If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I just ran across a font called "Hobo STD."

I know that's not how you're supposed to read it, but...
  • edited 2011-11-25 22:06:01
    smote

^^ I laughed, but it's not that much of a parody--the actual series is so much worse. Take a look at this liveblog to see.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Dear God, the Third Act of 1984 is legitimately the most frightening thing I've ever read in fiction, and the concept of doublethink scares me about as much as the concepts of hatred and sadism.

And I'm only halfway through it.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Yeah, it was pretty freaky.

Imagine a boot stomping on a human face... forever.

I should buy a copy of that for my Kindle and reread it sometime.
  • Yeah, the point of 1984 was to make the people of 1948 think about their society. As overused as Orwellian comparisons are, it still manages to be really relevant.

On a related note, I really do dislike the Cold War mentality of "with us or against us." Both sides have done horrible things, yet idiots try to justify it in the name of fighting communism or capitalism. Mea maxima culpa.

• I'm doing that for a school speech, along with V for Vendetta.

Question: what do you guys think of the rejection of the artificial sense of belonging the Party attempts to create in favour of Winston's feeling of belonging with Julia as an example of the core idea of a thesis (focusing on rejection of certain, artificial types of belonging in favour of other, more genuine types)?
  • edited 2011-11-25 22:29:40

Well, the inverse describes cult mentality, which attempts to foster an artificial sense of belonging so that they will stay inside the cult and reject outsiders. A common cult practice is to claim that the rest of the world is evil and hateful (hence the Two Minutes Hate). Why invite their calumny and consternation? Stay in here!

And of course, Winston's feeling of belonging with Julia is based on love, the opposite of the Party's hate.

• edited 2011-11-25 22:32:46
    Has friends besides tanks now
    "Yeah, it was pretty freaky"

Out of morbid curiosity, have you read anything you thought was worse? As far as fiction goes, I mean.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Hmmm...

I'm not sure that I have.  If I sat and thought about it for a while, I could probably come up with something, but it's definitely one of the more disturbing things I've read.
  • edited 2011-11-25 23:02:00
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Hm.

I mean, I've read A Clockwork Orange and American Psycho, and people constantly say that those are disturbing books, but they really have nothing on 1984. Nor does anything else I can think of. Closest I can come is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
  • ^^^^ That's pretty great (I might end up adding in the Two-Minutes hate and unity via hatred of a common foe, if I find reasonable examples). I'm not sure how to relate it to V for Vendetta though. I was thinking of mentioning how Chancellor Sutler tries to foster a sense of communal belonging through his whole "Strength through Unity" business and Eve rejects it because of the connection she forms with V, but I don't have much else. I've a lot more on 1984.
  • edited 2011-11-26 00:23:12
    It's worthwhile for me to mention that the movie version of V for Vendetta differs from the comic in several key ways. Adam J Susan is portrayed more as a insecure bloke with a fetish for his computer and has more of a "I did what I had to" motivation for fascism. Incidentally, V is portrayed less sympathetically and may seem simply psychotic rather than the noble freedom fighter of the movie. The best example is that comic V feels no remorse for putting Evey through psychological torture.
  • Fortunately I don't have to really mention the comic. V for Vendetta comes highly recommended by the Board of Studies for this task.
  • I just ran across a font called "Hobo STD."

I know that's not how you're supposed to read it, but...
    The weirdest part? I could picture the typeface you're talking about almost immediately.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Weird? Maybe.

Surprising? No.
  • You can change. You can.
    The weirdest part? I could picture the typeface you're talking about almost immediately.

That''s the weirdest part? Not the fact there's a font called Hobo STD?

dude...

Fortunately I don't have to really mention the comic. V for Vendetta comes highly recommended by the Board of Studies for this task.

You could still make the point that terrorism doesn't always solve things.
  • edited 2011-11-26 01:57:21
    We're talking about belonging though. Can't really make that point. Well, I could, but top English class means my teacher would probably go Mortal Kombat on me.
    If you can't beat the shit out of an English teacher, then you shouldn't be able to graduate.

And ah, makes sense. Belonging in what way, exacty? Cuz the rest of your posts gave me a headache. >_>
  • It's a she. I can't hit a girl, even if I wasn't a pacifist.

Senses of belonging. Security, connections and such.
  • Late point on 1984 - it's worth stressing how much of that book is based on existing elements in English society in 1948. It's quite comparable to V for Vendetta in that they're both saying "What if modern Britain became a totalitarian state?" and using this to satirise the Britain of the time.

For example, in 1984, the Ministry of Truth is supposed to have been partly based on Orwell's stint at the BBC and the comment: "I give them their two minutes' hate" was allegedly the explanation of Alfred Harmsworth, who founded the Daily Mail, for the success of his paper.

• I think the Internet has tainted my perception of arts students. Every time I see them go off about how the uneducated masses are idiots for not understanding the inherent deeper meaning of media or rant about the degradation of humanity just based on some series, I hope to myself that not all arts students are like this.

Of course, I'm an engineering student, so part of it is that I don't speak their language.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    Does anyone know of any freeware Word-like program? Not notepad
  • edited 2011-11-26 10:43:54
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Thanks!
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    @Abyss_Worm

I get this when it comes to other martial artists, actually. Every time someone introduces me to a martial art I've never heard of, they're always all like "Look, man, we fight dirty in this martial art, not like all the others out there."

Every. Single. Fucking. Time. Every asshole who knows half a thing about throwing a punch seems to think they're the only one who uses underhanded tactics and techniques to win. In addition, most martial artists I meet ignore entirely the academic aspect, practising and sparring but not "studying" as such, which I consider a necessity for greater mastery.
  • Alex - Unfortunately, I imagine martial arts is likely to attract wannabe macho men who want to prove they're the most badass and so is their sport. Fan Myopia's probably in effect,too.
    That's probably the case, Cap'n. Especially given that this is in fullest effect with the likes of Krav Maga, which soldier-types will not stop harping on about. Don't get me wrong, Krav Maga is one of the greatest fighting systems out there, easily, but hearing the same kind of person wax on about it all the time makes me associate it with distasteful types.

It doesn't help, I suppose, that a martial advisor of mine is ex-Australian SAS. He's given me some great perspectives and advice, but damn, am I sick of hearing about Krav Maga.
  • Well, that's probably because the Israeli Army developed it and they won four wars against superior forces, so it must be good, amirite?

Which rather ignores the fact that they won those wars with tanks, jet fighters and artillery, like any other army. I mean, they didn't go out and punch the Egyptian Army to death. 

Pity.
    I finally achieved my drem.

I'm a professional published asshole.