If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Sorry. Maybe I should've read thirteen versions of the script before I de-cid-ed to make that joke. It could've saved us some strife, or at least a little tiff-a. Maybe I'm being pessimistic and no such problems will aeris, and if they do I'm sure we can barret, jenovat I mean?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

cloud strife: n. an argument between meteorologists

• edited 2012-07-05 02:22:25
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

What are people's thoughts on this?

I like the concept, but the fact that the games are free-to-play will mean that any large game released on it would have to be purely a labor of love done in the developer's spare time. So I think fun will be had, but I don't expect any real masterworks to come out of it.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Also, Pokedex 3D Pro. About damn time.

This brings us one step closer to a Pokemon Snap sequel.

• ^^ I don't know, some of the most amazing games are labours of love.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Holy shit.

Want.

I've been pissy about the current consoles for awhile and I tend to love free-to-play games (cases in point: Yume Nikki, Ib, The Star-Stealing Prince, Knytt Stories, I could go on). Honestly? Worth the $99. 

• ^^^^ That is pretty cool, but I like the idea of something that lets you use any Android app on your TV better.

• edited 2012-07-05 02:29:49

^^^,^^I should clarify that there are a lot of good free games, but there's a definite cutoff point with regard to what you can make and release for free. It's not a matter of quality so much as of options.

^You still have to pay for those apps, though. With this, everything except the device is free, forever.

• True, but you said yourself the problem with that.

I actually tend to like free to play games more, with a few exceptions.

This should be interesting if nothing else. I can see it opening new avenues for casual and niche gaming alike. 

• edited 2012-07-05 02:33:45

Again, it's not a matter of inherent quality. But for example, if I want to make a game that for whatever reason needs to be in 3D, or needs graphics above a certain level, or a lot of maps, free-to-play pretty much isn't an option.

I was under the impression that the Ouya would have built-in developer tools. Am I wrong?

No, but having tools and actually putting in the work needed to make the thing are different matters entirely.

• Especially considering they wouldn't make any money off of it.

• I foresee a lot of games for it where the initial game is free but there will be extra content that you'll have to pay for. 

*shrug*

I'm not saying you're going to get the next Halo out of this, but the next Marathon? Possibly.

It's a matter of who ends up using it and why.  

Yeah, fair enough.

Basically, it's a good thing. Not flawless, but nothing is flawless.

I just hope it doesn't go the way of the Phantom where it's got a fanbase excited for it and then it just disappears.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I think that the videogame industry, thus far for the past thirty years, has had labours of love as a major driving force.

Most of those labors of love are monetarily compensated though.
  • edited 2012-07-05 02:46:29

^ This. Even a lot of the best indie games.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    http://games.on.net/stockholm-syndrome-how-six-men-kidnapped-me-in-dayz/

Man, DayZ sounds like a blast. And an RPer's wet dream. I'm definitely picking it up the minute Arma gets an inevitable daily deal during the steam summer sale.
  • Definitely not gay.

You know, I think I like both OoT and Majora's Mask. Both are great, but I can't help but like Majora's Mask a bit more.

In OoT, morality is pretty damn unambiguous. The good guys are beautiful princesses and guys with magic swords and the bad guy is a creepy-looking dude who wears black all the time, has dark magic and can turn into a giant pig monster. Hell, even the "I was only doing it because I was tired of watching my people to suffer" argument seems completely illogical when halfway through OoT it becomes clear Ganondorf is only looking out for himself. 

In MM, it's a different matter.

The only one I'd call truly, unambiguously evil in MM is Majora, and it seems more like a force of nature than a true villain. The rest either fell prey to human error (Igos du Ikana and on a grander scale, Skull Kid) or were just petty dicks (Gorman Brothers). This is best reflected in the antagonists. It's clear from the start that Ganondorf only did the things he did because he was an asshole, but Skull Kid was a genuinely misguided kid who didn't know how to express his feelings properly (Skull Kid, remember?) and lashed out against the world because of it. Both were pretty big douchebags, yes, but at least with Skull Kid we can understand the reason behind his dickitude.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Remind me why it is a bad thing that morality is unambiguous in Ocarina of Time?

• edited 2012-07-05 18:48:18
    Definitely not gay.

I...never said it was a bad thing. In this case, it works for the setting. I just can't help but like the fact that Majora's Mask tried to make the characters interesting.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

You did not say it was a bad thing, no. That was just the implication I drew from you saying you favoured Majora's Mask because of its moral ambiguity.

If that was not what you meant, sorry.

• Definitely not gay.

Ocarina of Time is kind of like Lord of the Rings: the focus is more on setting than on characters. This is because OoT was meant to establish the Zelda universe, and I think it does that job very well. I mean, sure they tried to humanize their characters with the Happy Mask Salesman thing, but it never caught on and ultimately felt tacked on.

Majora's Mask was clearly meant for people who had previously played OoT, and thus focuses more on characters than on setting. 

• They're somethin' else.

Urm.. Okay sooo, a collection of the previous Marvel Vs. Capcom games is coming out soon. Its called Marvel Vs Capcom Origins (presumably making fun of stuff like Wolverine Origins, i'm sure)

However: I find the title misleading. The only games we're getting is Marvel Super Heroes, and Marvel Vs. Capcom 1.

How incomplete and inconsistent.

• I already have MvC1 for the Dreamcast. I'll just learn to deal with the pain of that controller's D-Pad.