If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• They're somethin' else.

lulz

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-07-07 07:32:50

Doom Dragon, the only reason you're difficult is because you keep spamming Cruel Ruin.

• When you kill two of its heads he starts using Djinn Storm.

Have fun!

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-07-07 07:42:53

I realize that, yes.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Probably from me, given that during my swordposting, I've mentioned many times that a longsword and greatsword are essentially the exact same weapon in real life with a reasonably minor size difference (a few inches in length and perhaps some blade thickness). 

So this has inspired me to do a new run of Dark Souls. Currently just before the Gargoyles, level 21. Raised my dexterity to 12 in order to use the shortbow, which in turn lured the bridge dragon down so I could nab the claymore. Got my strength up to 16 in order to use it one-handed, and the rest of my level ups have been in endurance. 

There is one claymore in the game and it is guarded by a dragon, which seems appropriate given how dominant the claymore is as a general close combat weapon in this game. 

• edited 2012-07-07 07:48:51
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

There are a few ways to get the dragon to fly away without a bow.

Getting my dexterity to 12 doesn't bother me, since it's a good place for dexterity to be for a melee-oriented character.

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-07-07 07:50:26

>Kill dragon with bare hands.

I know nothing of the game, but I can still joke.

• edited 2012-07-07 07:52:18
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^Yeah, and you need it for later weapons anyway.

^Hahahahaha, no.

I haven't killed the dragon since they fixed the exploit where you could snipe it to death, and I find the rest of the game easy.

• I wasn't being serious at all, I think that was from one of those text adventure games.

Anyways, starting to calm down.

Hmm, maybe I should play Omega Factor again. That's a fun game. :D

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I know. It's just...that was particularly hilarious because that dragon is easily one of the hardest videogame enemies I've faced.

Sometimes, in Dark Souls, I like to be a smart-arse. I return to an area I've cleared, unequip my armaments and proceed to beat on the enemies in the area with my bare hands. An unarmed hit only does a single point of damage, so fighting even an average enemy becomes an epic throwdown. I'm pretty sure the punching weapons in the game are pretty much there to take advantage of the unarmed combat animations while allowing the player to deal proper damage (not that those weapons are much good, anyway). 

That said, both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have a bit of a weapons balance problem in that some weapons are pretty much just less efficient compared to others in their comparable size category. For instance, insofar as medium-small weapons go, the longsword, club and scimitar/falchion are pretty much the best all-up, depending on your build. I'd love to get more use out of the halberd, for instance, but its animations are pretty inefficient

medium-small

longsword

Um...isn't it in the greatsword class?

And even then, it's not even the best greatsword; that's the Man-Serpent Sword.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

No, it's not a greatsword. It's the same class as the Falchion.

Huh. I thought I'd used it, and I never actually used anything that wasn't a greatsword on my main file, so...Idunno where I got that impression.

• For such a frustrating game, Mega Man & Bass apparently has calming music in the form of Pirate Man's theme. I quite like it.

• Pyromancer is the correct answer, FWIW >.>

Being a pyromancer really only makes a couple fights easier to deal with early in the game (and of course doesn't matter at all once you reach the Depths), and likely makes you rely on using pyromancy to kill strong enemies instead of the probably better method of ripostes/backstab.

Unfortunately, the gift which claims to give you health regeneration doesn't; it just adds 30 to your total HP, the equivalent of an extra level in vitality.

Actually, it's 5% of your HP.  Though yeah it's still not very useful.

I'd love to get more use out of the halberd, for instance, but its animations are pretty inefficient

Halberd-class weapons are actually quite good.  Lots of range and good damage.

It's just...that was particularly hilarious because that dragon is easily one of the hardest videogame enemies I've faced.

I killed it once!  Though, I haven't been able to do it since and I don't know if I will ever...

• Kichigai birthday!!

So I just started Metroid Prime 3. It feels a bit more linear and "talkey", and overall easier than the first 2, but is still pretty fun. And also the world's design is really cool. I can't wait to see what will Retro do with the WiiU with whatever game they are doing

• ^Play DKC Returns next. It's Retro's latest game if you don't count Mario Kart 7, and it's one of my favorites. It's also hard. Punishingly hard. The temple levels make The Lost World levels from DKC2 look like child's play.

• Kichigai birthday!!

I have already played (and beat) it, but never got to the temple levels

Halberd-class weapons are actually quite good.  Lots of range and good damage.

Their heavy attacks have too much wind-up and they're not very useful at all in tighter confines. What I love about the claymore is that, on top of doing great damage, it has both a wide sweep and a long-range thrust. So even if I'm in a place where only small weapons would usually be useful, I can use the claymore to dominate the fight. 

If I recall, the claymore (and I think the bastard sword) does halberd-class damage anyway, but with more efficient animations and greater versatility. I suppose halberds are good in open areas where you're outnumbered significantly, but a weapon with a good thrust can be used to draw a large group of enemies into a narrow space so you can fight them one at a time. 

• I honestly don't think I've ever used the Claymore's thrust attack on purpose.  In fact, I played through the entire game with a Claymore and almost never used any one-handed attacks (except maybe if I was backtracking through Undead Burg/Parish or something).  I like the extra damage from two-handing too much I guess.  Though apparently the thrust attack is pretty popular, since I think it's one of the reasons people prefer the Claymore over other greatswords for PVP.

I always find that two-handing leaves me too vulnerable in this game. It's better than in Demon's Souls, but somehow, two-handing still costs stamina and is often slower than one-handing (depending on the weapon). I would probably use two-handing a lot more if there was a speed boost and stamina cost reduction on attacks to counter the loss of static defense. It would be nice if weapons had a parry if wielded in two hands as well. 

• Woohoo! Barroth is dead!

• But you never had any to begin with.

The Gargoyle Halberd may be slow, but it's horribly powerful, and its range makes it handy against Infested Barbarians. Currently using it at +7.

• I really want to try doing PVP in Dark Souls, but the amount of time required to create a decent character for it really puts me off (it takes a significant amount of time to level a character to 120 and get them all the equipment they need, fully upgraded...).  The bottomless box glitch theoretically helps with that, but you still need to do a bunch of grinding unless you spend a few hours with a friend duplicating consumable soul items...

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I'm kind of surprised at how into the Walking Dead game my sisters are getting.

You guys, I've never been more proud in my life.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Oh my god you guys.

My sister's face at the reveal in the second episode of The Walking Dead game.

it is

the most glorious thing