If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I actually just ordered the 3DS version of Abyss. Hopefully it won't have the bugs.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

On the other hand, it probably won't have that infinite combo either...

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Okay, I just finished Bastion. (It took about four hours to complete.)

Yeah, Bastion just overtook Dragon Age as my favourite game of all time.

That game is beautiful. Everything just... works. It was put together really well.

• If that don't work, use more gun.

Got Rayman Origins for the Vita.  Man, this is a fantastic platformer!  The level designs are great and fluid.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Of course, it also becomes horribly difficult later on. Yay for infinite lives!

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Yay for infinite lives.  That's how I've managed to beat Action Fist.

• Interview with the lead producer for Castlevania: Mirror of Fate for the 3DS.

A few choice excerpts, and my thoughts on them:

NL: How hard was it to introduce characters such as Trevor and Simon Belmont into your re-imagined time line?

DC: It was easy; I love the original classic Castlevania games and wanted to establish the relationship of Dracula with the Belmont clan, so Simon and Trevor had to be a part of that.

NL: Where does fan favourite Alucard fit into the storyline?

DC: Alucard plays a major role in Mirror of Fate, and his story is one of the key features of the game

Great to see some of the classic characters returning in the new Lords of Shadow canon!

NL: How close is Mirror of Fate going to be to the Metroidvania style of gameplay seen in the DS and GBA versions?

DC: This is more akin to Dracula’s Curse and features multiple branching pathways with specific character areas. Players can backtrack and explore the castle, but this is an action combat game, not an RPG.

Holy crap, that's awesome! Castlevania III happens to be my favorite in the series! Don't get me wrong, I really like the Metroidvania titles, but I'm certainly glad to see a return to the pure action-based gameplay the series started out in.

Here's hoping it's just as frighteningly hard as the classic NES titles.

• They're somethin' else.

Dear god yes!

I just hope the storytelling doesn't get in the way, though.

• Has friends besides tanks now

So I finally started Catherine. I'm still trying to decide if I want to be a dick or not.

This happened to an early attempt to localize a raising sim.

Seems like the game is legally trapped in limbo on this side of lake, with no one quite having or not having the rights.

But at least there's an unofficial official translation that got leaked out, according to this post.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Here's hoping it's just as frighteningly hard as the classic NES titles.

Let's hope it's not and just uses a difficulty setting menu like most normal games. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I'm not fond of difficulty settings. I prefer modular difficulty, where reaching the end of the game is reasonably doable, but truly completing it is difficult. For example, in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, there are additional side objectives on each mission, like "don't be detected" or "lose no health." Failing doesn't lose you anything, but if the game seems too easy, you can try to do them.

Some RPGs use the option of grinding to get a similar effect. You can go ahead and rush to the boss and have a difficult fight, or grind for a bit and have an easy one.

Either works, I suppose. But I detest fixed difficulty, especially of the "this game is insanely hard and if you can't beat it neener neener neener neener" see: the developer of the Ninja Gaiden series, who claimed to be insulted when people asked him to make his games less controller-throwingly insane.

So he added an easy mode and called it what is usually translated as "Dog Mode". Dog Mode, now hmm, what common insult is tied to dogs.... 

They're dirty, they're sloppy, and they sniff people's crotches.

No, the implication there is that he's calling you a bitch.

Because see, female dogs. 

Extreme difficulty with no workarounds is pretty annoying. It originated because early on it was the only way to make a game more than ten minutes long. It stuck around mostly because of nostalgia for that era.

It also originated cuz then you could sell cheat guides.

I think people forget that, fake difficulty was the first form of padding. Not some kind of art. 

See also, lives systems. Though they're only half nostalgia. The other half is creators not realizing that there are better ways to penalize death.

Things that I would like to never see in a video game ever again:

• point systems that do nothing

• checkpoint systems as opposed to save-anywhere features

• ASCII graphics 

I consider these reasonable demands, but many do not. 

What's wrong with ASCII?
  • Wanna run through classic series Mega Man again.

Hope my PS2 will work with me.
  • You can change. You can.

I think people forget that, fake difficulty was the first form of padding. Not some kind of art.

As much as I dislike artificial difficulty, I do have to say that I haven't seen many people who claim it's "some kind of art" and not simply a preference on par with liking exploitation movies with shitty fight scenes.

• edited 2012-07-04 10:53:57
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

What's wrong with ASCII?

It's freaking letters and numbers is what's wrong with ASCII.

I cannot tell you how many roguelikes I've downloaded only to have to download a graphical tileset. It's stupid, there is no freaking reason you should be using colored letters and punctuation marks as your graphics in the 21st century. Not only that, but people do this on top of tileset systems. Meaning it's not even really ASCII, it's PICTURES of ASCII. 

As much as I dislike artificial difficulty, I do have to say that I haven't seen many people who claim it's "some kind of art" and not simply a preference on par with liking exploitation movies with shitty fight scenes. 

I assume you don't go to video game forums much?

I have seen plenty of people say that video games are bad, not "less enjoyable", bad, because they're "not hard enough".

They're not a majority of people, but they exist. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

What's wrong with ASCII?

It has its place.

• edited 2012-07-04 10:56:43
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    >there is no freaking reason you should be using colored letters and punctuation marks as your graphics

In a tile-based game, everything takes up one tile. If you draw everything, you run into a problem wherein a dragon and a mouse are the same size. That's...kinda stupid. With ASCII, it's all abstract.

Then can you explain to me how tilesets circumvent this problem? (Good ones do, anyway)

Um...no. I don't think they do, at least not successfully. Arguing in favor of your position isn't my job.

Other reasons: Some people just plain suck at drawing. ASCII is a convenient workaround, as it does not require you to draw anything.

Other reasons: It takes less power to show a comma on the screen than it does to show a picture. This is very important in massive games like Dwarf Fortress.

• edited 2012-07-04 11:02:33
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Dwarf fortress actually uses sprites, Nova >.> But it does have procedurally generated monsters that couldn't possibly be covered with a graphical tileset.

It was an example of a massive game, as it's far larger than any other game I am aware of. I only know of a few ASCII-based games, sorry.

It was a purely theoretical benefit, but it is a benefit nonetheless.