If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2014-02-13 14:41:48

So I recently came up  with an interesting narrative analysis for Kirby and the Amazing mirror. (SPOILERS if you haven't beaten the game):

In the intro to Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, you see Meta Knight fight his evil clone Dark Meta Knight in the Mirror Word. Meta Knight successfully defeats Dark Meta Knight and imprisons him in the Amazing Mirror that acts as a passage between Dream Land and the Mirror World.

Cut to Kirby minding his own business, when suddenly Meta Knight appears out of nowhere and attacks Kirby, splitting him into four! That's a bit out of character for him, but you pay it no mind as you're soon thrust into the Mirror World, looking for the pieces of the Amazing Mirror so you can return to Dream Land.

The way forward, however, is never what it seems to be, and to reach the Mirror Shards you have to search every nook and cranny for secrets and hidden passages.

So after a bit of exploring you face Meta Knight, who naturally doesn't want you to restore the Mirror since it would free Dark Meta Knight, and... Wait, what's this? He's not giving you a sword? That's definitely out of character. Something fishy is going on here...

So you find the remaining pieces of the Mirror, and finally come face to face with Meta Knight inside... And then the real Meta Knight appears! The Meta Knight you've been fighting is actually Dark Meta Knight , and the Meta Knight that was imprisoned was the real one all along!

After knocking the crap out of Dark Meta Knight, he reveals his true form: an evil sorcerer known as Dark Mind with an appearance similar to Nightmare. Look closely, however, and you'll see a fiery eyeball where his torso should be. Strange...

After defeating Dark Mind a few times in a row, he then reveals his actual true form, the same fiery eyeball that he had for a torso, only much larger! Even after you finally reveal his true self, he still tries to throw you off with tricky tactics, such as reflecting his shots off of mirrors and even flipping the screen upside-down!

So after you finally defeat Dark Mind, he explodes as the four Kirbies fly off back toward Dream Land. ...And then it's revealed that the Shadow Kirby enemy you've been beating up the whole game is not a bad guy like you probably assumed, but is actually the hero of the Mirror World!

Every aspect of the game, from the story, to the presentation, to the metroidvania gameplay, is representative of a central theme: Kirby and the Amazing Mirror is a game about exposing lies and uncovering truth.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

If you're online right now, this is rather hilarious: Watch live video from twitchplayspokemon on www.twitch.tv

TL;DR: crowdsourced controls for Pokémon.

• edited 2014-02-19 06:16:31
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So I just bought the Humble Indie Bundle 11: http://www.humblebundle.com/

first thing after purchase: log all new items in purchase log (I use this because too many bundles to remember without Ctrl+F)

second thing after purchase: download Guacamelee! soundtrack

HOLY SHIT this is a rich soundtrack.  I LIKE THIS.

You should pick it up too.  Purchase deemed worth it Oh I mean I also got Antichamber which a close friend was really strongly recommending too.  So yeah, purchase worth it.

That said, I actually already have Guacamelee! from another purchase (just not its soundtrack).  So I have a free key.  I think.  Same goes with Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams.  If you want either of these Steam keys, speak up.

(I almost made an inevitable Conker's Bad Fur Day Carl/Quentin reference there ("speak up, or **** off!"), but it would just have been really inappropriate. ocrap i just did it anyway)

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

Guacamelee! looks/sounds pretty interesting. If no one else wants that one, then I'll give it a go.

• edited 2014-02-19 12:24:10

For those Super Metroid fans out there: it appears that Ellsworth Air Force Base looks like Draygon, at least in Google's satellite imagery.

...what do you mean it doesn't? You're just not squinting right.

^ FYI, I haven't actually played the game yet myself; I just bought it right around the new year.  I was just praising the music for not being afraid of standing out in the spotlight and setting the tone for the game (rather than having the game set the tone for the music to timidly follow).  But yeah, if no one else speaks up for it, I'll send it your way in a bit.  I'm doing homework right now.  If someone does, we could have a melee over it

Cool. In other news, I picked up Donkey Kong Country Returns on a whim, a week or so ago. It's a... love-hate relationship. I mean, it's a fun game, really clever and creative and everything, but it just torments me so. I beat the final boss, unlocked the bonus level (but haven't beaten it; ugh, bottomless pits), and am in the process of hunting down puzzle pieces.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/stl/4192120473.html

Pac-Man Machine plus incredible story, $650 OBO.

So I've been playing Guacamelee! When I last left off, I beat Flame Face and got sidetracked by Hell, though I haven't tried any of the challenges there yet. Probably going to spend some time working on sidequests and finding secrets and such before I continue the main story. It's a pretty fun game. The platforming and the combat are both solid, the visuals are bright and appealing, and the music is catchy.

• It's a good game, I'm roughly around the same place, but I don't think I'll be able to play 'till the weekend.

• Man, I really liked Guacamelee! but the final few challenges (which are required if you want to get the best ending) are BALLS HARD.  So I beat the final boss, but never got the good ending.  Too bad. 

Currently wrapping up season 1 of Telltale's The Walking Dead, and wow it's good.  I can see where the ending's going, and I'm especially impressed with how they've built up the characters of Kenny and Clementine.  Looking forward to finishing it up, probably later tonight. 

• edited 2014-03-02 13:52:13
    My arms are falling off!

MH3U things:

• So after 145 hours of playing, I finally figured how to do decorations and skill points correctly. All it takes is one point to remove the Wroggi S set's Defense Down ability.

• As if one Plesioth wasn't annoying enough, there's a 3-star Tanzia quest where I have to fight three of them. Fortunately, I can just do this in multiplayer, but since I'm on the Forever Alone version 3DS version it'll have to wait until Thursday's MonHan meet.

• Fuck Jhen Mohran. No matter how well I timed the sandship's weapons, that piece of shit still crumbled into pieces with 5 minutes left on the clock. Oh, and this is a Moga quest, so I can't just multiplayer my way out of it.

• edited 2014-03-03 07:14:56

Played most of Just beat Guacamelee!

Things I like about it:
    * nice music
    * richly colorful visuals
    * well-designed visual style and interface, in general
    * funny script (with lots of references)
    * nice bosses (especially X'tabay and Jaguar Javier)

Things I don't like as much about it:
    * primarily about two things: combat with fighting-game-inspired/-style moves, and (especially the latter half of the game) platforming challenges.  I'm not good with precision platforming, and I'd much rather have an easy-to-traverse environment, and if there's a combat focus, I'd prefer a somewhat simpler control scheme (a la the recent Ys games like Oath and Origin).

Well, to be honest, the combat's not that bad.  It's pretty good.  It's the platforming challenges that get me.  It seems to be roughly Bunny Must Die difficulty as far as getting some of the secrets goes.  And those platforming challenges are needed to get the good ending.  Ehh, I'm not sure I want to smash my keyboard over this.  The stuff seems to be JUST on that verge where I can barely tolerate it or feel too invested in it and thus keep on trying.

the final few challenges (which are required if you want to get the best ending) are BALLS HARD.

So I beat the Cave of Madness (La Cueva de la Locura) after it almost drove me mad...then I found a Youtube video of how to get the Tule Tree's orb.  Then I was like, nopenopenopenopenopenopenope.

Seriously, I've already had more than my share of messing up precision platforming sequences due to smashing several buttons together that I shouldn't have smashed.

• I've yet to get the good ending, the Tule Tree is indeed obscene. However, I disagree about the combat, it really made the game stand out (compare it to, say, Dust, another game from that bundle), and a simplified version wouldn't have been as good.

• Fortune Summoners (too hard for me)

It's an acquired rhythm to be sure, but it's not too bad once you get the feel of it down.

• edited 2014-03-04 00:34:06

^^ Yeah, you're right.  The combat is actually pretty cool.  The only bit about it that really annoys me is the length of time it takes to get up after being knocked back.  And occasionally it's hard for me to figure out where I am in the thick of a melee.  I have to basically go by what I know of the game mechanics.

I actually really enjoyed the fights against X'tabay and Jaguar Javier.  The latter, especially, felt like one of those "hard but fair" bosses.

• edited 2014-03-04 14:53:08

One of the current Indie Gala bundles contains several Raiden shmups, as well as Dysfunctional Systems if you don't already have that, and a western-made (probably) dating sim, and some other stuff: https://www.indiegala.com/weekly

Also, I just found this:

No list of the games contained though, unfortunately.

Also, it seems that shift+enter still allows youtube videos to be embedded.  So the problem is paragraph markup.

• edited 2014-03-08 03:06:52
    My arms are falling off!

Hunt 3 Plesioth in succession

No.

• edited 2014-03-09 21:06:11

So, a person who says he/she remotely attended (watched the stream) BitSummit says that ZUN (the guy who makes Touhou games), at a panel there with two other guests (one of them being Naramura from NIGORO, the group who made La-Mulana), mentioned his intention to bring the games to English-speaking audiences officially.

sauce: http://www.carpefulgur.com/forum/index.php?topic=2407.msg13811#msg13811

• He said he was considering it anyway.  Which is better than nothing.

There's a transcript of the full interview.  He's pretty evasive about the topic, which could be "I have a surprise" or "I've really just been drinking beer".

Quick explanation: that game would be Serio's Castlevania Fighter, made by someone named Serio, which basically puts you in a boss rush drawn from many of the series's 2D entries, with your choice of player-character.

• So, Yoshi's New Island came out. And from what I've seen in gameplay videos, wow. Congratulations, Arzest, you managed to make Yoshi's Story look like a masterpiece. And I actually liked Yoshi's Island DS as well, which at least tried to be creative. Yoshi's Story for that matter, even with its simplistic gameplay, still had some spark of inspiration.

And dammit Nintendo, I was already annoyed with you because of the Dream Team gyroscope glitch, but why did you have to slap your name onto something so lazily made? Considering I've been playing your games for the past 20 or so years, I expect better from you.

• My arms are falling off!

I'd have no problems with Touhou getting digital international releases. It'd probably get people to actually purchase the games, seeing as the current option is to buy the physical copies, which tend to be more overpriced than Cookie Clicker's final pointer upgrade thanks to import costs and greedy sellers.

Yeah, if Steam has taught us anything it seems to be that people's willingness-to-pay can actually be made use of with lower prices (and a sense of certainty).

• edited 2014-03-23 06:53:50

So I was introduced to the orgy scene from God of War.

...can I register a negative amount of respect for this game?  Please?  I mean, I already had no respect for it when I heard about the scene, and then I was pointed to a video upload of it and I lost even more respect for it.

Edit: I meant God of War.  Sorry.  (Post previously said "Gears of War".)

• They're somethin' else.

God of War's pretty garbage as a beat em up, so I never had any respect for it to begin with.

But is negative respect an allowable quantity?

----

Anyway...you know what's one oft-overlooked but important problem with Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow?

The hitsound.

It sounds like a tap.

• I have negative respect for Metroid: Other M since it retroactively damages the rest of the franchise, assuming I don't pretend it isn't canon. Not sure if God of War is similar.

The only thing preventing me from having negative respect for Other M is that I haven't personally verified the claims that people make.

• They're somethin' else.

If "retroactively damages the franchise" can be replaced by "is responsible for dumbing down the beat em up as we know it", yeah, that's GOW