If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM Anime Club: Gunbuster (Not actually watching Gunbuster anymore)

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I saw we finish off the series; it's just two more episodes.

Also, how about we watch both episodes at once?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I've been meaning to catch up, and probably still will.
  • a little muffled

Doing both episodes at once seems like a good idea. Well, I already watched episode 5, but I'd rather watch episode 6 soon than wait for everyone to be done with episode 5. >_>

It seems that one problem with this watching schedule--wait for everyone else to finish--is that momentum is usually highest to watch the next episode right after one finishes an episode.

Perhaps we should emphasize that people can watch ahead, but just don't comment on later episodes yet.

• a little muffled

See, that's fine for me having already seen it, but I don't think it works as well if it's the first time watching.

If/when we do a longer series, I'd be in favour of watching two or three episodes at a time, though, for that reason.

Actually, maybe we should get someone on board who's actually seen the series, so they can recommend good stopping points.

• a little muffled

Maybe we should finish this one before we start planning the next one. :P

• edited 2012-06-10 18:10:41
    Has friends besides tanks now

Well, there's episode 5 down. Liked it a bit better, and I think I might have liked this series a lot more if the studio hadn't had the misfortune of having to compress everything into six episodes. Also, still can't appreciate the fanservice, given that it chose weird moments to take place.

• edited 2012-06-10 18:18:43

I actually kind of liked the presence of fanservice in this episode, because the way it was done was so blatant and awkward that it kind of ended up being funny...

• edited 2012-06-10 18:41:21

Welp, just finished episode six.

^ Well, yeah, but making those moments funny kinda detracted from the episode as a whole.

• a little muffled

Wait, so we are watching episode 6 now then?

I might or might not be able to squeeze in episode 5 tonight, but just go ahead and finish the series without me.  I'm going out of town again and I'll be back in a few days.  I'll comment on both episodes when I get back.

• I've actually watched the series multiple times before, I'm just doing a refresher on it for old time's sake.  This is one of the series that really got me into the /m/ culture.

• edited 2012-06-14 15:38:27
    a little muffled

EPISODE 6 DISCUSSION STARTS HERE (as if there will even be any actual discussion)

Still as awesome as I remembered. I still think it being twelve thousand years is a bit silly, but since it would've fine if it had been one or two thousand years I don't really mind. Everything else is great.

• edited 2012-06-18 22:14:35
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Okinawa.  2032.  July 31st.  Graduation it seems?

What was the original starting year of the story?

The answer's ten years before that.  Oh wow.  Outer-space activity must make for really screwy class-of graduation cohort categories.

Oh wow.

For a story that started off as a vehicle for fanservice, giant robots, and jokes referencing another series, the story has become quite serious.

And are those two Studio Ghibli posters?  Yes they are.

And the shit hits the fan once again.  And once again Noriko is called back into action.

And I see where Evangelion got its pencil-snapping and cigarette-butt-snuffing from.

As well as the use of a trumpet to play a very emotional melody.  Wonder why exactly Coach was hiding his illness from Amano, and where that illness came from in the first place.

Eyecatch!  Writing break!

Yeah, Noriko, couldn't you tell just from Amano's reaction that she wasn't liking what you were saying?

The mecha combining to poppy j-rock music was a bit cheesy after those emotional moments.  But...I'll admit I teared up a bit.  Even though I saw it all coming.

Well, not the ending.

Episode 5 end.  Episode 6 is up next!

May 22, 2048.  Let's timeskip even further.

I see Coach did indeed pass away in a year since the last story.

And is that former rival girl turned trainer turned principal?

Oh, Amano now has short hair.  And this series really knows how to tug at those heartstrings.  I'm betting the one talking about "Auntie Noriko" is Takumi or whoever she was, the one who was three years old last episode.

And here comes the color.

Looks like I have to stop here, unexpectedly.  bbl.

Rewatching now.

I just noticed that Coach's grave is on a rocky cliff outcrop.  Kinda like Toma's in Chrono Trigger.

A ropeway all the way to space?  Dang.

Waxing philosophical about whether it's right to destroy space in order to destroy space monsters.  Quite a change from how this series started.

Is this whole thing going to be in B&W?  I hope not, unless there's a good reason for it.

These things must be like zergs or something.  They went from 6 billion to 8 billion in a matter of minutes.

And...suddenly, is this classical music coupled with still sketches?  Really now, Gainax?  I thought that was unique to episodes 25 and 26 of Evangelion.

....I guess they really did never see each other again?

• edited 2012-07-07 07:25:13

So they really did come back, just twelve thousand years late.

I wonder how long the journey took for them, though.  They still seem to be the same age, and heck, they would have had to survive somehow.

Good series.  Thanks to Nyktos (or whoever it was) who proposed we watch this.

• a little muffled

And...suddenly, is this classical music coupled with still sketches?  Really now, Gainax?  I thought that was unique to episodes 25 and 26 of Evangelion.
    Annos gonna...an?

• edited 2012-07-07 07:28:08

So he did work on this series too?

And I guess this series will also get some credit when humanity finally gets into space travel, for being an early hypothesizing into the consequences of time dilation.

• a little muffled

So he did work on this series too?
    He directed it. It was his debut for Gainax.

• And are those two Studio Ghibli posters?  Yes they are.

An example of Anno having fun with the backgrounds, since he actually got his break as a last-minute hire onto Nausicaa when Ghibli realized they didn't have enough staff to complete it on time.  He's the one responsible for animating the God Warrior sequence towards the end of the movie (and I'm fairly certain he's said that doing that scene is what inspired the design of the Evangelions later on) and was specifically chosen to do it by Miyazaki after he was impressed by some of Anno's sketch work.

Wonder why exactly Coach was hiding his illness from Amano, and where that illness came from in the first place.

If I remember correctly, Coach was dying of the complications of radiation poisoning that he got when Noriko's father's ship was nearly destroyed.

He directed it. It was his debut for Gainax.

well, Directorial debut, anyway.  he was one of the company's founders and was the animation director of Royal Space Force the year before Gunbuster, but this was the first time he was head of the show for a whole project like this.

• edited 2012-08-02 00:23:59

So, I think the time window in which to discuss Gunbuster has sort of passed, whether or not everyone finished. Anyone have ideas for other things to watch?

If I had to make a recommendation, it would be that we watch Welcome to the NHK (24 episodes, I think. Maybe the standard 26). While it's different from what I usually watch, and though I plug it often, I think it would be the best for opening up meaningful discussions out of what I could recommend, as opposed to, say, Seitokai Yakuindomo, which, while very fun and worth watching in my opinion, would probably just end up with people being like either, "oh my god what", "lolwut XD" (me), or, "this is stupid, Nines, why are you making me watch this juvenile crap!?"

If I felt like suggesting something that I haven't actually watched but sounds interesting, I guess I'd go with Hell Girl.

• edited 2012-08-02 00:22:07
    a little muffled

Suggestions of mine:
    C: the money of something or other long subtitle - This show was pretty entertaining from what I watched, and I've been meaning to watch the rest for a while. It's about, uh, the stock market or something, but with explosions and girls with horns and creepy magicians. 11 episodes.
    * Macross Plus - This show is a classic, I own the DVDs and they've been on my shelf since Christmas. OTOH another oldschool mecha is probably not what people want. 4 episodes.
    * Diebuster - yeah okay nobody wants to watch this, besides it's not even that good
    * Durarara!! - This was what was next on my own personal watchlist; I think a lot of people here have seen it though? 26 episodes I think, don't feel like checking.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Durarara!! - This was what was next on my own personal watchlist; I think a lot of people here have seen it though? 26 episodes I think, don't feel like checking.

Indeed, that would have been my first choice had I not already seen it.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

the money of soul and responsibility (I think)

Oh, and can I join?

I haven't seen Durarara!! yet either.

• edited 2012-08-02 00:30:23

"The Money and Soul of Possibility", or "The Money of Soul and Possibility", I honestly can't tell which.

You're absolutely free to join.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Thanks!

We should do Sky Girls. We could watch another short series?

* .hack//Liminality - Only part of the .hack series I haven't seen and it's more of a real life mystery series from what I've heard.

* Denpa teki na Kanojo - I heard this was pretty good.

* ParaKiss: Josei josei josei josei josei.