If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    And it's snowing here...

and I have to drive to pick my sister up from boarding school. -_-
  • edited 2011-11-11 13:31:04
    Likes cheesecake unironically.
    The only thing I know about Skyrim so far is that it has an awful UI. At least, that was the only thing people talked about in the Skyrim thread on TV Tropes after it's release. Makes me want to get and see it for myself. Seriously, curiosity about the bad interface is my top reason to buy it at the moment.

Still, it will take a while until I get it. There are upcoming games that interest me more and I can't buy many games this month anymore.

Reading more, the reason why the UI is bad is apparently that it was made for consoles and wasn't changed for PC. Since I'd get the PS3 version, it probably wouldn't be bad for me.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Is Kisume a thief?
    Fantasy RPGs get laughed out of the room if they're not akin to a college course.
  • "Fantasy RPGs get laughed out of the room if they're not akin to a college course."

I don't get it.

Fantasy RPGs are infamous for being needlessly complex and obtuse.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I like the UI, myself.
    I've probably said about a billion times, but it weirds me out that I could never get into Bethesda game. They've all got this Uncanny Valley thing going on.
  • edited 2011-11-11 13:57:38
    Kichigai birthday!!
    That feel when I'll probably have to reformat my computer and reinstall Windows to make my tablet work
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^Skyrim kills that dead.
  • The problem with Bethesda games is that they all suck and I am certain Skyrim won't be an exception.

That said, there's also the possibility it'll become fun after people make mods for it, I guess, but there's no way my computer would run it so that doesn't matter much.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I wish Skyrim had a better combat system, but if it follows the same patterns as Oblivion, I doubt that there's any room in the gameplay for one. In these types of games, playing a close combat character often gets quite samey because of the lack of variety. It would be interesting if a certain amount of skill in close combat unlocked further options, though.
    How's being a sneaky character?
  • Is Kisume a thief?

Nope.
    I can't say for sure, not having played it, but being sneaky in Bethesda games is... undeveloped, I guess. Don't expect a stealth system to match Deus Ex or MGS.
    But I wanna outwit the idiots with pig stickers without them even knowing I'm there....
    At a guess, I'd say the coding for the stealth is relatively simple and takes few variables into account, or at least doesn't relate them particularly well.

I suspect stealth systems are built on the concept of an alertness variable. Particular adversaries have particular thresholds; when the player reaches this threshold, they have been discovered. Sight and sound would be the contributing factors, but more complex games take corpses and dropped items into account, too.

It sounds simple there, but there's a lot to take into account. For instance, at what proximity does the threshold begin to rise, and at what rate? Do particular contributions to the threshold exclude others? If there are multiple contributors to the threshold, does each one contribute at a slower pace for balance, do they rise in a linear fashion or do they rise faster to punish the player and force more careful play? Is there a threshold for partial awareness? What about terrain, or partial vision?

A good stealth system is complex and requires a lot of playtesting, and I doubt TES or Fallout games have the focus or ever pull an exceptional one off. Which is always the issue, I guess; they spread themselves thin by covering so much ground. So that criticism applies equally to combat and magic.
    Yeah a lot of the features seem to needless and showy. I mean, decorating a house? Really?
    You could do that in Oblivion, technically, but by hand. Which was sort of entertaining, and it was fun to prop up all the cool weapons and stuff I didn't use. That said, yeah, I don't see the need for a mechanic dedicated to it.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I wish I had Skyrim.

Grumble grumble.

-Goes back to playing Fallout New Vegas-
  • You can change. You can.
    I wish I had Fallout New Vegas

grumble grumble

--goes back to playing Planescape Torment--
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    Meh, I just need a spiffy new computer so I can mod the hell out of Morrowind. I should be good then.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ Oh yeah, that's another thing I need to play.

grumble grumble
  • No rainbow star
    ^ I haven't played any of those three games :D
    how is that even a good thing i'll never know
    And I've been meaning to play Fallout 1 and 2.
    And finish Arkham City.
    And finish Assassin's Creed 2.
    And finish Red Dead Redemption.
    And finish Final Fantasy XIII.

argh
    I tried fallout 2.

couldn't tolerate that first dungeon.

made me raeg
    From what I've heard, the first dungeon is kind of terrible and badly balanced, but the rest of the game is really good.

-shrug-
    Yup. I learned after I deleted the game.

moar raeg ensued
    Just drove my sister through the snow.

Not in a good mood.