If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Hello IJBM! Hopefully we can keep things going again. Let's see... what was I supposed to post...

The other day I learned about the Cox-Zucker machine.

I also learned about Mel Blanc's tombstone (the guy who voiced much of the Looney Toons.

I feel my life has been improving over the past few months, I'm working full-time now, started working on my thesis again and seem to have regained interest in much of the stuff I left behind. I hope things keep getting better.

Anyhows, let's make a checklist of active users and see who AFAIK might not be aware of the new domain:

• BassFishing
    • Bee (presumably he's seen the HH thread)
    • Earthlight_Ray
    • fourteenwings
    • kilgoretrout
    • lrdgck
    • Naas_H_Sapiens
    • vandro
    • glennmagusharvey
    • Serocco
    • Stormtroper
    • UnknownEntity

Did I miss any? I'll start e-stalking them to tell them about the new domain if they don't show up soon.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I e-mailed/tweeted/Steam-messaged some of them.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    What the fug.
  • Alright, we're still missing vandro, KilgoreTrout and Serocco, I'll be looking for them shortly.

I wonder what happened with LongFellow.

Besides that...

I also learned about Mel Blanc's tombstone (the guy who voiced much of the Looney Toons.

Duh, I didn't link to it.

Also I saw someone wearing a fedora/frillby for the first time ever. It was some old dude but still, they're no longer an old/internet thing for me.

Also, ummm... sorry for having driven IronWeaver away from the site.
  • It's interesting how, after Mel Blanc's death, his characters ended up being voiced by like a dozen different actors because nobody could match his sheer vocal range.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I posted about joggers here way before they were cool so I am officially declaring myself IJBM Fashion Star Tsar.
  • She can't type with those paws.

Anyhows, I feel like one of those times there's lots I want to do but end up with a lack of focus that ends up with me not doing anything.
  • edited 2017-01-21 17:13:15
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    She can't type with those paws.

Anyhows, I feel like one of those times there's lots I want to do but end up with a lack of focus that ends up with me not doing anything.

I know that feel too well.

The beat approach I've found is to do things without thinking too much about it until you've started doing them. I'm not great at doing this either, but it helps a bit at least.

In household animals news, I had a dream last night that I had a little gecko crawling over my arms and it was really cute. (This is something that has happened before in real life.)
  • I know that feel too well.

The beat approach I've found is to do things without thinking too much
    about it until you've started doing them. I'm not great at doing this
    either, but it helps a bit at least.

Let's see... I think I'm just going to list the stuff I want to do and choose a random number each day to decide what to do that day:

1. Keep on doing the MIT stuff (currently Physics III)
    2. Git gud at drawing.
    3. Git gud at zbrush (i.e. 3D sculpting).
    4. Learn to program in C++
    5. Git gud at programming stuff in Python, right now that means learning Blender (3D) scripting.
    6. Learn machine learning (currently reviewing Linear Algebra stuff).

That last one is because my brother is trying to get me into it, but neither of us is that good at programming and he mostly just watches YouTube videos about it, so I'm getting the feeling he's into it the same way one is into physics by reading Stephen Hawking's books, i.e. without really understanding anything, and so I'm somewhat wary about it.

Anyhows, today's activity is... gitting gud at drawing.
    Hmm, that's an idea.

Also, Physics III?  You're studying waves and oscillations?
  • edited 2017-01-22 20:19:55
    Yes... well, so far it's more like reviewing since I studied mechanical vibrations in real life. Why?

Edit: Also, it's the subject of my thesis.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I also have a list of things to do each day, but looks like the probability distribution is somehow skewed. About like every time it returns "browse sad frogs".
    Yes... well, so far it's more like reviewing since I studied mechanical vibrations in real life. Why?

Edit: Also, it's the subject of my thesis.

I liked that class a lot.
  • Is that you?

Well those are my legs, yes. And my dog sleeping on them.
    That's one of the dogs I met, right?
  • edited 2017-01-23 12:22:11
    I liked that class a lot.

Yah, it's pretty cool. Unfortunately I later learned that in mechanical vibrations we didn't study a bunch of stuff that I feel we should've known (we only studied one-degree-of-freedom natural and forced vibrations plus a very short project I can't remember well). My favourite will always be solid mechanics II, tho.

Anyhows, today's activity is... machine learning.
  • That's one of the dogs I met, right?

Why yes, it is. ^_^
    Y'know what's annoying?

Math (and science/engineering texts that make heavy use of math) that don't use consistent notational customs between them.

Generally speaking textbooks are internally consistent.  However, it doesn't help when one source uses one symbol for something and another source uses a totally different symbol for the same thing.

So I end up having to spend a bunch of time "translating" the format of a book I'm newly reading into a format that I'm familiar with.
    I can relate, I guess. That electrodynamics have a hard-on for CGS always confused me.
  • At least they're not imperial units... *shudders*

Also those books that use exp(x) and log(x) when it's not clear what base is being used. Older books seem to be particularly guilty of this.

And I only now learned that the determinant of an nxn matrix is the n-volume of the n-parallelotope formed by its row vectors. I never had a good intuition for it so I think that would've been useful.

Anyhows, today's activity is... gitting gud at Python.
    log(x) does bother me occasionally, but I always saw exp(x) as a way of writing e^x when you can't be bothered to write the x in upper index. Shares both letters, so the association is almost instinctive.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I forgot how exciting school could be, but that's probably a given considering how burnt out I was after December. I'll probably tire of it soon enough.

I've been wondering if I should start a toy thread here, but I'm afraid I'll just end up spamming it myself.
    Go right ahead!

Meanwhile...

What should paladin girl's name be?
  • Courtney.
    ^^^ Nothing wrong with starting a thread to spam it yourself (especially here).

^^ Not looking at the picture, the first pick I'd go for would be something that sounds like chivalric romance. Arthurian, perhaps? Vivian, Ninian, so on. Or Greek mythology.