If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^This is a good policy. Also, why I'm waiting on ME3.

• In one of my classes, we each had to research an issue and then write a paper arguing against whatever our position on the issue was, in order to teach us about argumentation.

I'm probably incorrect here, but I'm not sure I agree with how that works; it strikes me as enforcing a certain creed of "we have to respect everyone's opinions, even if those opinions are wrong", and listening to everyone present their papers, I heard a lot of seriously weak arguments as a result.

And it'd probably run into more than a few problems, but what if the assignment were "find the best possible position on the given issue"?

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I dropped $15 bucks on the Double Fine thing because I am legitimately interested in publisher-less development and would like to see it work.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^I am too, but look at that number on the site. It worked. It worked very well. My fifteen dollars won't really have any effect there.

• You can change. You can.

My arm is screaming at me.

I'm of two minds on Little Kuriboh's Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodline Let's Play. On the one hand, it's really amusing. On the other, it spoils the mood for any player who watches the let's play and decides to try it.

Isn't that true of most LPs of relatively serious games?

LK's Let's Play moreso. He plays it in-character as the Yu-gi-oh abridged versions of Marik and Bakura. So it's basically an Abbott and Costello routine.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

The best LPs are of Amnesia. No-one can keep a lighthearted tone playing that game. 

Huh, now that my new computer's set up, I should LP something... I'd like to play The Witcher 2 again, having contextualised myself properly with the first game (at least in part). That could be a good one. 

I should get a microphone and LP something.

Someone needs to teach me how to do cross-internet LPs so we can do one.

Come to think of it. Alex, Juan, Waltzy, and I could pull off a pretty great VtM LP I think.

Think of the character we'd end up agreeing on. It'd essentially be lesbian vampire Sherlock Holmes; an investigative powerhouse with strong close combat abilities and a penchant for moe. Mein Gott. 

I'm not convinced a four-person LP is something doable, but dat character. Dat character. 

I'm not convinced a four-person LP is something doable

How many people did the Sonic 2006 LP have? It was three or four.

>Think of the character we'd end up agreeing on. It'd essentially be lesbian vampire Sherlock Holmes; an investigative powerhouse with strong close combat abilities and a penchant for moe. Mein Gott. 

So basically, the female Malkavian pre-set.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I've always kind of wanted to do an LP, but I'm not convinced I could make it interesting.

• moe

/me 's ears perk up 

Horrible accent, guys, remember?

> implying that wouldn't contribute to the chaotic charm of the whole thing

I've heard you speak. Your accent's completely intelligible.

I've heard you speak. Your accent's completely intelligible.

Goddamnit, I was hoping nobody had, so I could have crawled my ass out of this one

I mean, ahem, let's face it, pipe dream, etc

• I'm a damn twisted person

Bluh, I really fail at being a social human being. End up moping at a party about existential bullshit and then get pissed off at some girl flirting at me because of how bullshit the entire thing is. Kinda stuck between wanting to sleep for a solid week and maybe spread out 5 combined hours of being awake to get drinks of water and food and feed the cat and go to the bathroom.

In other news there is a used clothing store called Plato's Closet in the city. Not sure how I feel about that name choice or if most of the target demographic will even get the joke.

I know that feel, bro (Take the existentialist part of the party, though)

Ah well, if you're anything like me, you'll never forget for a week and then you'll slowly but surely get over it. And then you'll try it again. And hopefully, it'll be better.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I wish Steam would send an email or something if an item on your wishlist goes on sale.

But then you wouldn't have to check the sales each day.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur
    I really ought to try Vampire: The Masquerade
  • edited 2012-03-12 05:12:00
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur
    Double post
  • Hell yeah! There's a hi-res template for Magic Set Editor cards.

That also means I should reupload a bunch of pictures, but that's still fun.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

"Did you have a question, Mr. Montague?" Longbottom asked mildly.

Geoffrey set down his quill. "We both know what you think of my house, sir!" he sneered. "This assignment is an insult." He folded his arms across his chest and leaned back in his chair defiantly. Teddy was both indignant on Professor Longbottom's behalf, and a little bit impressed by Geoffrey's cheek in spite of himself.

"I see," said Longbottom. "So, you believe I'm prejudiced against your house?"

"Yes, sir!" said Geoffrey belligerently, though Teddy noticed he was not quite able to meet the teacher's gaze.

Longbottom nodded. "Well, you're right."

Now Teddy and Geoffrey both stared at him. Teddy knew that Neville Longbottom had suffered as much as anyone, and more than most, because of Voldemort and his followers, and he wasn't surprised that he might bear a grudge against Slytherins. He couldn't really blame him. But he was surprised that the teacher would actually admit it, and to a Slytherin student. Geoffrey was clearly surprised by this as well.

The Gryffindor Head leaned back against his desk, half-sitting on it, and regarded Geoffrey seriously.

"As you may or may not know," he said softly, "I lost my parents to Voldemort's followers. Slytherins, to be precise." Geoffrey twitched a little when Longbottom mentioned Voldemort's name, but the professor continued as if he hadn't noticed. "I lost a lot of friends as well, to Death Eaters. Slytherins. And even during my school years, the students – and teachers – who tormented me the most and made my life almost unbearable at times, were Slytherins."

Geoffrey was just staring at him now, too shocked to look angry or indignant.

"So," said Longbottom, "it's true. I am prejudiced against Slytherins. I try very hard not to be, but it's difficult. I have known some Slytherins who are decent people – Professor Slughorn and I get on quite well, for example – but mostly not."

He glanced at Teddy, who was just listening, and not writing anything, but Longbottom nodded to him slightly, before turning back to Geoffrey. Teddy wasn't sure if Longbottom knew who his grandmother was, but he supposed it was likely he did.

"As a teacher, I'm supposed to be impartial. It's my job to treat all students equally, and not show favoritism to my own house, or prejudice against others. All of us teachers are supposed to be fair and impartial; some of us are more successful at it than others." Geoffrey snorted, but Longbottom let it pass. "But yes, when I see Slytherins..." His voice lowered. "Sometimes, it is very hard not to see the house that was responsible for Voldemort's rise to power."

"So you admit you're punishing me for what happened before I was even born!" Geoffrey said triumphantly.

"No, Mr. Montague, I'm punishing you for getting into a fight with Mr. Lupin," replied Longbottom evenly. "I'm admitting that those of us who fought the war against Voldemort cannot always separate our personal feelings from our duties as teachers. We are human, you know." He sighed. "I struggle with those feelings. And I try to think about your feelings as well." Montague blinked, and looked confused and wary.

"I look at you," Longbottom said softly, "and I try not to see the child of a Death Eater."

Geoffrey looked down at his desk angrily, blinking rapidly, jaw clenched.

"I try to think about how difficult it must be for you," Longbottom went on quietly. "When everyone is talking about how evil and despicable the Death Eaters were, you know they're talking about your father. And maybe you think the things he did were terrible, and maybe you don't, but either way, he's still your father. But if you try to defend him, people assume you think the same way he did, and if you don't defend him, then what kind of a son are you? That's a horrible position for any child to be put in."

Geoffrey was staring at his desk. Teddy felt uncomfortable watching him, but he couldn't look away. He tried to imagine what that would be like. His own parents were heroes. What if they hadn't been heroes, if they had fought on the other side? Would he still be a Gryffindor? Would he hate Gryffindors? Would he hate himself for who his parents were, or would he want to believe that they had been right, and resent everyone who spoke about them with contempt and hatred?

"If you perceive that I have ever been disrespectful or unfair to you because you're a Slytherin, Mr. Montague, then I apologize," Longbottom said. "But you still have to write that essay, because you behaved abominably in my class. Both of you," he added, looking at Teddy. "I want you to tell me the things you are proud of. Right now, I don't see that either Gryffindor or Slytherin have much reason to be proud." He gave Teddy a look that made him wither a little in his seat. "So convince me otherwise."

Geoffrey frowned, still not looking up, and then, very slowly, he reached for his quill. He hesitated, then dipped it in ink and began writing, and after a moment, so did Teddy.

This fanfic is kind of enjoyable.

• edited 2012-03-12 12:48:24
    Loser

DonZabu,
    In one of my classes, we each had to research an issue and then write a paper arguing against whatever our position on the issue was, in order to teach us about argumentation.

I'm probably incorrect here, but I'm not sure I agree with how that works; it strikes me as enforcing a certain creed of "we have to respect everyone's opinions, even if those opinions are wrong", and listening to everyone present their papers, I heard a lot of seriously weak arguments as a result.

And it'd probably run into more than a few problems, but what if the assignment were "find the best possible position on the given issue"?

That does sound like a weird assignment. I can understand wanting to have people see both sides of an argument, but I feel like it might make a bit more sense to have an assignment like the one you suggested and then require people to list actual objections to their arguments and then responses to those objections. That way they can argue the side they actually believe and be aware of other points of view.

Yeah, I agree with you that not every issue is really two-sided though. For example, I definitely would not want to have kids writing papers about supporting racial segregation just because that happens to be the opposite of their position.