If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Avengers Assemble!

Comments

• Back in Black

I saw it for the second time last night and it was just as good, in my opinion. 

I went to a smaller theater that time, too, so I caught some stuff I didn't the first time because of stupid crowds laughing/cheering loudly.

Like "puny god."  Oh god, that scene is perfection.  XD

• I'm a damn twisted person

Whatever, that death didn't make me annoyed like other Whedon style deaths. Because it was a character punching way out of his weight class, not some random thing going through his chest... man what is it with Whedon and sucking chest wounds?

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

It worked for narrative purposes of the film so I'm cool with it.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Yeah. But Tara's death worked for narrative reasons in Buffy and that was kinda... shit. 

• Puny god was the best part of the whole film.

Come to think of it, I'd have been happy with just Tony Stark and Banner/Hulk snarking/smashing for two hours. Hawkeye in particular didn't add much at all to the film.

• edited 2012-05-12 15:20:53
    Back in Black

Hawkeye in particular didn't add much at all to the film. 

Well, he was important plot-wise when he was a villain, and God knows that scene on the roof and how the enemy can't bank was the exact moment he became legitimately cool.  :P

I loved how this movie focused on conveying the smaller details.  Such as the subtle $10 joke.  They did the best job ever with Captain America; he's just so lovably corny and, well, '40s.

• edited 2012-05-12 15:23:12

The Wicked Witch joke was awesome.

Hawkeye being a villain didn't make sense because he was the only one we hadn't had a film to get attached to.

• Back in Black

I don't recall that one.  I think "reindeer games" is up there, though.  As well as "Shakespeare in the park."  I think Iron Man definitely got all the best jokes (lol arcade games on a flying aircraft carrier). 

Well, from a meta standpoint sure, but it made sense narratively.  I think they should have de-brainwashed him sooner so he'd get more characterization, but he was alright for what he had.  I mean, what more did we need?  Crazy spy guy who uses a fancy bow and arrow and shoots things awesomely.  It's not that complex...

• edited 2012-05-12 15:36:55
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    The $10 joke probably got the biggest laugh in the theater I was in. That or the Galaga guy. Or maybe Shakespeare in the Park.
  • Back in Black

In my theater it was "I will not be bullied--"

• a little muffled

Definitely "puny god" in mine; if I didn't already know the line I wouldn't have been able to even hear it.

• You can change. You can.

Let's see:

Hulk punching Thor

"Target angry"

the $10 bucks

"puny god"

"Boot. Ant." 

Honorable mention to everything that ever came from Tony Stark's mouth.

• Back in Black

Ah, yes, "target angry."  That was a brilliant scene overall.

Oh, and you forgot: 

"He's adopted." 

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

I really liked the subtle way of handling Cap's time displacement. In the scene where they first enter the Helicarrier, a black S.H.I.E.L.D. agent greets them. Cap hands him a tip.

• Back in Black

He also wasn't told that chivalry is dead, judging by the way he specifically goes to cover Black Widow with his shield when Hulk pwns the worm thing the first time.

Though I totally missed the tip thing, and I've seen the movie twice, too...

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I really liked the subtle way of handling Cap's time displacement. In the scene where they first enter the Helicarrier, a black S.H.I.E.L.D. agent greets them. Cap hands him a tip.

You... mean when he gives Nick Fury ten bucks because of the bet? Because I didn't notice anything else like that.

She means a different scene (When they arrive to the helicarrier before it takes off)

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    oh

k then

I loved.

"LISTEN WELL BROTHER-"

SUCKER PUNCH

"I'm listening."

That moment pretty much confirmed that this movie was written by Joss Whedon.

Yeah, it's a very Whedon moment. He's done some variations on that particular joke but I think it was my favorite version there.

• edited 2012-05-12 19:42:23
    Back in Black

That whole scene was great. 

"Sir, power is at 475%"

"Well, ok then." 

~EPIC LASER~

Though I love how when Thor uses lightning on Iron Man it just overloads the suit, but when he uses it on the aliens it utterly annihilates them. 

Was I also the only one sitting there during the "unauthorized plane launch!" scene thinking "why the fuck doesn't the flying aircraft carrier have basic AA guns?" 

I loved Thor accidentally souping up the Iron Man armor. It's such a silver age comic book moment and it makes no sense but you never pause to question it.

• Back in Black

Yeah, it was funny when it happened.

I also loved Jackson's "I'm not following your plan because it's a stupid-ass plan" schtick, too.  That was awesome.  Mostly because of how he says "stupid-ass."  XD

Few people swear like Sam Jackson.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

My favorite line was Puny God, the thing that had me laughing the most was the argument with the whole team.

My favortie call back was "Can I take the drink now?"

• edited 2012-05-13 05:05:21

Just saw the movie. 

It was glorious. Glorious.

But I missed about the first ten minutes because my older brother picked a hell of a time to take a nap, take his time in the shower, and thus I couldn't go watch the movie without him.

What did I miss?

Loki shows up in a portal. Brainwashes Hawkeye. Blows shit up/

• I missed the first five minutes, then. The part with the Chitauri.

As to Hawkeye, I disagree with most of you and think he was quite useful in the New York battle with his vantage point. I mean, it's like MMOs: most people want to geek the bad guys, but few want to sneak around, scout, or heal. 

• Definitely not gay.

A final word:

What counts is that Avengers made everyone happy.

The fanboys were happy. They got to see all their favorite Marvel comic book heroes (and Hawkeye and Black Widow) on the big screen.

The producers were happy. They were swimming in money thanks to box office returns, not to mention additional cash from merchandising

The actors were happy. They got paid a lot and SLJ got to swear in one scene.

The only one who wasn't happy was Loki. But man, fuck him