If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2018-06-14 07:49:20
    I've watched enough gladJonas and similar videos to know I must stay away from speedrunning.

Well, I did speedrun Cave Story's Sacred Ground back in the day, t'was fun. My personal record was just under 3:30, which was much better than my previous record and didn't see an obvious way to improve so I stopped.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    Well, I never went for world records or anything when I speedran. I was just trying to beat my personal best.
  • edited 2018-06-15 20:05:53
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    aygg2bs6r7td.png

The cow will get this. So will UE, whose screenshot I used to make this.

For everyone else:

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Unknown_Entity is streaming a Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past randomizer run in a about half an hour or so. (Waiting for another stream to finish atm.) Stream will be at http://vbprog.zonexus.net/stream/
    Stream about to start!
    okay, apparently soon-ish, because fixing something with a VM
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    "The cow will get this"

I do not.
    "The cow will get this"

I do not.

99 energy + 12 missiles + 0 supers + varia suit + (not shown) 50 reserve tank, charge, ice, morph, bomb

vs.

Ridley

I just edited in the text and the logo because BaNamco is making Smash Ultimate and Ridley finally got onto the Smash playables roster.
    UE's stream is now live! http://vbprog.zonexus.net/stream/
    i played hyper metroid then i played super metroid rotation then i have been playing super metroid arcade then i played vanilla super metroid and now i want to play a super metroid rando

what is happening to me
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    play another hack, like Z-Factor
    Steam's been pushing out a few interesting updates lately.

Here's the latest one.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/2515705802687784921

A few months ago there was that update that introduced a few new privacy options for profiles. And then after that and more recently, there was an update to the way webchat with friends works, along with the friends list webpage and associated pages (e.g. pending friend requests).
    https://beyondbluegame.com/

this looks REALLY REALLY nice.
    almost to the point of making me want a new computer that can run high-end stuff like this
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    a swimming simulator?
  • edited 2018-06-21 20:25:56
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store/shadowrun-returns-deluxe

free game
    a swimming simulator?
    a swimming in the ocean simulator :D
  • edited 2018-06-22 07:24:46
    Steam sale

confirmed buy:
    $1.24 Guardian (-75%, max -76%)
    $0.79 Mini Ghost (-60%, maxed)
    $4.54 Ghost 1.0 (-65%, maxed)
    $2.99 Pharaoh Rebirth+ (-70%, maxed)
    $0.51 MURI (current -87%, max -90%)
    $1.99 METAGAL (only -50%, maxed)
    $6.37 Graze Counter Soundtrack Edition (only -51%, maxed)

considering:
    $4.49 Azure Striker Gunvolt (current -70%, max -75%)
    $1.69 Sonic CD (-66%, max -75%)
    $3.99 Angel Express (-60%, max -70% Steam, -75% IGS)
    $6.74 Wonder Boy Returns (only -55%, maxed)
    $2.39 Season of 12 Colors (only -20%, maxed)
    $0.49 Endica VII The Dream King (-90%, maxed, but the reviews are very negative)
    $1.99 Sydney's World (only -60%, maxed)

not considering:
    Final Fantasy XIII (cheaper on Squenix site)
    Xenon Valkyrie (DRM-free version on itch.io)
    Mhakna Gramura and Fairy Bell (wait for DRM-free version to come to GOG)
    Beyond Eyes (cheaper on Nuuvem, Dreamgame
    Fruitbat Factory games (DRM-free on FBF's own webpage)
    Gun Wings (has been cheaper before)
    The Oil Blue (has been cheaper before)
    Voices from the Sea - Plus (it's in packages; unsure if I want packages' other contents)
    other games (discounts too shallow, or lower priority)

edit: moved three items from considering to confirmed buy

edit: dang. total $18.43. Not sure I want to spend that much. Time to mull over it.
  • edited 2018-06-23 03:26:47
    "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    Currently considering (prices in CDN$):
    Pyre ($8.79, -60%)
    Rock of Ages 2 ($6.79, -60%)
    Seasons After Fall ($4.74, -75%)
    The Magic Circle ($5.49, -75%)
    Hitman GO ($1.59, -80%)
    Broken Age ($4.39, -80%)
    Artful Puzzlers Bundle (I already have The Bridge, so it'd be $7.92 for Back to Bed, Pavillion, and She Remembered Caterpillars)
    Finally get around to picking up Portal 2 ($1.70 via the Portal Bundle, since I already have the first one)

I recently won a shitload of Steam credit in a giveaway, so I have money to burn... but I probably still won't spend that much. Old habits and whatnot.

As for deals I would recommend to others, Toki Tori 2+ and Teslagrad are both -90% off, and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is -80%.
    Curious realization:

progress_bar_not_proportional.png

Notice how the "amount to next trading card" bar is not proportional. It's $10 per card, so it SHOULD be filled almost exactly 1/9 of the way. Except it's filled a lot more than that -- just less than 1/5 of the way. It's overstating how close you are to your next card.

Not sure if intentional, or just an oversight, or if it's actually less than $10 a card.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    GMH, you've played Doki Doki Literature Club right?

Could you explain to me exactly what content would get it a general warning with Sunderland's school boards?
  • edited 2018-06-25 06:57:33
    GMH, you've played Doki Doki Literature Club right?
    I have not. I am aware that it is a VN that has gotten memetic attention because it is apparently some sort of genre-subverting thing that screws with the tropes of its base genre (the dating sim VN) and breaks the fourth wall in unexpected ways.

The internet's reaction to it seems to be along similar lines as the internet's reaction to Undertale, i.e. one of "omg mind=blown" and telling everyone around them to go play it while trying to hide the fact that the whole idea that their mind will be blown is itself basically a spoiler-like expectation.
    Oh so basically Katawa Shoujo but for the '10s? Yeah... well, I guess this is just one of those things.
  • edited 2018-06-25 17:01:36
    Was Katawa Shoujo particularly violent or anything like that?
    Katawa Shoujo was the big VN of the (late) '00s, that's all.
    Oh so basically Katawa Shoujo but for the '10s? Yeah... well, I guess this is just one of those things.
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    Was Katawa Shoujo particularly violent or anything like that?
    I thought Katawa Shoujo was simply surprisingly well-written for something that came from 4chan but otherwise not notable?
    Well it was a visual novel that people talked about at all, which I think is a big deal.
    [18:06:14] [GMH] i discovered a hilariously easy exploit of the steam sale minigame
    [18:06:20] [GMH] your XP counts time
    [18:06:24] [GMH] not aliens killed
    [18:06:44] [GMH] if they knock down your barrier, you don't get score for the time it takes to set it back up
    [18:07:01] [GMH] but what you can do is to simply tab away from the game after starting
    [18:07:13] [GMH] time still counts, but enemies don't move
    [18:07:39] [GMH] remember to tab back after 2 minutes -- if you go more than a few seconds past it, the game will count you as AFK and won't count your score
    [18:07:55] [GMH] tab back and click through to go back to the grid map
    [18:08:18] [GMH] if you want, tab back in justbefore 2 minutes are up and see how many you can kill
    [18:08:30] [GMH] most of the time you'll get a score that's close to the maximum
    [18:08:34] [GMH] sometimes even greater than it
    [18:12:35] [GMH] normal max score: low threat 585, medium threat 1170, high threat 2340
    TIL: VA-11 HALL-A was made by a Venezuelan developer.

http://sukeban.moe/index.php/company/

Neat.
  • I want to play it at some point, I heard it's super relatable if you're a (former?) middle class Venezuelan.
    i finally figured out a convincing reason why steam probably stopped allowing storing gift copies of games.

before i get into the reason i'm talking about let me address two other reasons i've heard before:

1. region price differences

this reason was popularly cited, people saying that you could get games for super-cheap in places like russia then trade them to people in the united states or australia. except, before this gifting change, there was already a store change that implemented a lot more currencies and also enabled more region-locking of steam copies, iirc. so devs could already prevent this from happening easily.

2. people buying gift copies of a game to stock up on it in case they get VAC banned for cheating

this is only mildly better, depending on the price of a copy. if you cheat and get VAC'd, you would still need to make a new account to play that game again, and have to start from scratch as far as virtual items go.

no, i think the biggest reasons was as follows:

> scam someone of their virtual item
    > sell item quickly
    > get Steam Wallet funds
    > buy games; send to inventory
    > sell below normal retail price on grey-market reseller sites