If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Because the ending's style is contrary in every way to how Bioware writes. Dozens of inconsistencies with very basic parts of the lore, decisions that change very little, not letting shepard ask questions, stuff like that.
  • edited 2012-04-04 20:44:34
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^I didn't. Stop projecting.

^Which is circumstances.  Give me statements by Bioware that actually say that and I will accept that premise.

• edited 2012-04-04 20:50:50

Your arguments did come off as "screw the audience", but whatever. At this point, we're just going in circles.

• edited 2012-04-04 20:46:40

So...you won't accept my premise unless EA tells bioware to publicly announce that EA is responsible for all problems with ME3?
  • edited 2012-04-04 20:51:46

I accept it as a possibility. A possibility isn't enough for me to say they should change a finished product though.

^^^Audiences don't know what they want until you give it to them. See Star Wars. Working too hard to please an audience isn't worrying about whether something's good. It's worrying about whether it will sell. It's perfectly possible to create self-satisfying art that also engages the audience.

And even if it fails, I'd never tell someone that they would have to change their work to suit me. I'd just... you know, call it shit and not buy it.

I don't see why changing a finished product is so inherently awful.
  • Has friends besides tanks now

-sigh- I really hope there's no truth to the saying, "if you want to know how a man will treat his wife, look at how he treats his mother", because somehow my mom brings out the worst in me, and I don't want to find myself in a position where I get that defensive with any new people in my life. Sadly enough, my friends have the same effect on me, especially the one who seems to think that his uber-virgin friends' inability to provide good, meaningful advice means we don't care that he's feeling down.

Can't wait to get to college. Really, it could not come faster.

• edited 2012-04-04 20:53:13
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

• edited 2012-04-04 20:55:38

^^^Well, I could get into the artistic dishonesty of taking something and mixing technological eras (see the Star Wars special edition films) but what it gets down to right now is how petulant fans are about this.

Bioware certainly has a right to change their work.

Fans do not have a right to work being changed if they don't like it.

^^I've known plenty of men with terrible relationships with their mothers who turned out to be fantastic husbands. Don't sweat it.

Oh, I won't argue that the fanbase is acting sane.
  • edited 2012-04-04 20:58:35
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I don't see why changing a finished product is so inherently awful.

I agree with this.  If something in a story that's pretty unarguably bad, the creator fixing it isn't some damning thing that ruins credibility.  It just means that they can accept that they made a mistake and try to fix it, which I don't see as a bad thing.

And video games are the one medium where this is actually a valid thing.  You can't patch a movie or a book.

Bioware certainly has a right to change their work.

Fans do not have a right to work being changed if they don't like it.

First off, yes, the fanbase is being particularly awful.  Whiny, entitled, all that crap.

That said, I don't think that if Bioware wants to change the ending, that they should refrain from doing it because of whiny fans.  That's just taking their ball and going home.  It's not much better than the fans.

If they want to change the ending, they should. 

There's nothing wrong with changing a work before publication because of negative feedback; in this day and age, changing a game after publication like this shouldn't be a sin either.

• edited 2012-04-04 21:01:06

The thing that really drives me up the wall is the idea that Bioware 'owes' them. What Bioware owed you ended when they gave you a video game for your $60.

^Again, if Bioware wants to do a 're-cut' of ME3 because they felt artistically unsatisfied that's fine.

If they're doing it to cull fans, that I have a problem with.

• You can change. You can.

^Again, if Bioware wants to do a 're-cut' of ME3 because they felt artistically unsatisfied that's fine.

If they're doing it to cull fans, that I have a problem with.

Are they necessarily mutually exclusive motivations?

• edited 2012-04-04 21:14:18

They aren't, but 'changing it because it wasn't good' should be a bigger priority than 'changing it because fans disliked it.'

I mean who knows. Maybe their true vision might be a Lucas-esque turn that's fans hate even more. And if that's what Bioware wants, well then... it's not a good thing, but it is their right.

Trust me, given that they're only changing the ending, it would be VERY difficult to make it worse.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

To be honest, I'd rather have a creator change a story for the better because fans were unhappy than to have a creator change a story for the worse, despite what the fans might think, because he wants it to be "closer to their original vision" or whatever (see: Lucas).

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I'll take a billion Lady in The Waters and Episode 1s before I would want to sit through things that are made because they think I'd like them. See Episode 2 or Jeph Loeb's Batman stuff.

All fiction is published because it's expected to be liked, it's naive to pretend that everything is born just out of an artist's wish and vision and not out of an artist's wish, vision and desire to either entertain or communicate. 

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Granted, it's certainly not an either/or question. However, I have a lot more respect for ambitious failures that generic pap. We remember Lady in The Water, albeit negatively. We do not remember Ninja Assassin.

• edited 2012-04-04 22:53:13
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

The ending of ME3...is not a failure of the ambitious variety. Basically,

Spoiler:
    a magic ghost kid shows up and gives you a multiple choice question. You pick an answer, and this determines some minor cosmetic details in the minute-long cutscene that ensues. Despite the whole thing being about five minutes long, there are dozens of plot holes.

Unless you buy the other theory (which I do), in which case 

Spoiler:
    Shepard gets knocked out and there is no resolution.

Granted, it's certainly not an either/or question. However, I have a lot more respect for ambitious failures that generic pap. We remember Lady in The Water, albeit negatively. We do not remember Ninja Assassin.

to be honest, I wouldn't say that Lady In The Water was particularly ambitious, but I see your point, I guess.

All I'm saying is that if both sides want to change the ending, if only because the first one is not that good and because there's an economical profit, I don't see what's wrong with it. If you don't like it, you don't have to pay.

• Definitely not gay.

I for one don't buy the Indoctrination Theory.

Just seems like too much fan-wank.

^There's a lot of stuff that has no purpose if it's not true, up to and including bringing back Harbinger's VA to have him say one word.

• edited 2012-04-05 00:09:21
    Definitely not gay.

Speaking of ME, one of my friends has a hard-on for Liara.

Hee hee...

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I remember Ninja Assassin, because I have a friend who likes K-Pop.

• edited 2012-04-05 00:19:38
    I understand that Something Awful is supposed to be a joke, but I'm not sure I get joke what the joke is for "Your Band Sucks". Is the perspective supposed to be that of a judgmental record store owner or something, and that perspective is the joke?
  • No rainbow star
    My right ear STILL feels clogged

It's annoying =/
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

ToR is still downloading, what the hell