblade Chronicles is out today. How do you think I should go about playing it, for those who have played it already?

@Alex: I think it's important to maintain strictly Q&A. If someone presents either a need for you to elaborate on an idea, a counterpoint or something that leads to a tangent you want to discuss it, adress it. It's not like you have to write an essay where you have to address all of this during the duration of the text. It also encourages discussion as opposed to dissuade people from it. ("Oh hey, Alex already wrote everything abou the topic ever. Let's go home, guys")

• "To anyone who can't see this bizarre debate about Breaking Bad, I've been told I sound like a crack head for demanding a focus on story arc."

My life has certainly gotten weirder since I started following twitter. 

^^ But thoughts and elaborations and explanations. Thank you for the feedback, mind. I won't "stop" any time soon, but I'll try to remember to tone it down and limit myself to fewer paragraphs.