If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2012-01-08 11:20:53
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    And he's moving on to nunchaku, now.

One of my instructors used to do nanchaku.

One of his fellow students knocked himself out three times in a single class.

Seriously, your friend is playing with fire here. I would hate to come across as too elitist or harsh here, but weapons are really not toys, even blunt swords. As far as weapons go, blunt swords are some of the safest to train with, but when you get to weapons dealing exclusively with dealing kinetic damage, there's no such thing as a "training" variant. If it's built to the correct specifications, it can only ever be the real thing.

If your friend wants to be some kind of ridiculous anachronistic badass, I can't blame him at all because I train for the same purpose, but he should get some legitimate instruction and a better attitude. This isn't snark or anything anymore -- this is now a safety concern. All properly constructed weapons must be treated with respect, and treated as what they are.

I cannot emphasise this enough. Anyone who has too whimsical an approach to weapons must not be allowed to own or wield them, for their own good if nothing else.

I have a similar attitude issue with one of my own friends. He wants to do kendo (but is looking into doing what I do as well), and his attitudes towards weapons and combat leave much to be desired. He hasn't done anything dangerous, nor would that ever be his intent, but I would not put a weapon in his hands unless the situation was desperate, I needed backup and there was no-one else. The first thing to understand in any weapon art is respect for the weapon and its capabilities. I've heard some horror stories about people buying real close combat weapons and thinking they're cool while solo training and damaging themselves pretty badly, although I've been lucky enough not to know anyone directly who's done that kind of thing. All the same, I can't stand this kind of thing.
  • edited 2012-01-08 11:20:08
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    So, I'm probably committing metal heresy or something by saying this, but after listening to Imaginaerum a bunch of times, I think I like Anette better as Nightwish's lead vocalist than Tarja.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    > metal heresy
    > listening to symphonic metal

you're way ahead of yourself man

Okay, that's enough deathfaggotry from me.
  • edited 2012-01-08 11:24:38
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    fuck you nightwish is awesome

;_;
  • edited 2012-01-08 11:29:21
    Has friends besides tanks now
    You're only committing metal heresy if you prefer the new vocalist. At least, that's generally how it goes.

I don't like Nightwish, though, so I don't know if Annete is the new or old vocalist.

@Alex: For what it's worth, he usually just does the same trick with them, so he hasn't banged himself up too badly. And he started off with foam nunchaku.

He doesn't believe in sparring, though. When presented an opportunity to boff at PortCon, he adamantly refused. So I guess I agree on the attitude thing.

Wait, fuck. I just remembered that he wants to be a contestant on Ninja Warrior. Okay, so I can't really vouch for his non-earnesty of opinion anymore. He's a pretty fun guy, overall, as long as you're not RPing with him.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Sparring is the only way you get really good, I'm afraid. It can be humbling to go into the ring and find that what your were comfortable with practising solo is now twice as difficult to do, but it's a necessary stage in learning.

Your friend should do some research and some martially sound training, otherwise he's wasting his time. :/
  • edited 2012-01-08 11:33:13
    You're only committing metal heresy if you prefer the new vocalist. At least, that's generally how it goes.

She is the new one.
    I don't like Nightwish, though, so I don't know if Annete is the new or old vocalist.

bro status: revoked
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    ^^ I've tried telling him that. It didn't work. :/

^ By the way, bro, you should totally go to Anime Boston.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^ I probably will. I almost went last year, but it ended up being on the same weekend as the cast party for my last play in high school, so I didn't go.
    Unfortunately, this means I have only three months to get my Tyki Mikk cosplay together (I'm not worried about my Takizawa cosplay, since a quick trip to Army Barracks will provide me with what I need for that). And to catch up on D.Gray-Man.

I didn't go last year because I didn't really have anyone to go with. But in the worst case, now I can drive myself down, if I have to. I'd probably get really lost, though, so I'd like to either have my parents come and hope they do other stuff, or carpool/room with my stepbro.

Wait. Dangit, he's already in Boston; he has grad school there and everything.

Maybe I can drive down with my friends. I'm not sure if I can drive non-adults without licenses around yet, though; I'm 18, which nullifies the curfew the DMV imposes on new drivers, but I don't know if it nullifies that former restriction.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I'm pretty sure turning 18 nullifies the restrictions on passengers. At least, that's the assumption that my family has been operating under.
    Works for me.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    Completely (ir)relevant.

• Champion of the Whales
    Okay, having a wee drink was a bad idea.
    It's adorable when books older than a couple years describe state-of-the-art computers.
  • No rainbow star
    :< Everest, your friend scares me

...And now I really want to get a training sword just so I can get used to the weight of a sword
  • Champion of the Whales
    You people and your fancy weapons :P

Back in my day, we made do with our fists and bits of piping.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    In my day, we beat people to death with our bear Hans!
  • No rainbow star
    What ever happened to the good old days where Ug hit Oog on the head with a large rock to take Agh, his beautiful wife?
    NEW BANNER, GUYS!
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    First notice!  That was fast.
    Come up with a better one.
    I don't dislike it, but I feel like the pink/purple kind of clashes weirdly with the gray banner.

I'll probably get used to it pretty quickly, though.
    I have it open in GIMP right now; got ideas to suggest?
    All I've really got is to make it less pink.
  • You can change. You can.
    It's too bright, definetly.
  • edited 2012-01-08 14:41:59
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Could we change the site backgroud color so it's not that hideous gray? I think that would be a better first step than changing the banner. Heck, even the current banner would look better with a different background.

I, personally, would prefer black, since that goes with everything, but really, most colors would be an improvement, in the right shade.
    Yeah, it definitely is a lot more noticeable.

I can make it worse. :P
    In other news: obnoxious friend, y u no talk about anything but schoolwork? It's fucking annoying! >:/