If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

MGS1 had a first-person perspective, you just couldn't shoot from it. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

True.

But MGS2 is designed in such a way that you're intended to spend a pretty large amount of time in it, just from a mechanics perspective. And then at the same time as Raiden becomes his own person, you lose all the weapons that operate in first-person.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I think the better example of Raiden freeing himself from player agency would be the dog tags that you define towards the beginning of the game, which then proceed to do nothing except to be thrown away.

Also true.

But I was talking about a way in which experiencing MGS1 first strengthens MGS2.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Decided to go with MGS1 first.

• edited 2013-01-23 01:32:30
    You can change. You can.

Well, I wouldn't deny that. It's just that MGS1 is not as easily available by virtue of not being on the MGS HD Collection (Don't think it's on PSN. If it is, then disregard) and I think that MGS2 is a very strong game on its own. 

ETA: Plus, in my opinion, it has aged pretty badly. Both the remake and the original.

True about being harder to get. I, fortunately, have the Essential Collection.

As for aging...yeah, very much so. But I still feel that it strengthens the series as a whole. 

• Aaand finished Link's Awakening. Didn't get Perfect Ending though.

• You can change. You can.

True about being harder to get. I, fortunately, have the Essential Collection.

where do you live and per chance would you mind if somebody, say, stole this

• edited 2013-01-23 03:21:33
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Which version of MGS1 should I go with?

Original or Gamecube Remake?

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^Twin Snakes trivializes some boss fights with the addition of first person shooting, but is updated graphically and adds some awesomely over-the-top cutscenes.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    Things announced in today's Nintendo Direct:

Yoshi's Epic Yarn

SMT x Fire Emblem

Smash Bros, 3D Mario and Mario Kart for E3

Wind Waker remake

New Monolith Soft game

So, Wind Waker is getting a Wii U HD remake. I'm pretty excited about that just on general principle, but on the other hand, this is a game that still, to me, already holds up better than the average AAA game released two or three years ago. But on the third hand, if Gamecube discs don't work on the Wii U, it's good for that game to be preserved.

SMT x Fire Emblem

I could not ask for anything more perfect. Thank you Atlus/IntSys for single-handedly making me want a WiiU now.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

I feel like the only one who is actually hyped for W101.

It's like Pikmin but better

• LaiLai
    edited 2013-01-23 13:33:40
    I wants dat game. Superhero Pikmin? Hell yeah.

• SMT x Fire Emblem

Alright I will get a WiiU Nintendo.

• They're somethin' else.

^ ERMAGERD

• edited 2013-01-23 13:57:35
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

@Bee: I'll try to figure that out soon when I actually play Ys Origin.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2013-01-23 15:19:46

I'm not the only one who's excited for Monolith's effort, right? Because it looks like a significant improvement over Xenoblade in nearly every way.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-01-23 17:04:29

My God, that is gorgeous.

In other news, the most recent badged game on Kong is decent, but the reason I bring it up is that one of the top comments made me smile.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

http://aidanmoher.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/wind-waker-hd21.jpg

http://aidanmoher.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/wind-waker-hd41.jpg

• Well, THQ has been sold off. Here is what has been sold and to whom

• Sega agreed to purchase Relic(Dawn of War series,Space Marine, Company of Heroes)

• Koch Media agreed to purchase Volition(Saints row series) and Metro

• Crytek agreed to purchase Homefront

• Take 2 agreed purchase Evolve

• Ubisoft agreed to purchase Montreal and South Park

• Nobody for Virgil(Darksiders).

I'm sad that no one picked up Virgil but at least Volition, Metro and Relic are still with a  Steam friendly publisher.

Sega agreed to purchase Relic(Dawn of War series,Space Marine, Company of Heroes)

I am okay with this.

Koch Media

Never heard of them, what have they done?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I just hope they have nothing to do with the Koch brothers, David and Charles, who are completely douches when it comes to politics.

• ^^They own Deep Silver, according to Wikipedia.

Koch Media (owner of Dead Island publisher Deep Silver) has agreed to purchase Saints Row developer Volition as well as the publishing rights to the Metro franchise. (Update: According to a statement issued by Koch, "Deep Silver, Koch Media’s international publishing powerhouse, will lead all further development and marketing on the Saints Row and Metro franchises." The statement added that "Koch Media and Deep Silver will roll out future plans for each franchise in the coming months.")

Fuck.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-01-23 18:59:09

Unlocked Adol in the Ys Origin bonus stuff.  Except for the clone of Yunica's whirlwind, his specials are utterly fucking useless.  They're even weaker than the third character's, have less range, and cost more MP.

I mean I can understand not wanting to fall into Yunica's spam phoenixes on almost everything deal, but most of the higher-difficulty stuff can be accurately described with the phrase "horrible rape radius".

• I blocked deep silvers issues out of my mind until recently but I'm still going to hold out hope that they will not screw up the Saints Row and Metro. I'm not going to be surprised if they do.

...fuck.