If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Is "Ouya" pronounced like "ooh yeah", "oh yeah", or rhyming with "booyah"?

• edited 2014-06-04 07:19:53
    My arms are falling off!

Two different gripes here:

• I've beaten R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 with five different team/sponsor combos so far. I'm only getting unlocks for two of them. (EDIT: Oh. Because they have to be swapped into the garage after unlock.)

• My smartphone just does not want me to play LoveLive. Downloaded root-cloaking tools so the game would start. I get to a yellow screen and nothing happens.

In case anyone hasn't heard about this yet -- https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

RPG Maker VX Ace and RPG Maker XP in a Humble Weekly Bundle.  Less than a day remaining!

• edited 2014-06-04 21:34:12
    a little muffled

I'm tempted by that but then I remember I already have VX Ace and haven't done anything with it.

• My arms are falling off!

Just ordered a copy of Rage Racer for $7.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Seems like there's a new trailer for the Witcher game. Canon characters officially confirmed.

(Linky here: )

And related to The Witcher, and the people who run it:

http://www.gog.com/news/introducing_gog_galaxy

GOG.com is launching its own a wrapper platform.  Since their games are DRM-free, it's optional (unlikely Steam), of course.  The point seems to be to provide community features, like Steam does -- most importantly, multiplayer features.

Seems like they're actually connecting its multiplayer system to Steam's multiplayer system, so that you can have GOG and Steam people playing together.

• My arms are falling off!

Steam has some DRM-free games as well (as in, you can just launch the game executable by itself), although they are rare.

• Trying out the Four Job Fiesta and so far so good with my army of Monks.

But then guess who got Berserker for his Water Job. :/

• edited 2014-06-16 09:31:30
    There is love everywhere, I already know

I think I remember why I only ever played through Tales of Symphonia once. I'd like to say the reasons I have are valid but it's mostly no free run (still!), I hate the world map with all my heart (I guess this is more of a general Tales thing? but somehow navigating the world map in Xillia in Japanese was more bearable than Symphonia*) and Raine.

*Though I guess Xillia's map is less disjointed from the rest of the game.

• I got Berserker last year.  It sucked ass.

Anyone here need to do some badge-crafting of Steam cards to get to level 8 in order to get summer sale cards?  I have a TF2 set.

Remember that you should max out 200 XP from the community badge, in case you haven't.

Speaking of summer sale, quick word of advice:

You get one extra card on any day during which you've crafted a game badge.  (Sorry, I don't think old sale badge crafting counts.)  Therefore, don't "waste" your card sets by crafting more than one game badge per day, until the last day.

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

I need two crafts' worth of XP to reach level 8. I have a Frozen Synapse badge in reserve (which I was intending to craft on a day that Team Pink isn't lagging behind Red and Purple, but I may ditch that plan at some point), and a half-completed TF2 set from my initial drops.

• edited 2014-06-21 12:30:14
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I have a complete Bastion set and right now I'm hoping to be able to trade that for the horribly expensive last three eXceed 3rd cards that I need.

Bastion cards are like 21 to 25 cents apiece.  The last three eXceed cards I need are Irias, Giee, and Celestia; Irias and Giee are actually the lowest-priced of the set at 37-38 cents, but Celestia is at a monstrous 60+ cents.

• Here I am selling my cards for steam money. 

Here I am orchestrating a large number of trades in order to optimize my ability to get a bunch of virtual trading cards that wil expire in less than ten days in order to use these trading cards to...wait, I'm not sure eithe--wait, are you selling your cards?!  Don't do that!  Here, let me take a look at your inventory, see what sets we can help each other complete.

• I've already sold them all.

Have extra cards of 2, 3, and 10; still need 1, 6, and 9. Trade offer here.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

In the cellar, already three Negroes have died. 

Could you guess my bro's playing Terraria?

• delta534 wrote:

Here I am selling my cards for steam money. 

Bee wrote:

delta534 wrote:

Here I am selling my cards for steam money, because I already have a full set; thanks, Glenn. 

• edited 2014-06-26 12:04:15

In the meantime, I've been too busy trading (though not quite as busy as during The Great Coal Event) and actually managed to complete a total of ten sets, so I can craft one each day of the sale.  The result is that instead of getting one Summer Adventure Card a day, I get three (or two in the case of the SAC set since crafting that doesn't generate a set, but does make me eligible for the daily bonus for crafting something at all):

1. Fairy Bloom Freesia

2. Stealth Bastard Deluxe

3. Guacamelee

4. eXceed 3rd

5. Summer Adventure Cards

6. Eryi's Action

7. Eversion

8. Anodyne

9. RefleX (to be done today)

10. La-Mulana (to be done tomorrow)

Something like this.

This will unfortunately put me about 300 XP away from level 20, which is where I'd hoped to be, but oh well.  I'll do it later.  I'll stop this nonsense when I hit level 20 -- I mean, heck, I'll probably run out of games I really like enough to craft badges of them.  Considering that I've not actually bought any new games for myself this summer sale...yeah.

Lessons learned:

1. Do your trading early.  Sales event card prices drop over the course of the event.  They are highest right before the event, but see #2.

2. Do your crafting only during the seasonal sales.  You might get additional rewards for doing so.

3. During the seasonal sales with sales event cards, those cards act as a common currency for trading between different sets.  Trading directly between different sets is very difficult, because it depends on finding someone who has set goals that complement yours.  Otherwise, you are just trying to convince people to do trades that involve throwaway cards.

4. Don't try to trade with anyone who makes a big long complicated trade thread listing their terms and conditions and how they'll do 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, 3:5, etc. and how.  These people are generally more interested in profit.  Unless you're in desperate need of a card and they have it -- you will probably be price-gouged.

5. If you have a feeling the trade might not succeed easily, you can try to grease it a little with market research and putting in a few cents more worth of cards than you're getting out of it -- for example, offer a 30 cent card in order to get three 9 cent cards.  You can include a message with a trade offer -- this is where you can help convince the trade offer recipient to accept such a trade, by telling them these prices.

Sets I'm still looking to complete:

• DuckTales Remastered

• 100% Orange Juice

• Cherry Tree High Comedy Club (like eXceed 3rd, this set is filled with card prices that are horribly high)

• Mutant Mudds Deluxe

• DLC Quest

Sets I might want to complete, later:

• Knytt Underground

• Wanderlust Rebirth

• To The Moon

• Defy Gravity

• Go Home Dinosaurs!

• Blade Kitten (also has ridiculously expensive cards)

• Bastion

Well, now I have another 10 Summer Adventure cards.  Anyone need help finishing their sets?

• edited 2015-10-09 07:49:40

[user deleted]

• edited 2014-06-27 10:37:34

Basically, cosmetic rewards, plus the ability to get more cosmetic rewards.

The gory details:

A complete set of game cards provides:

1. large-size official art of whatever is depicted in them (quality may vary among games)

2. the ability to craft a badge specific to the game, which produces:

2a. a badge, which is shown on the badges subpage of one's profile, and can be chosen for showcase at the top of one's profile.

2b. 100 Steam user XP, used to increase one's user level, which:

2b-i. is prominently displayed on one's profile

2b-ii. one's highest-level friends are displayed on one's profile page

2b-iii. is used to determine eligibility for some sales event benefits, such as getting sales event cards from voting for different flash deals

2b-iv. for every level increase, gives 5 extra friends spaces -- but it starts at a quite high number to start with, like 250 I think.

2b-v. for every ten levels, gives an increased chance of receiving a booster pack (extra 3 random cards) from any game when someone crafts that game's badge.

2c. an emoticon, which can be used in various communications around Steam, and is generally useless in most cases

2d. a profile background, which can be used to adorn the left and right sides of one's Steam profile, and is generally useless as well though slightly less so

2e. a coupon, usually giving a middling discount on a game.  In sales events, this coupon is usually replaced by a card from the set specific to the sales event.

In the current sales event, crafting a game badge also produces 1 point for one's assigned team; every user is assigned a team upon crafting a badge during the sales event.  Producing at least one point for one's team allows one to get a bonus Summer Adventure card at the end of a given day in this sales event, as well as automatic entry into sweepstakes wherein one has a chance of winning the top three games (currently being sold on Steam) on one's Steam wishlist, if one is a member of the team that has the most points at the end of the day.

Crafting a Summer Adventure card set produces 10 points for one's assigned team, as well as a set-specific emoticon and badge and background, as well as the standard 100 points.

Note that badges and XP are not tradeable, though cards are.

IJBM: the XBox controller uses A, B, X, and Y for its button labels, just like the SNES controller...but does them in the reverse order.

• A comes before B, X comes before Y, and the bottom and left buttons are the more "primary" buttons while the right and top are more "secondary" in typical game function and in ease of pressing, so the XBox labels its buttons accordingly.

Or something.

Which is why I tend to prefer calling the buttons "outer", "inner", "upper", and "lower".

• edited 2014-06-27 13:53:38
    a little muffled

Yeah that one screws me up when going back and forth between the 360 and DS sometimes.

Like it doesn't matter for a game you've played a lot because you've got the muscle memory for it and you're not really consciously thinking about whether the button you press to attack is labelled A or B, but half the time when I start a new game and the tutorial is like "press X to do this" I have to actually look at the controller to remember whether X is on the top or the left.