If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    "At what age have you become an anime fan?"

This simple and seemingly insignificant grammatical difference, between "have you" and "did you", surprisingly makes a big difference in meaning.

Both phrasings, along with simple past tense, are common translations for perfect tense from other languages.

But "At what age did you become an anime fan?" feels like a factual question.
    "At what age have you become an anime fan?" feels like a more poetic question of essence, with a sense of inevitability. You "did become" Santa Claus from taking a job as a mall Santa, but you "have become" Santa Claus from growing old and gaining a beard, a portly belly, and being looked up to by children.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    feels like a more poetic question of essence

Are you sure it's grammatically correct?
  • edited 2018-01-12 05:33:32
    Apparently:

I hate how SNL is like sliiiiightly actually funny but not really.

"What have you become" and "At what age have you become" are different. I think "At what have you become good at" is awkward but probably grammatically correct. The age part is iffy I think.
  • But I thought it was funny.

I've always been curious about the grammar behind the edgy "I am become death" quote.
    But I thought it was funny.

Y'know, humour and subjectivity.
  • But I thought it was funny.

I've always been curious about the grammar behind the edgy "I am become death" quote.

Is there anything to it besides Oppenheimer being a physics guy rather than a grammar guy?
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Didn't we have a generic Film Thread?

'Cause it struck me I don't remember the recent Star Wars film being discussed. Not that I require that from you, of course, but it came to me out of the sudden that I'd enjoy your opinion.
  • ^^ From what I've gathered so far, the "I am become death" is simply because he opted for an archaic translation.

^ According to my YouTube feed, I should absolutely hate it forever, so it's less than literally perfect I guess. Also I haven't seen Rogue One yet.

Anyhows, my mother has taken a liking for that tablet, she enjoys practicing German using Duolingo on it, so it was definitely worth it. Also lifehack: cassette cases work as phone holders.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I give it about 6/10. Sure, it's not the same as (figuratively speaking) going to see A New Hope at twelve, but I remember watching it quite fondly, which puts it a lot higher in my book than Force Awakens. That one was painful. Then I was like "I really wanted to enjoy this!", and now I'm like "wow, I actually did enjoy this one!". So, that's my opinion in short.
  • ^^ From what I've gathered so far, the "I am become death" is simply because he opted for an archaic translation.

He apparently read the Bhagavad Gita in Sanskrit according to Wikipedia, so maybe it's more like an improvised take rather than sourced from a "full" translation.

• Bovarian Mammarian
    update: I am still the prettiest cowgirl in thew hoesel worl
    i thought it was heosle worl
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    it might be
  • edited 2018-01-22 01:38:49
    I think it was heosle worl, too.

I've delayed taking this exam for ages, in part 'cuz I lacked a notebook to do them in but mostly because, well, it's hard and I was nervous. It's hard. Also there's only one available exam of the relevant version of that course, so if I fail I have no idea how to retake it. Anyhows, today I was courageous enough to take it, but as it turns out it had way too many topics that I thought weren't part of the exam, so I, umm, paused it and will resume later. In my defense if this were real-life I could just ask what to study for the exam.

I guess that means I have much to study now.

Also I found out about libgen.io, a hugeass repository of books with stuff I could never find anywhere else.

Also Pinterest HITs have become much less common, which is how I had been working for the last several months. I'm going to have to figure out something to do if they don't come back.
    it had way too many topics that I thought weren't part of the exam

When I was in high school I think this was possibly my biggest fear so I'd even study the stuff the teachers told us was irrelevant.
    Yesterday I learned there is such a Catholic saint as St. Conan. Might come in handy, you know, if I ever wanted to name my kid after Conan the Barbarian and see it happen, or something.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    or Conan O'Brien
    Conan O'Barbarian

also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan
  • edited 2018-01-22 19:28:39
    When I was in high school I think this was possibly my biggest fear so I'd even study the stuff the teachers told us was irrelevant.

It was the other way around for me, I didn't think too much what to study in high school and I don't remember it coming up, but in university I couldn't afford to spend MP studying things that wouldn't be on the exam, and of course missing on studying something that could end up there was a deadly mistake.

Also, I'm somewhat bummed that there are some things I won't be able to do on the program I was making, not without doing some hackish things or maybe not even then and I'll have to rewrite the whole thing in C++ (something about DirectX), which from what I've heard is scary. It bugs me that computer science is elegant and clean, but actual programming in real-life computers is imperfect, unsightly, dirty.
    "I've applied for a job"
    "Really? How did it go?"
    "Oh fucking come on"
    "That bad?"
    "Yeah, I'll have to go to work now"
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    the only thing worse than being unemployed is being employed
  • "In a mad world, only the mad are sane!"-Akira Kurosawa, Ran
    On a whim I'm now doing Instapoetry, let's see if I can squeeze out at least one schmaltzy thing a day.
    On a whim I'm now doing Instapoetry, let's see if I can squeeze out at least one schmaltzy thing a day.

What's Instapoetry?
  • edited 2018-01-26 04:12:48
    My cat got attacked, apparently by the neighbor's dog last night. She can't walk right now, though she seems to be getting better.
    That's unfortunate, hope she recovers soon.
    Instapoetry

I hope it's either poetry about instagram or poetry on instagram where every #other word #is a #hashtag.
  • "In a mad world, only the mad are sane!"-Akira Kurosawa, Ran
    she was music
    but he had his ears cut off
    I wholeheartedly support this endeavour.
  • why is one of them on a transformers website