If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know
    The first Japanese textbook I ever owned suggested I lock myself in a room and practice for a month straight (I mean, you don't tell people that's what you did if you don't want them to repeat it). Needless to say, I'm probably even more behind than you are with your flashcards.

Sometimes I wish there was a Japanese textbook that was just in the roman alphabet so I could learn the language, but I tried Duolingo-ing French and I only did that for three weeks or so.

So I started writing a light novel as a joke and now I've actually finished the "first volume" (because yes, everybody on the internet is an author). It's pretty okay, though you'll have to take my word for it since I haven't posted it anywhere.

I've run into a lot of issues trying to continue writing it. At first I was going to write a trilogy, but then I went from my SF idea to a time-cult conspiracy type thing that was just a nightmare. Now I'm looking at just doing a second part to tie stuff up properly, but that means a thousand ideas have to be condensed into something simpler and solid.

I decided this after trying to write a whole new start to the second book of a trilogy and realizing that nothing I did was even close to working because it made no sense. Hopefully this time it works out.
  • Sometimes I wish there was a Japanese textbook that was just in the roman alphabet so I could learn the language, but I tried Duolingo-ing French and I only did that for three weeks or so.

Well, you can learn the kana in a couple days. Kanji, on the other hand...

But that'd set one up for reading textbooks, so it's possible to go on from there as long as one doesn't mind mind being illiterate at anything else.

Anyhows, it turns out I'm not so behind on flashcards, I had catched up earlier this year and I don't remember adding new cards in years, so in a couple days I should be done with the backlog.
    you can learn the kana in a couple days

I'm pretty good with kana, and figuring out the names of Aikatsu Stars! Coords and songs every few weeks along with the usual matome site trawling is surprisingly good practice.

I just feel like kanji is impossible to learn, and I really admire all those Japanese children who figure it out. I mean, aside from memorizing seiyuu's names of course.
  • At least recognizing them is not as hard as it seems at first, after a while you start identifying them by their components and then they become distinguishable and memorable, not unlike words.

The actual hard part is the readings, goddamnit they're too many and too arbitrary.
    I think my favorite reading ever was however the Prizmmy☆ single I Just Wanna Be With You got it's subtitle.
    ~仮想と真実の狭間で~

vs
    ~ヴァーチャルとリアルの狭間で~

I'm not sure Kasou or Shinjitsu actually read this way ever but what do I know. Kasou directly translates to virtual, at least.
  • Today I broke things.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    What kind of things
  • I cracked a shower's sliding door, and bent (with clear dents) a towel holder's tube.
  • "In a mad world, only the mad are sane!"-Akira Kurosawa, Ran
    Why do they give me free drinks coupons if I have to pre-record radio interviews.
    Why do the radio interviews have better flow when I'm plastered.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/sep/01/russia-death-five-geckos-space-sex-mission

Dragons are amazing but not invulnerable. In particular, outer space is not known to be a hospitable environment for most dragons.

Limited data compiled Belphegor researchers suggests that some of the following traits may be correlated with survival in space:
    * high degree of intelligence
    * having a large number of underlings with access to advanced technology
    * being purple
    * screaming like a girl
  • On the plus side about today the day that just ended, the tablet arrived, and managed to install mostly everything just fine.
  • edited 2017-12-18 17:01:26
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I don't know if I've gone reverse-full hipster or something but lately the clothes I'm into are so basic* that I'm sure it can't just be a normal desire to return to simplicity.

In similar things I blame the current resurgence in plaid flannel (in the traditional off-primary red and vaguely 'different' primary blue) on Zendaya's character in K.C.Undercover. That totally makes sense.

*There 's:
    Maroon Henleys (this, if anybody remembers, is probably Nautica's fault, though I don't understand where the marron bit comes from)
    These stupid, stupid* 3/4 DC shirts
    The Land's End pullover brought to us straight from 1990 I am obsessed with.
    These ridiculous slim fits that aren't really slim fits but are so danged beige and boxy.

*I don't know why I'm tsundere about a shirt okay?
    how (un)ethical is the following decision:

[background information] a large organization that you are not affiliated with does a number of activities. some of their activities are ones you agree with because you feel they actively help society. some of their activities are ones you disagree with because you feel they actively harm society.

there is also a small group that you are not affiliated with, and they do two things: (1) oppose the large organization on the things that the large organization does that you feel harms society, and (2) advocate some unusual viewpoints that you don't agree with.

[decision] you do the following:
    1. speak out praising the larger group's activities that help society.
    2. speak out disagreeing with the larger group's activities that harm society.
    3. state that you do not oppose them but do not support them.
    4. state that you do not oppose the small group but do not support them either.
    5. stand by when the smaller group gives the larger group trouble, while being okay with this.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    Christmas avatars for everyone
    how (un)ethical is the following decision:

You didn't make one?

Erm... probably a mix of 1 and distancing yourself as far away from the small group as possible because like speaking out against somebody else whilst doing questionable things is a combination of traits I wouldn't want to be associated with.
    Free app alert: Wolfram Alpha

Was this just yesterday because I see a price (albeit a negligible one).

Also I still am not sure what that app does.
  • @moral dilemma: Depending on the difference between how good/bad the good/bad things they do/support is, I may end up feeling that my support is not worth acknowledging them having a point.

^ I see that it's no longer free.

It's a versatile math engine (and other stuff engine, but nobody cares about these), basically this but with the premium features available (step by step solutions, graphing options, etc.).

It'd have been useful to have a couple years ago.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    So, eh, guys, by virtue of being a few time zones before you, have a merry festivity.
    Well, it's Christmas Eve right now.
    And now it's Christmas! Merry Christmas!

...Eve is still celebrating Christmas, of course.
    Christmas in the northern hemisphere: It's snowing! It's a Christmas miracle!

Christmas in the southern hemisphere: It's going to rain for four days straight, isn't it?
    the difference of one letter:

hohoho = santa claus
    ohoho = this character from Heavy Object

(she really is named "ohoho", as her real name hasn't been revealed so everyone just calls her that)
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    ^^ I can relate with the southern hemisphere, here for the last couple of years "white Christmas" is something you can only see when the TV airs "Home Alone".
  • Stuff happened at the last minute that I'm greatly displeased with, but I guess it's over and I can now experience Christmas with other people (in real life and on the internet).

@hemispheres: northern hemisphere here but ehh, close enough. Normally there are downpours but this year it's been very sunny.

Anyhows, Merry Christmas!

DxicEWU.png
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    festive tree
    Merry Christmas, and may peace be with you all.
    Happy Colonial Holdover Day Boxing Day.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    root beer is good
  • edited 2017-12-29 02:54:56
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    #florida #weird

Did you know that Florida has an airport with the call sign "TNT"?

Better yet, building it really was a bad idea in the first place:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dade-Collier_Training_and_Transition_Airport
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_Impact_of_the_Big_Cypress_Swamp_Jetport
  • edited 2017-12-29 04:53:50
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    So yesterday I got called in to see "a relative" in the hospital, which turned out to actually be a co-worker who had taken a bad fall (down a set of stairs, no less). He was mostly okay, somehow, just out of it on medication. Doctor took me aside, (subtly-ish) told me he was on something before he got there, and told me to take it up with him after he was discharged.

I didn't, obviously, but he was rambling on and on because... I guess what else do you do (but like, again, out of it). I dropped him off at his house, didn't say much then either since it was already super awkward.

I called him this morning to see if he was okay (he was...ish), but I'm pretty sure I did a terrible job of it all.