If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

Learned that I'm an uncle today (since in Belgium this extends to cousins as well).

So woohoo

• edited 2013-03-07 12:22:05
    Has friends besides tanks now
    >mail from Federal Court

>Juror ID

Fuuuuuuck

(Apparently this one's just asking for qualifications, but

Fuuuuuuuuck)
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

What's the probelm with being a jury member?

• edited 2013-03-07 12:32:59
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

It's a pain in the ass, you have to drop everything else to do it, and usually it's for something really stupid.

I've never been one, but this is how my dad describes it, and he's a lawyer, so I assume he would know.

• Mention you are biased(we all are in some way, just exaggerate the ones you have) and jury nullification.

I wouldn't know much, given that panama has been working with an inquisitorial system for most of its history.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

It's a pain in the ass, you have to drop everything else to do it, and usually it's for something really stupid.

I've never been one, but this is how my dad describes it, and he's a lawyer, so I assume he would know.

I've had jury duty before, and this is all too true. They didn't even call me to a trial. I just sat in the waiting room for 2 days.

• edited 2013-03-07 13:07:15
    I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.

I wouldn't know much, given that panama has been working with an inquisitorial system for most of its history.

It's always funny how in American sci-fi series and so on "right to trial by jury" is considered to be some sorta fundamental, all-encompassing right and not an American speciality.

• edited 2013-03-07 14:06:33
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I sat in the jury waiting room for a day after I told them I probably wouldn't be available for very long.  Which was indeed true; while in the waiting room I spent my time reading up on law schools and planning my application essay.

That said, and knowing how much people lambaste jury duty in general, I can't help but wonder: what sorts of people end up doing jury duty anyway?  I find it reasonable to surmise that the patterns of self-exclusion are non-random, and thus they will end up biasing the juror pool in some way.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

what sorts of people end up doing jury duty anyway?  I find it reasonable to surmise that the patterns of self-exclusion are non-random, and thus they will end up biasing the juror pool in some way.

Well, FWIW, juror pools are biased anyway because lawyers want them to be as demographically sympathetic to their side as possible.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Point.

• But you never had any to begin with.

It's always funny how in American sci-fi series and so on "right to trial by jury" is considered to be some sorta fundamental, all-encompassing right and not an American speciality.

Juries are hardly America exclusive.

• I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.

Well, okay, true. They're hardly universal, either, though, and definitely not on the level of human/basic rights.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    I want to make a thread about some guy's blog. The guy is FULL MAD 24/7 and makes some weirdly entertaining posts on how wrong they are. He' s like your average /pol/ user but actually serious. Unfortunately it's in Spanish so only like 5 members of the forum would understand it.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I want a forum where I can express my views on the interpretation of certain classical piano pieces, but I don't know where I can find an audience that would even know what I'm talking about.

• You probably could, but the established forumites would call you an uncultured swine and probably a pedophile too.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

go find a classical music forum.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Unfortunately it's in Spanish so only like 5 members of the forum would understand it.

@nohaynicklibre: You speak Spanish natively and your English is perfectly fine too, why don't you translate this guy's blog posts for the sake of the thread you're making?

Well the biggest problem is that the defense/attorney have, along with all the specific ways they can exclude someone, have a certain amount of arbitrary exclusions they can make without having a reason. This generally means sizing up who you think is going to be sympathetic.

Being a law student got me excused by the prosecution right quick when I cited my belief of "Innocence before proven guilty" as being pretty strict.

• "Have you seen Titanic? Terrible icebreaker, isn't it?"

• edited 2013-03-07 22:32:55

^ Boooooo

Also, boooooo to ill-conceived government forms. I love that they didn't list "full-time education" anywhere as a reason for exemption, and so I had to use the freaking Occupation box to fill in that info and clarify in the Remarks box. Almost as irritating as the time Selective Service claimed I didn't get my response in (which I did, on account of I got the little card saying I'm registered) and warned me to get it in or else they'd have to take action, or some shit.

• Man, where do you live that "full-time education" is considered a reason to get out of jury duty in and of itself

And can I move there

• Has friends besides tanks now

. . . Yeah, I phrased that poorly. I meant that I'm going to school about 500 miles from home, so it would be pretty dumb to be so far from school and be basically unable to finish the semester so that I can fulfill jury duty. But since people can go to college that far away, or even farther, and since this is at least somewhat common, especially for those who did well in school, you'd think there would be some tiny section for it. Or, rather, you'd think, if they give little boxes listed 1-10 for reasons to get exemption, they would list more than fucking one (this one being if you're 70 or older).

• Ahh, that makes sense. Gotcha.

I'm pretty sure if you don't actually live in the jurisdiction where the court is, you pretty much get an automatic out, though. At least, that's how it works for Ohio municipal courts, but whatever court managed to catch you is probably running a more complex set of rules.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Uggh A-fucking-men to horrible government forms.

I STILL haven't gotten my direct deposit, and there was no check at the store today so I want to know what the hell is going on with my money.

• edited 2013-03-07 23:17:13

^^ This is from Federal Court, or District Court, or something, and I apparently have to list my home state as my primary residence, so they probably account for that. It's just a matter of them at least waiting until summer break before making me serve jury duty, if they make me serve in the near future. And even then, I really would rather not have them pull me away from possible summer work hours to do this.

Generally, being a full time student is cause for exemption since jury duty generally interferes with your studies.  Especially if you got a dissertation/grad school.

Recently they've tried to have the accusatorial system implemented in here but there have been some setbacks.

• No rainbow star

Page 666

Woo

• Admittedly I'm just bitter because I served on a jury while attending school full-time, so seeing someone else be excused for that just kinda makes me go "NO FAIR!!!"

In other words: Just ignore me.