If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2012-03-18 12:51:12

I mean, I understand where you're coming from.  In fact, I thought the same way at first.  Then I played Dark Souls and I was glad I did.

If you want a more realistic assessment of it, it's pretty much like a 3D version of the Castlevania series, except it doesn't suck like the actual 3D Castlevania games did (referring to Dark Souls.  Demon Souls is different, I think).  It really isn't perfect, but it is pretty well-done for the most part, and the people that talk about it most are likely to be fans, so of course the things you hear about it are likely to be more positive than necessarily reflects the game.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

If you want a more realistic assessment of it, it's pretty much like a 3D version of the Castlevania series

Probably the best colloquial description of it I've heard. 

There's also the fact that the games ignore some elements almost completely. For instance, you could criticise both games on their lack of a strong plot or developed characters -- but because the whole experience is essentially a lonesome Metroidvania with an emphasis on survival, neither are highly relevant factors. The games express the experience they were aiming to invoke.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Oh, a few other thing I should warn you about: Demon's Souls knocks off half your health until you kill a boss if you die, and neither game allows pausing, which annoys some people.
  • No rainbow star
    Well, I finally called work

The boss I did get told me he has no idea what's going on and I should call again tomorrow

My parents say that I just caught them

off guard and that they are avoiding telling me I'm fired

If I am fired, then why the hell avoid telling me? It wastes both our time
  • I'm a damn twisted person

and neither game allows pausing, which annoys some people.

For what is essentially a single player experience, that is completely bullshit. Dealbreaker right there.

They're technically MMOs.

And you can essentially pause by quitting the game thanks to the absurdly high frequency o autosaves.

It's not really much of an MMO if you can never interact with the other players. And the autosave thing doesn't make sense because from what I've read if you die or quit you are kicked back to the start of the level.

Guys, you won't convince me to like these games or try them.

• Well if you're not going to ever be convinced to buy a game if it gets praised, then it's a little silly to ask for suggestions for what games to buy.  Do you just want us to recommend games that we only have lukewarm feelings about?

But you do interact with other players. Just not constantly.

You aren't kicked back to a checkpoint unless you die. If you quit, you resume exactly where you left off.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

Resident Evil 5 was pretty okay, I guess. 

• You can change. You can.

Juan - "I'm really annoyed at the fact that I read comic books right now :|" <-- Trouble finding one you want to read, or did you run across some of the less savory parts of the fandom?

Sorta. Spent most of my morning reading articles about the New 52's Catwoman and Red Hood and the Outsiders, or as I like to call them: "Gotham City's pseudofeminist and actually misogynist Sirens"

needs an snappier name, definetly.

DYRE - that's twisting my position. My wariness is because you guys have praised the game too much.

• edited 2012-03-18 13:21:49
    You can change. You can.

I'd argue that you shouldn't judge a game (or a work for that matter) based entirely on how much other people have talked about it, especially because it means missing out on a lot of things you might find enjoyable. 

Of course, again, it's your money and your choice, so I can't force that, but I will say this much: You shouldn't dismiss something because you don't believe that it will raise to the expectations other people have set up, if only because you shouldn't listen to people heaping too much praise to something if they're not giving a reason it is good or at least interesting. 

However, I can understand the whole over exposition thing. Hell, that was kinda why I postponed watching Madoka instead of watching it when it was released. I prefer judging something without having someone by my side going all, "Hey JUAN! ARE YOU LIKING THE THING I RECOMMENDED!". Unless I really feel like discussing it, which is normally at the end.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I didn't like when my cousin cleared Demon's Souls, I didn't like when he started Dark Souls, it was only when a friend started playing it that I found myself interested.

• This discussion could do with more accusations of hipsterism.

Anyhow, hung out with one of my old bros yesterday and he is still having hang-ups about his ex of 3 months ago, and finds new dudettes he meets to be shallow/phony/cheap in comparison. I hope they aren't the first traces of a full-on bitches-and-whores syndrome.

• edited 2012-03-18 13:58:20
    No rainbow star
    A site selling penguins yet misspells 'thaw' as 'thore' and claims to be overstocked yet is sold out. Seems legit >.>

Edit: "If your Penguin get's ill in any way. Local vetrinary clinics can easily treat them, as there body structure is very similar to most mammals."

Please say that this is a joke site

Juan, the problem with that argument, that I shouldn't listen to what other people say about a work, is that it it leaves me with only two ways to evaluate the quality of a work and see if I find it appealing. Either first hand observation which is the most accurate for forming my opinions, but the most time consuming, or looking at the official talk about the work which will usually be filled with self congratulatory bullshit.

I said entirely for a reason.

• I platinumed Asura's Wrath a week ago. Now to wait for the DLC coming out soon.

• Huh, only now do I find out that Blender has been given an internal renderer that doesn't suck.

• edited 2012-03-18 18:45:47
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Finished rereading The Name of the Wind.

Starting The Wise Man's Fear.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

If I got those games for whatever reason I would go in looking for flaws so I could go "see, no game could possibly be as good as these folks have made it out to be"

The game is quite flawed in a lot of ways, actually.

Many bosses in the game are far, far too exploitable, to the point that it makes the game less fun on a second playthrough. It's entirely possible to kill some bosses without even moving from in front of the fog gate. Hell, it's possible to remove half the challenge from one boss fight without even entering the fog gate.

The game lacks a pause feature. This is because the game is, technically, a multiplayer game (Although not an MMO; it lacks the 'massive' part of the requirements for that), but it's still really annoying. I've had people call me in the middle of a boss fight when I had 90,000 Souls on me, so I died and ended up losing all of them when I died again trying to get back to the boss. I recognize why this happened- because other players can come in and try to kill you at any time- but it's still bullshit.

The game requires way too much grinding for a game which purports to be a survival horror game. Not so much for souls, because it's entirely possible to run through the game at Soul Level 1, but to find upgrade materials for your weapons, because without an upgraded weapon, it's damn near impossible to win through a level to get to the bosses, let alone actually kill the bosses. I have yet to see a Soul Level 1 person wielding a Longbow that can actually use the weapon effectively.

The game is often unfair in its' mechanics. It expects you to be able to pick up how to fight its' enemies near-instantaneously, or else dying and losing any progress you've made. It took me dozens of fights to find an effective strategy I could use against the skeletons in 4-1, and I still risk death from them sometimes.

But overall, the game is a fun game. It sets out to do exactly what it accomplished; make a game that is not easy to beat. You can alleviate this somewhat by grinding and raising your soul level/upgrading your weapons, but on some level, it's all about skill.

And there is very little that is more satisfying than killing a fifty-foot tall knight with a lance that can shoot laserbeams.

• Oh goodie, I feel like shit again. The next few weeks oughta be fun.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

If it helps, at least you live in the same state and it's still possible to rectify that.

• edited 2012-03-18 19:08:51
    Has friends besides tanks now

Yeah. The music kind of invoked excessive drama within me anyway; by "it's my fault", I really just mean his taste in TV/movies doesn't match up with mine so I just immediately hole up in my room and do what I would normally do, and if it's Friday he goes out to a bar later at night.

It's one of those things that's not as simple as setting your mind to it. At least, I speak from experience, so make of that what you will.

Surely there are things besides watching movies you could do with him.

• No rainbow star
    My dad just said that "Feminazis, Abortionists, and Libby Lefts" dominate the judicial board in Canada and shouldn't be allowed as they're biased. He also says that he, "Hates Libby's"

v.v;
  • edited 2012-03-18 19:16:31
    Has friends besides tanks now

^^ I suppose, but I suppose there's also the matter of my finding his personality a little boring, if not occasionally grating, as well, so extended time in his company would most likely, eventually turn into silence until he asks me about college, or swimming, or something, in which case I don't talk much because I'm not really interested in detailing my life to people, even though he wouldn't really know because he left the household a few years ago, before I started really defining my interests for myself.

It was probably for the best that I vented here; I have a more solid grasp on our relationship now.

Besides, I have Fall of Troy to cheer me up.