If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Music/AnimalCollective?from=Main.AnimalCollective

Anti-Love Song: Inverted throughout Feels.

The inversion of an anti-love song is a love song, morons.

• edited 2012-02-13 20:54:02
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

^^ Why would you even post that. It's unrelated to everything and I don't think anybody even cares.

• edited 2012-02-13 20:57:12
    Has friends besides tanks now

^ Hey, no need to be so harsh. It's not like there's a central topic, and I know that I jump in with unrelated topics all the time, if the current one doesn't interest me. Besides, I don't really see what's wrong with him posting it anyway. I sorta care, in that I sorta know that feel. But it's probably better for the General Writing Discussion thread, I'll grant.

• edited 2012-02-13 20:56:12

^^ There was a discussion to be related to?

-checks-

Huh. So there is.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Heroes don’t always disappoint. But they are always human. There are lots of heroes I’m so glad I’ve met. Some I’ve become friends with.There are a handful I’ve wished I hadn’t met, because in person they turned out to be less than the version of them I had in my head. And there are some who are exactly the same. And there are some who are better.

-Neil Gaiman

• edited 2012-02-13 21:00:11

Eh. No one ought to be stopping you from jumping in with whatever. People do it all the time, actually.

^ See, here we have an out-of-context quote, and I'm fine with that.

Well, as it's a quote Gaiman actually said I can't exactly put it in the quote thread. =P

• Has friends besides tanks now

You could have attributed it to Alan Moore or something.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Hey, no need to be so harsh. It's not like there's a central topic, and I know that I jump in with unrelated topics all the time, if the current one doesn't interest me. Besides, I don't really see what's wrong with him posting it anyway. I sorta care, in that I sorta know that feel. But it's probably better for the General Writing Discussion thread, I'll grant.

I didn't even make a value judgement on it. If that's harsh, I will... Well, I don't know because I've already been forced to eat my hat again, but if you consider that harsh, I don't even know.

But we have several threads that are more suited to posting song lyrics like this, including a general writing thread and a thread about song lyrics (unless I'm getting my forums confused again).

People jump in with unrelated things all the time, but nothing so completely... different, I guess.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

-checks-

Yep, the lyrics thread is on two other forums I frequent. I messed up on that front, sorry.

• edited 2012-02-13 21:09:20

I'm not sure if it would work for a song lyrics thread anyway, since it's presumably not part of an actual song yet. And yes, "Why would you even post that" is just a tad harsh.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

• The Beach Boys evolved pretty gradually away from surf-rock, but fully went baroque pop with what's considered their masterpiece, Pet Sounds (which sadly didn't have "Good Vibrations" on it). They went back to simplicity later due to intra-band conflict and drug abuse.

This is so condescendingly simplistic that I don't know what the fuck

That it's still all awesome and easily peggable as them, is the remarkable thing. From something like Muscle Museum and on through Supermassive Black Hole, Knights of Cydonia (less its more Led Zep bits), even. Though let's quietly gloss over That One What Sounds Like The Doctor Who Theme...

Yeah that huge massive hit song everybody loves sure does suck, yep

And yet, people post even less than that in them all the time but receive (relatively) useful feedback. It would have fitted perfectly into them, except for the fact they're not here when I thought they were here. Going on different forums gets really confusing.

I will have to watch what I say, I guess. I don't consider that to be harsh at all.

• edited 2012-02-13 21:14:38
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

This is so condescendingly simplistic that I don't know what the fuck

Is that simplistic? What's the full story?

dammit selecting the wrong paragraph

I do not understand these genres of music, therefore it is literally impossible to figure out

Baldur came in! =D He'd been gone for a few days so I had begun to worry. He is a somewhat old cat...

Is that simplistic? What's the full story?

Long story short, Pet Sounds was a critical success but a commercial failure. Seeing as how it was mainly the brainchild of Brian Wilson, Mike Love and the other Beach Boys wanted to move back and do more simpler instrumentation (not necessarily lyrics at this point, mind you), but Brian Wilson interacted with Van Dyke Parks and others and got more involved with drugs, so he began to work on SMiLE. It fell apart when the band stopped supporting him, tried to get him removed from Parks and others who were supplying him the drugs, and the combination of his relentless perfectionism requiring that every single little thing be done over and over to get it just right and, again, the drugs made him go almost insane, shelving SMiLE and allowing him to be more controlled by the other members of the band. Much of their later releases, such as Smiley Smile and Surf's Up, were still somewhat psychadelic, but never as ornate or baroque as their earlier work. And as time went on and Brian continued to lose his sanity (due to a variety of factors), he eventually devolved into becoming a much tinier part of the creative force behind the Beach Boys. 

That might not be entirely accurate but it's from my understanding.

• Subversion: Chinese band Silver Ash had one single New Sound song in 2007. It was pop- a long way from their previous goth/glam rock style, and in the PV they were dressed casually- unsual, as they had up until then considered themselves China's first Visual Kei band. It seems the change was brought about, not because the band fancied a change, but because they had finally been forced to comply with the Chinese government, who had been making life very tough for them for years. However, after the release of this song, the band disappeared into the wilderness, and very little news has been heard of them since. There is a lot of speculation, but nobody really knows whether they are going to continue with their new pop sound or are planning to return to rock and VK as best they can- under the assumption that they are returning at all, of course.

Literally more than twice as many words describing a single song by a relatively obscure Chinese glam/goth band than one of the most crucial stories of one of the most influential bands of all time 

The third Gorillaz album 'Plastic Beach' has a larger pop element to it than the previous albums,and also features more collaboration with other artists, ranging from Mos Def to Mick Jones. This album was originally said to be their last, but things seem to be going differently.

There was this other thing it had you may have missed, it's called an "orchestra"

Are we wikigroaning? Because I totally love that. (hint: I actually don't)

Beck, on every single album.

• From Guero onward, he's no longer been radically changing his sound on each release: but maybe it only seems that way, because (by now) he's already explored every possible genre.

EVERY POSSIBLE GENRE (I like Beck)

That kind of sucks.

• edited 2012-02-13 21:30:36
    I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Pink Floyd. Listening to Piper at the Gates of Dawn, then Dark Side Of The Moon, then The Wall, then The Final Cut, it's like four different bands (Justified for Piper, as their lead singer/songwriter became a Cloud Cuckoolander shortly after it was finished.)

Let me use the phrase "Cloud Cuckoolander" to describe Syd Barrett, who is not named here, and to describe his descent into insanity and drug addiction so tragic that Pink Floyd wrote an entire album (their best and most emotional one) dedicated to him

• What page is this?

Baldur is on my lap and won't let me go get more beer.

Halp.

• Speculative: Paul Simon, with Graceland. Being too young at the time to know anything much about what was going on, I do wonder what longterm Simon & Garfunkel fans made of Paul's seminal solo album. Wildly popular, but notable in history because of how much of a stylistic shift it was. Though it is one of my own favourites, not everyone who liked his earlier work and collaboration must have dug the African rhythms and acapella.

There is a reason it is called Graceland and there is a reason it sounds like that, hint: it has to do with where it was recorded!! At Graceland!!

Order him to go get the beer if he wants to remain on your lap.

• Has friends besides tanks now

I dunno, just pick him up or something?