If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Victorious over Ozma. FF9 is coming to a close.
  • edited 2013-12-23 21:06:34
    "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

I picked up Brave New World as well. Took a bit of time to adjust to the revamped mechanics, but once I got the hang of it I just kept rolling. My first attempt, the first city-state I encountered was Vancouver (my home), so I got a kick out of that. First win was Freedom/Culture with Portugal.

My current game is Assyria, aiming for Autocracy/Domination. Cranked out a couple siege towers and some composite bowmen and knocked out Montezuma quickly (serves him right, asshole), but Augustus declared war on me in the process and... rushed Assur with a large, but ineffectual squadron of spearmen and ballistae. I just captured Rome (serves him right, asshole), might as well take Antium (mountain chokepoint, ugh) and finish him off.

• edited 2013-12-24 03:30:03
    My arms are falling off!

Warded off Lagiacrus in MH3U.

It's...not as hard as it was hyped or I expected. Okay, that's probably because I'm using a weapon with a decent green sharpness segment, but the whole ordeal lasted 10 minutes tops.

Also I'm glad MH4 removes underwater battles because those can go die. Too bad the West doesn't have MH4 (yet).

• How the hell are you supposed to defeat the final boss of Ys 1 in the steam version.

• My arms are falling off!

Just recruited Tharja in Fire Emblem: Awakening. My character x Tharja already at C-rank.

I-I'm totally not grinding free battles b-because I want to get to S-rank with her or anything!

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

@delta534: I hear that he's kinda random.  Or at least that's what I remember hearing.

• edited 2013-12-27 16:35:44
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So apparently, gaining a level or two in Ys 1 (NES) makes the beginning of the game tons easier.  Instead of having to bump the red enemy like twenty times (and having no effect on anyone else), you suddenly only have to bump it like 7 times and you can also bump the blue one now.

This is with the short sword.

I'm wondering whether I should take the time to play this game, or just go straight to the Chronicles version.

Edit: Holy shit I just realized I've been playing the entire game so far without sword or armor.  I forgot to equip them.  Derp.

Kishgal in particular appears to be specifically programmed to do this

I actually saw someone taking advantage of this to beat Kishgal in nightmare difficulty, so I was thinking that it might be useful.

Should I play Torchlight before playing Torchlight II, or does it not matter?

Borrowing Kid Icarus Uprising from my niece.

Air battles are great--good rail shooter action similar to Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. Land battles, however...who the hell invented this control scheme?!

• They're somethin' else.

On paper it sounded like a good idea. 3rd Person Smash Bros.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    There are some games with that style, like Power Stone, and it's pretty fun, so I don't see why it would' t work

I hear that Power Stone is a much better game than a Mega Man weapon

Maybe it's because I haven't played multiplayer, but the third-person parts in single-player feel more like Metroid Prime with a Kid Icarus skin and a terrible attempt at an edgy control scheme.

• They're somethin' else.

People keep using the word edgy. I do not think it means what you all think it means.

Let's go carve for a Royal Ludroth tail!

*gets a scale instead*

QUEST ABANDONED

• To be or not to be? That is the question.

From my tumblr:

Thanks to boredom, I want to start ANOTHER Let’s Play, but first, I will let you guys vote on what game I should LP!

On another note, if I can, then I’ll let YOU choose which characters to pick or applications for soldiers (In the case of certain games)

* OpenXCOM

* MegaMek

* Jagged Alliance 2

* Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel

* Silent Storm

* Taking ANY suggestions for LPs!

• X-Com is the only one I know of.

• edited 2014-01-15 04:06:52

DLC Quest

Okay, serious pick, Silent Storm.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I don't know if it should get a thread, but it's interesting: Dwarf Fortress: a Marxist analysis.

• Rayman Origins is pretty hard, guys.  It makes me never want to go scuba diving, ever. 

(main quest is challenging, but with reasonable difficulty scaling and a forgiving checkpoint system.  The final few Treasure Chest Chase stages are INCREDICULOUS.  Only beaten 6 out of 10.  I'm not sure I want to see how hard the bonus world is.)

• Maaaan, making a Let's Play is hard. I made a prototype, but organizing screenshots took more time than everything else combined. Is there, like, a technique for it?

• edited 2014-01-17 23:30:53
    My arms are falling off!

I tried to make a video LP once, but terrible recording practices that led to horrendous amounts of sound lag and by horrendous voice put a very swift end to my nearly-nonexistent career.

The "raymoo plays" tag on my blog could count as quasi-LPs, but I don't document every important detail when I play.

Probably easier to do post-recording commentary, or text commentary on screen.

RaidouFrost did that with his SMT I and II LPs. He also skipped random encounters in later episodes, especially in areas where the encounter rate becomes ball-bustingly high.

• edited 2014-01-22 06:59:11
    My arms are falling off!

Permadeath in Fire Emblem: Awakening Classic mode is fine and all, but several things bother me:

• You can just savescum if someone dies. (Then again, this is something one can discipline themselves not to do.)

• It applies to optional battles as well, such as Paralogues, random level-grind Risen battles, and StreetPass battles. (Then again I guess the idea of "anyone can die due to an unfortunate incident" is the whole point.)

• I get attached to characters so easily; I reset because I killed Tharja in Chapter 9 before I realized I could recruit her, oops. The idea of a character being locked out for the rest of a 25-hour playthorugh seems a bit much to me. (In contrast, being one crew short in FTL due to a crew death isn't as bad due to the game lasting only 90 minutes or so.)

Call the FBI because I don't play Fire Emblem "properly", I don't give a fuck.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

You can just savescum if someone dies.

This is what everybody does in every FE game though.

• To be or not to be? That is the question.

@Raydere: Most of the things also apply to games such as Jagged Alliance 2, mainly the first and last points. I can always save scum, but the real problem for me is easily getting attached to my mercenaries. I have Wolf (All around shotgunner), Igor Dolvich (Come on, the Dolvich family are badasses), Fidel (Explosives expert with a big trigger finger), and my created IMP mercenary who specializes in night ops and covert operations. I refuse to let anyone die in Jagged Alliance 2 because the consequences are so great. I don't want an AIM mercenary to suddenly say, "No, you can't hire me because you let these men die in the battlefield!"

Well, unless I feel like booting up a game in iron man. Which means more mercenary deaths.

And same goes for Yggdra Union, with the inclusion of miss able items.

On a save scumming note: It was easier for me to stop save scumming in UFO: Enemy Unknown and XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Hell, I usually play Classic Ironman in the latter.

That's pretty much why on subsequent runs I'm just gonna do Casual, if I'm gonna savescum. Especially if I decide to play Hard or (by some lapse of judgement) Lunatic.

If I'm concerned about "taking away from the experience" by having downed units come back, I can just chapter reset.

• edited 2014-01-26 19:57:07

So should I buy Agarest in order to encourage more strategy JRPGs to come to the west, or should I avoid buying Agarest to not encourage a company (or pair of companies) that also made Monster Monpiece?