If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Has friends besides tanks now
    So, question: how much better does Haruhi get after the events of the first novel? Cause I read that one, and I thought it sucked a bit. Or, I remember not liking it that much, at least.
  • Stop reading the novels and just watch the anime?

Granted, I didn't read the novels much either, but I don't think I ever really will since what I've read from them wasn't exactly very well-written.

Though I'm sure much of that has to do with the translation I read, not necessarily the quality of the work itself. 

• edited 2012-04-04 12:42:26
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I've read the first five novels, and I didn't really like them that much. And the writing style was kind of clunky and annoying, but I'unno how much of that was the translation I had and how much was the actual writing.

The anime is way better. Especially the movie.
  • edited 2012-04-04 13:08:20
    Has friends besides tanks now

Hm. I mostly meant the plot/character interactions; I remember the prose in my copy being passable, but the actual events of the book, and the character interactions and stuff, bored me.

• Well, the events of the first book were my favorite story arc from the anime.  But, it's not completely representative of the rest of the series, since after that there's less exposition and whatnot, and more varied stories.

Still, the basic premise stays the same, so...

In any case, I'd still reccommend watching at least the first season of the anime, preferably in the order it was originally broadcast. 

Okay. Sadly, it's not high up on my priorities list;

gotta finish Nichijou

gotta finish NGE

gotta finish Future Diary

gotta start Nisemonogatari

gotta at least look into some other stuff

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

gotta move that gear up

Also I thought I wrote a post here a few minutes ago but it seems like it didn't get posted.

I was just gonna mention that I'm using a square screen right now and the experience is interesting--pretty much no other time do I have the text on this site parked against a small margin from the left edge of the screen.  I wonder if I can do something with this on a widescreen monitor but put another window on the side.  Hmm, I can do that with friends/buddy lists for IM clients...

Also, biological gender is decided before you're born.  When you're born, if you consider birth to be at conception.

>mfw I can't finish this video before I have to leave for a concert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GggY4TEYbk&feature=related

• edited 2012-04-04 14:24:07

Hm... so do I buy K-ON!! (K-ON! season 2, that is) on DVD, since I actually have the ability to play DVDs?  Or Blu-Ray 'cause it is better even though I don't have a Blu-Ray player?  Although, I only have the DVDs for the first season so it'd be silly to get the BDs for season 2 since then they wouldn't be the same...  But still...  Also, it's being released by Section23 Films so the DVDs are going to look worse than Bandai Ent.'s DVDs for season 1 due to more episodes per disc.

Since apparently the first volume is coming out in June, so I might as well order it now/soon. 

Answer: DVD because anime companies are apparently conspiring to take all my money.   

wait what

• To be or not to be? That is the question.
  • edited 2012-04-04 14:51:41

^^ Well, see, the second season of K-ON! is being released on DVD and Blu-ray soon.  I want to purchase it.  On one hand, I can't actually watch Blu-rays, so it'd seem like a waste to buy the BD version, but on the other hand I probably won't watch it on DVD either since the fansubbed release I have is a BDrip, and therefore much higher quality than the DVD (and presumably only slightly worse-looking than the actual BD).  So either way I won't actually watch it, I just want to buy it to support the the industry in general, and TBS/KyoAni in particular.

However, I don't have a steady source of income due to not having a job, so I do not have much money to spend on anime and the like.  Also, there are other things coming out soon or that came out recently that I want to spend my money on.  In particular, I'm somewhat tempted to spend like $100 on Strike Witches season 1 and 2, but also there are other things.

In any case, the total cost of the things that I want right at this moment is larger than the amount of money I can actually spend on those things, so it'd make sense to buy the cheaper version of K-ON!! (that is, the DVD version).

On the other hand, the difference is only like $5 (or actually $10 since it's only volume 1 of 2) so I'm kind of back to where I started.

Still, I'm probably just going to end up getting the DVD because realistically it doesn't matter too much for reasons I've stated before, and I'd rather all of my K-ON! discs be the same format for aesthetic reasons.

• a little muffled

Haruhi novels are way better than the anime tbh. (Though the anime is good too.) The official translation is not great but it is good enough.

Haruhi does get better, but slowly, and she doesn't stop being...Haruhi. She is if anything worse in the second book, too.

• You can change. You can.

Haruhi does get better, but slowly, and she doesn't stop being...Haruhi. She is if anything worse in the second book, too.

how's that a good thing

• a little muffled

How's what a good thing?

I'd get the DVDs if only for the fact that they're much more versatile than blu-ray discs in being viewable by a random friend's hardware if you plan to lend it to someone or some random club's hardware if you are going to show it to a group of friends.

• No rainbow star
    I like stumbling upon fan made lyrics for instrumental songs. Such as these lyrics for the Song of Storms:

From the sky, to the ground, rain is falling all around

Thunder, rain and wind. The Song of Storms begins

Play a song, a melody, and everybody will see

The Hero of Time has come

How's what a good thing?

Well, you said that the books were better than the anime and then said that Haruhi was more Haruhi-ish in the second book, which is pretty much where I lost you.

• edited 2012-04-04 16:22:24
    a little muffled

Yeah but that's true in the anime episodes based on the second book too. I meant the second book as compared to the first, not to the anime.

• edited 2012-04-04 16:22:40
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ Well Haruhi was more Haruhi-ish in the Sighs episodes of the anime too, so...

dammit nyktos
  • edited 2012-04-04 16:37:26

Haruhi being Haruhi-ish is like half the reason the anime is worthwhile.

Except in the English dub where Kyon becomes the best character and Haruhi is meh.

• edited 2012-04-04 16:42:54

@Everest: May I borrow your spare time?

Haruhi being Haruhi-ish is like half the reason the anime is worthwhile.

Explains why I don't like it, huh.

Anyway, today's one of those days where I wish I was religious and wish I could become a monk or something. 

This is becoming a rather frequent thought.

Worrisome.

• I'm a damn twisted person

The whole fuck everything and just focus on some solitary thing?

• edited 2012-04-04 16:54:13
    Has friends besides tanks now
    ^^^^ But Haruhi being Haruhi is exactly what deters me from watching it. ._.

^^^ Sure. Don't have much to lend this week, though, relatively speaking.
  • a little muffled

Haruhi may be more tolerable if you think of her as the antagonist.

The whole fuck everything and just focus on some solitary thing?

Not focus on some solitary thing. Just...unfocus on anything but the self, but I can't because wheeee, depression and shit

• edited 2012-04-04 17:14:44

Nova, your invite is sent.  Also, I seem to be incapable of typing your handle correctly on the first try.

I also apparently got 22 more invites, so anyone else who wants a SWTOR trial invite is welcome.

Oh, thought it was only just one or something. Sure, I'll take one (Provided I don't have to activate it right away?)

• edited 2012-04-04 17:17:59

Oh, thought it was only just one or something. Sure, I'll take one

Well they originally gave everyone three invites, but I looked again and I guess they gave us more.

Or I'm just stupid and misread 3 as 25 or something.

(Provided I don't have to activate it right away?)

You have two weeks to activate the trial from when you recieve the email.