If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-12-09 16:54:47

^^ I assume it's a translation inconsistency -- like, maybe Polite Children was originally a more stereotypical (or more likely satirically so) Japanese schoolbook, and you're building makeshift desks out of recycled books.  Or out of child discipline so rigid you could physically build desks with it.  Or something.

I'm pretty sure neither the original developer nor Carpe Fulgur was making a teacher sex abuse joke on purpose, if that's what you're asking.  They're willing to get off-color, but not that off-color -- not even by wordlessly burying it in your fusion list.

• edited 2013-12-09 18:51:32
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Anyone know what game this is? 

^ And I figured that interpretation was unintended.

That said, there's also a possibly much more relevant interpretation relating it to the Big Screw.  The Institute Screw Contest, unofficially known as the Big Screw (because winners are awarded such an item), is an annual contest at MIT where students get to vote on which professor "screwed" them the worst (academically, that is); the winner is awarded an oversized screw as well as all the proceeds going to the charity of their choice.

• And that same client on the last floor of the dungeon got Ominous Winded in one shot by a Rotom hiding inside the goddamned wall in a corridor because he kept standing there spamming Mud Sport instead of moving his dumb ass to draw it into the open where I could hit it.

• My arms are falling off!

> Miiverse update for 3DS

> Nintendo Network ID linking

> STILL CAN’T ADD PEOPLE VIA ID INSTEAD OF FRIEND CODES

gg nintendo

• They're somethin' else.

^^^Mercenary Kings.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-12-11 03:14:04

So I'm playing Phantasy Star 3.  In many ways, it's even more of a mess than 2.  The interfaces are polished a bit more in layout, but are if anything even less intuitive -- the fact that they replaced half the text labels with pictures that aren't the clearest things ever doesn't help.  The event flagging is if anything even more opaque than 2, though not QUITE as bad as 1.  This is exacerbated by the world map being considerably more open from the outset than in previous games, instead of providing a certain amount of railroading-by-geography.  It's not uncommon to run into high-level monsters FF2 style because there was nothing physically separating you from a later area.

It's plagued with a lot of rushed text.  Status updates will flash for like a quarter second and then disappear without input.  When you level up, you don't even have time to read how much money/XP you get from the battle before the level-up text pushes it off the screen.

The music is really irritating.  PS2 for all its flaws had some decent music -- not exactly good, but unintrusive enough -- but this is what I like to call "Genesis Ear Rape".  There's a lot of horrendously loud overdriven electric overpowering everything else without even a decent musical buildup.  You get into a random battle and it just kind of pops out of the speakers and earfucks you with a really obnoxious two beat penis-riff over and over until you start the turn.  And then it changes music throughout the battle, but the reasons why it changes to what aren't very clear and seem completely arbitrary, so it's just jarring.  A lot of the music feels rhythmically desync'd too, so anything that was already a turnoff feels even worse.

The scrolling isn't as bad as in 2 -- you don't have to get 3/4 of the way across the screen to start seeing more of the area -- but it's still pretty bad.  It's made worse by battles not re-centering it, and getting skewed way off center by leaving towns and buildings in a really arbitrary way.  You'll come out of a house in town and suddenly you're on the far right edge of the screen even though you're nowhere near the right edge of town.  And so on.

At the very least, the dungeons don't seem to be over-scaled clusterfucks.  Yet.

Spent the longest time in MonHun 3U using Dual Blades. Trying out Switch Axe instead, even if I have to sacrifice movement speed.

• edited 2013-12-11 18:47:19
    smote

One of the comments on Glenn's link:

It would have been fine if it involved a semi-naked woman with: "Democracy! Try me now My Lord!" written beneath.

• I laughed, but then I stopped because it's probably true :(

GOG.com is holding its winter sale...and for that matter, right now, Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics are all FREE.

• Are the GOG servers functional right now, It was a pain getting on earlier.

• Playing through Torchlight II after taking a break.

I have to say, I'm starting to feel Prismatic Bolts is a bit overpowered. It's virtually the only skill an embermage will ever need.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/261700/discussions/0/630799997221336098/

Eryi's Action, that little troll platformer by the dev who made Syobon Action (a.k.a. Cat Mario), is not just on Steam now...but also coming to Linux.

More importantly though:

One of the outputs of the project will be an open source release of 'DxPortLib', a library to facilitate porting from DxLib to SDL2 so hopefully paving the way for doujin circles to make their own ports from Windows to Mac OS X, Linux, iOS, and Android.

This could be BIG news.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-12-14 02:36:59

Finished Toki Tori 2, except for a couple buggy endgame achievements.

Brilliant, brilliant game.  For having only two non-movement buttons, some of those puzzles are fucking DEVIOUS.  The way you get the last three collectibles in the final level might be one of the sneakiest things I've ever seen.

Tried to learn how to use a bowgun on MH3U 3DS.

Wow this is fucking garbage. I can't aim precisely at all. It's easier to just no-scope everything.

For that matter it's just easier to use blades.

• edited 2013-12-18 02:05:55

So, someone put up this video.  It's 21 minutes long and involves someone complaining about the selection of a user named Dina as Community Manager for concept as it develops the game Mighty No. 9.

I commented on the video, but given that they were three long comments critical of the person who posted the video, they're likely to be deleted.  So I've taken the liberty of reposting my comments below.

Spoiler:
    I don't see what the problem is, other than "I don't like her art style".  I don't like it either.  But that's basically about it.  Oh, and that she doesn't know how to handle PR, I guess.

The comment she retweeted from Josh Weatherford is a reasonable comment.  Also, it's a retweet.

I'm not familiar with femfreq but it's her retweeting another guy tweeting about a third person's social commentary.  Not to mention "men = default" is a real problem with media.

And Bayonetta does do fanservice poses.

Never played/watched/whatever Beyond Two Souls, but non-exploi(ta)tive female characters sounds like a good idea.

Gender-neutral pronouns are a cool idea, albeit in unwieldy in current English usage.  Also, Sweden gives us IKEA so I'm okay with them.  Also Swedish meatballs.

Seriously, though, what's your problem with sexual equality?  None of the pieces of evidence you cite seem to suggest she's the problem.

And why does any particular person on the staff need to be a Mega Man player?  Heck, if anything, the only Mega Man player you'd need on the staff isn't exactly a player himself; he'd be the series creator and lead designer, and that's all you'd need anyway.  It's a silly idea to presume that only people who've played MM games should be staff.  Besides, they're not even designing a Mega Man game...they're designing Mighty No. 9.  And that post is far better-written than anything by t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m.  As for Mega Man X, she could just be making a comment on the art, which would make complete sense since she's an artist.  She never said she'd played the game Mega Man X.

Also, locking one's social networking presence and taking out the trash (ahem) is not exactly surprising for a person who's formerly a private citizen suddenly being confronted with an internet PR nightmare.  And just because she knew people there, doesn't mean that she's unqualified for the job.  Yes, she may be a walking PR nightmare, but that doesn't mean she's unqualified.

Your accusation of her trying to build a fake public persona hinges on the assumption is unfounded; the evidence you cite -- "if she knew people, why did she have to suggest making Beck female publicly?" -- is circumstantial at best.  So she has an opinion!  She posts it.  Occam's Razor suggests that she just had an opinion and posted it.

Frankly speaking, this applies to the whole assumption that she wants to push an agenda.  The most I can read, reasonably, into the evidence cited, is that she supports the ideas you seem so trepid about.  But support doesn't mean forcefully pushing an agenda.  The only actual suggestion of intention is that very first suggestion about making Beck a female character...where she actually listed that as an ALTERNATIVE to Call becoming a playable character.

...and incidentally, Call has been made a playable character anyway.  So if you're so fearful of Beck becoming female, let that comfort you.

Though, honestly, would it really have mattered if Beck were designated as a "female" robot, whatever that means?

...o_-...-_o...

...nah.

By the way, Mega Man X is a well-designed, well-regarded game, so it's not at all a bad place to start one's Mega Man experience.  Don't knock it.

I just keep quiet on the MN9 controversy because honestly social justice and the like is the new politics and religion.

In brighter news, SMT IV. An all-targeting gun combined with elemental ammo is probably one of the most useful things in the early game.

• Politics and religion was ALWAYS social justice.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-12-18 19:27:32

I've finished the Crystal Nightmare Boss Rush with half the playable characters -- Tielle, Caillou, Charme, and Griff.  Most of them have one really really awful fight (usually Samhains, Eyebats, or Arma) and utterly dominate the rest.  I've come to enjoy Griff now that he's grown into enough of an SP pool to actually use his skills.

Nagi seems like the logical next bet, though the Arma fight kind of terrifies me with her, and she doesn't have any nice way of taking 3x Samhains.

Arma is pretty bad until you get her super-OP Tier 5 fusion weapon (whose main ingredient is a drop from...the final boss of Crystal Nightmare Boss Rush), but she wouldn't be that bad after I get it.  I already have her rocket boots, so all I need is a weapon that isn't complete crap.

I can at least see it happening with Louie, since he's got decent range and a strong diagonal plus an instant special to knockdown the character bosses.  The Samhains and Eyebats will be horrible though.

Elan is pretty much a lolno across the board.  Hilaribad character.  He's level 90 and still barely viable for Lapis Boss Rush, much less Nightmare.  Range and damage output are complete crap, and his only real tactic is to berserk and then throw himself at everything in sight.

• Steam's holiday sale is going.  Current flash sale has the Carpe Fulgur pack for anyone who doesn't have it yet and is willing to pay one cent more than the combined individual games.  BECAUSE REASONS, I dunno.

Also Toki Tori 2 is up for 85% off, and I'd call it worth $3.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-12-20 00:53:32

That's her Burst.  You get it from the Roo in the final level.

It's the worst Burst in the game by far.  Bosses just jump out of its radius, and most of them take the opportunity to drop a huge attack on your head the moment you come out of it because you can't move.  I think Epona is the only fight where it's not an outright liability.  It doesn't even negate Zava's final attack.

It's good for cleaning out a few key rooms of trash mobs in Demonic Core on Nightmare though.  But then, anyone's Burst is, and hers is still the worst one.  And you should probably be throwing phoenixes nonstop by then anyway.

Wait, how do you do Burst?  I thought Burst was just a thing that made you do double damage and take less damage for a short period of time.

Plugged up at Xi Wangmu in SMTIV. Megaton Press is a pain in the ass, and spamming Rakukaja and Fang Breaker ad nauseam doesn't fix it much, especially when it has a strong tendecy to inflict Critical Hits in a game that uses the Press Turn system. Seems like hit/evasion spells will be necessary here.

Carpe Fulgur's games are on flash sale!  Get them now for 75% off!  For the next (slightly less than) 4 hours!

pinging @Icalasari

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-12-20 03:26:43

That's BOOST.  And you have that for almost the entire game.

BURST is the extra one you get from the Roo in Demonic Core, where you Boost, then hit the Boost key again and it does something ridiculous.  Yunica gets a circle of death that bad guys like to jump out of before dropping a one-hit-kill iceberg on her head, Hugo gets a way overpowered shield, and Toal and Adol get a big frickin' aimable laser.

All of them make you (mostly) invulnerable for the duration, but Hugo's is the only one that lets you move -- so expect a Nightmare boss to take the opportunity to drop something on your head the moment it ends.  Kishgal in particular appears to be specifically programmed to do this, and Dalles's final phase will usually leave a slow trap on top of you then follow up with a vortex.

I had to abandon the 4-star Bloodstone quest in MH3U because Giggis and Giggi holes and those pulsating blob things nope nope nopenopenopenopenope.

I'm sure they're not very harmful but godfuckingdammit this is creepy as all hell. I'd rather be surrounded by ten Lagiacruses.

• Beat Pictimos in Ys Origin.  His patterns weren't *that* challenging, but his high damage and annoying revives were problematic for the first few runs.  It took me three or four times to get him, and I grinded for one level-up after my first loss). 

Also, trying the Brave New World expansion for Civ V.  Cultural victories are WAY more interesting now, as you aren't penalized for building multiple cities and instead rewarded for aggregate Culture and Tourism.  Building additional cities still limits your Policies and Ideologies (which are new, different, and pretty cool), but you don't need to max any Policy tracks to get a cultural victory.  This new way is better. 

Also: trade routes are more fun than they used to be and I'm glad that I don't need to go full HAM on roads to city-states.  Caravans and Cargo Ships totally make sense and make commerce a lot more powerful, if not an explicit victory path.  S'all good.  I can still build spaceships and destroy civilizaitons with tourism.  That's plenty. 

• edited 2013-12-23 21:47:02

Beat Pictimos in Ys Origin.  His patterns weren't *that* challenging, but his high damage and annoying revives were problematic for the first few runs.  It took me three or four times to get him, and I grinded for one level-up after my first loss).

The best part about Pictimos is that

Spoiler:
    for the very last revival, it no longer uses mini-mantises and thus it switches back to its first pattern. 
    That has indeed caught me off guard before.