If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM Anime Club: Gunbuster (Not actually watching Gunbuster anymore)

Comments

• a little muffled

Go ahead without me when episode 4 time comes; as I posted in Updates, I won't be around this weekend.

I'll catch up on Monday.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Same here.  I'll be out this weekend.

• edited 2012-05-26 18:23:58

Technically, we should be watching episode 4 now.

However, nobody actually has watched episode 3 yet.

Still, ideally we should all watch episodes 3 and 4 by Monday.  Just talk about both of them at the same time or something.

I will watch them both...

...at some point tonight.

Probably.

• Has friends besides tanks now

. . . Oh, yeah, when he said watch it by Saturday, he meant before, didn't he? Well, I guess I'll watch it, then, and episode 4 as well, since I don't have much else to do.

I got back home past midnight last night.

I'll watch ep 3 this afternoon.

• a little muffled

EPISODE 3 DISCUSSION STARTS HERE

I forgot about the weird opening this episode has with Kazumi and Ohta singing. SUMISUUUUUU gets no character development at all, but his death is still sad because of Noriko's reaction to it. Next episode we finally get Gunbuster itself making an appearance!

• I felt... exactly the same about SUMISU TOOREN's death!  It would have been nice if he were introduced, like, an episode earlier so we could actually feel bad about him, but... so be it.

Also, "aa! kansatsu kisu...  iya... *blushblushblush*"  Because this wouldn't really be an anime if we didn't have that happen, right?

Also, as it turns out, I really don't like any character in this show except for Noriko.

• a little muffled

Also, the ending theme was really mood whiplash-y this episode. Last one too, actually.

I feel like I should just withhold comments at this point, because I don't really have anything good to say. (Watched episode 3, and will watch 4 in a bit).

That's an interesting intro.  A bunch of high school physics notes from that "Amano" character, whom I've already forgotten by now.  Coupled with a song by...wait, isn't that the person who's in a duet with Coach Ohta?

"First Love First Sortie" - I guess they're going to have a space battle this time, AND our main character will fall in love with a guy.

Reappearance of the best friend and glasses girl.  Maybe she'll be going to space this episode?

Warpspace.  I guess this is a staple of sci-fi that at least tries to explain how people travel through space.

Ghost stories.  Yes, definitely a very human thing.

Those robot heads are kinda creepy.

Where do they get all that fresh fish for sushi?  Did they develop super-great cryogenics too?

The techno babble and tech design seem vaguely realistic in comparison to some other things I've seen.  Is this a relatively hard sci-fi show?

Commercial break time!

• edited 2012-05-29 00:12:26
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

...holy shit.  Shit got real.

I'm guessing Coach was looking at the Gunbuster at the very end?

Looks like shit's gonna get even realer next episode.

• a little muffled

EPISODE 4 DISCUSSION STARTS HERE

God, Gunbuster's first launch is every bit as awesome as I remember it. Amusing how after two episodes in which the ending theme was serious mood whiplash, we finally get one that ends on a high note and they don't even play the ending.

• I swear to God I'll actually get caught up with this tonight or tomorrow or something... >.>

• a little muffled

Eh, this was the third day in a row that I said "I'm going to watch episode 4 today". Except this time I did. And I'm probably enjoying the show more than anyone else.

• Well, that was cool.  Gunbuster lasering the shit out of everything was fun.

I still can't distinguish the personalities of any character that isn't Noriko, and I suppose I never will be able to, but that's okay I guess.  Noriko is a good enough character that I don't mind.

Personally, I like that they didn't play the ending, since, well... it's not as good as the opening.  That seems to be a trend in anime.

• there has not been a piece of music in all of Anime more iconic than the Buster Machine March.

• a little muffled

I can think of some opening/ending themes that are equally iconic, but in terms of score music only? Yeah, it probably wins.

I guess the OP is supposed to be missing...?  Well, shit is going down, so it's not really fitting anymore.

I don't know why people aren't speculating that Noriko is broken up over losing Smith, but then again, maybe they didn't even know that Smith was her partner.

lolol fake beach murals, and people suntanning next to...the conveyor belt that people walk on.  This is silly.

Jealous rival is jealous, again.

What is with these people and their love of ego-proving fights?

At least Noriko is demonstrating a lot more self-confidence these days.

I spoke too soon.  She has still has severe emotional trauma from that incident.

Coach is the ches--no, the gomaster.  Is that board transparent?  Interesting camera perspective there...

And yeah, I still don't understand Coach's decision to have Noriko instead of Jung.  Then again, maybe it's because Jung has somewhat of an attitude problem.

The art may be stylistically dated, but the facial expressions and voicework are definitely very expressive and top-notch.

I knew something was going to go wrong.  Hot shit, it went way more wrong that I expected.

Holy crap, another named character died.  (And countless unnamed characters as well.)

The emotion is portrayed REALLY well.

HOLY SHIT that's supposed to work?

...what do you know, it did.

Oh, HERE's the opening theme.

That was pretty epic.

...so I guess that piece of music you're talking about is when the Gunbuster first rises?

And I guess something happened here in the original release, to cause them to say that they didn't even have the script planned out yet, but just had the last two episodes' names?  Well, at the very least, something had to happen for them to give two episode names at once.

• a little muffled

@glennmagusharvey:

...so I guess that piece of music you're talking about is when the Gunbuster first rises?
    Yes. It's also on the next episode previews, incidentally.

As for the last bit...I don't really know lol. It's worth noting that while the first four episodes follow one overarching story, the last two each pretty much stand alone, as though in a longer series each of them would've been an entire arc rather than a single episode.

Well, I finally watched episode 4.

• a little muffled

So I guess we'll say episode 5 period begins tomorrow then? Everyone seems to have watched episode 4 now.

So has anyone watched episode 5? With graduation and Pokemon White distracting me, I honestly forgot about it.

• Shit, I forgot too.

I'll get around to it... at some point. >.>

Wisconsin recall elections round 2 has just finished.  I'll get back to regularly scheduled programming soon.

• a little muffled

EPISODE 5 DISCUSSION STARTS HERE

I actually don't have anything in particular to say, I just wanted to symbolically start this.

• a little muffled

So is this just dead?

• It could very well be.  I still haven't watched the episode, so... >.>

• edited 2012-06-10 15:56:07
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Honestly, I don't like it enough to want to continue. If we were to move on to another series, I wouldn't object.

Though I certainly don't want to give up on the club as a whole.
  • edited 2012-06-10 15:59:27

Well I did end up watching episode 5. The whole first 2/3 was really sad. :c  The whole thing about time being distorted by (very,very high speed) space travel is pretty interesting, particularly in that it's actually being used effectively for drama instead of just, like... as a thing they mention.

Also, lol fanservice.

Super Inazuma Kick was awesome.

I actually really am enjoying this a lot.  I've just been really bad about watching it on time because nobody else seemed to be watching it... >.>