If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in tokusatsu!

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Nice.

English dubbing

On Malaysian DVDs? That sounds... interesting.

I'll look into ordering right after I figure out if I trust Paypal or not.

• I've never had any problem with Paypal as long as I've used it (which hasn't been all that long, tbh). Well, if you do buy them, can you post about what you think of the video quality? I'm not too good a judge on that, especially since I mostly use a small netbook.

Also, I think I might have listened to the English track on their Cosmos vs. Justice DVD for like, 20 seconds, but I can't really remember what it sounded. I do remember somebody on the Toho Kingdom forum (Toho as in Godzilla, not Touhou as in ZUN) describing Speedy's English dubbing as "a combination of every bad European accent ever", or something like that.

Caved and ordered it yesterday because aside from the two Accel World games I haven't spent too much this year anyways.

I'll see, we have a pretty good TV so I'll check when it comes in.

"a combination of every bad European accent ever"

Badly dubbed AKB48 DiVA, my greatest desire :D

Sae~... desperately needs a bad Russian accent anyways.

• edited 2013-02-06 05:29:16
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Go-Busters gets better and better.

Aside from the A-plot with Ryuuji and Youko, an extremely compelling Escape B-plot begins in Episode 46 (Less compelling but still awesome, Jueki's kuwagata search). The entire episode was great, start to finish. Episode 47 gives us even better, with the Escape B-plot coming full circle and quietly destroying Enter inside out with anger and giving us much needed focus on Hiromu.

Not to mention Enter's eating his own father thing, which is done brilliantly.

I honestly didn't see that final twist coming until it happened, it was great.

Both episodes were also hilarious (aside from Jueki and his kuwagata, there was the Lioh head declaring Hiromu unable to move due to chicken overload and what exactly caused the overload)

Anyways, it's time for the final stretch already and I dearly salute you Go-Busters for being so awesome every single episode, I'll miss you when you're over.

You are bringing the parents back right cause if you didn't that'd just be sick.

• Well, if you're going to watch Saga, just know that this song means something. The video's a cover of Ultraman Dyna's first ending theme, performed by the guy who played Asuka/Dyna.

• edited 2013-02-09 11:59:52

Ultra Zero Fight - The three-minute format is kinda hurting this. Feels chopped up, and three minutes per week with something like this means slow story progress. Maybe the DVD releases, which will combine the mini-episodes would feel better. The anime-style streaky lines during action scenes are getting annoying. By now they're just gratuitous. But hey, Ultraman Belial is back, with the Armor of Darkness. There is no way that isn't cool.

Also, have another concert video. The song is the most recent opening of Retsuden. Feels like they were going for a "manly" vibe there. Not as manly as the first Ultraman Nexus opening, though.

• edited 2013-02-12 06:45:02

@FirstVideo: Nice

@SecondVideo: Awesome!

Go-Busters 48, a focus episode on Hiromu that manages to go through so many other things. It was quite the emotional episode, nobody acted like an idiot either which is always nice. Escape's final showing is also great, I'll definitely miss her.

Now, time for the finale!

• edited 2013-02-11 13:25:50

^ You're referring to the concert videos, right? My main problem with that second song is that having "Final Wars" as a title will most likely bring bad memories of a certain bombed kaiju film.

Also, Ultraman Retsuden 84 is up on YouTube, but seems that it's not available outside of Japan. Yet I can still access episode 83. I wanted to see evil telepathic kitty-eared spaceman Mephistopheles guy, dammit! And Ultraman actually laughs in this episode. (Well, technically Hayata is the one who laughs, but the scene was more like Ultraman talking through Hayata somehow)

You're referring to the concert videos, right?

Yeah.

• edited 2013-02-14 11:55:07

Ultra Zero Fight (II), episode 8: Armored Belial is frickin' badass, and at least more an efficient fighter than Arch Belial. Although he's not using his new power all that creatively. The power of Dyna and Cosmos Zero is using isn't nearly enough here, but I guess that's to be expected.

I'm kinda hoping that Shining Zero (or whatever) will be a some amalgam of Cosmos Future mode and Glitter Dyna. Dyna never used a Glitter form like Tiga did (outside of that one AU movie), but I assume such a thing is possible, at least.

Also, this is kind of amusing, if only because whatever scenario this seems to be presenting does not feel too outlandish for Decade.

• edited 2013-02-16 04:42:59

Next Ultraman Retsuden will be the first part of Ultraman Mebius and Ultraman Brothers. Now I wish Retsuden kept the end credits sequences, because Kiyoshi Hikawa did a pretty good end credits song.

Also, preview for Ultra Zero Fight. Zero gets possessed by Belial. I was hoping for something like that, but why can't these people avoid spoiling plot developments in advance? "Oh, that's not predictable enough. Better let people know about it in advance so there's never any surprise"

They're replacing AkibaBlue.

No.

Well, time to wait and see.

• edited 2013-02-23 00:25:11

Ultra Zero Fight (II), episode 9.

Spoiler:
    Looks like Kaiser Darknes/Armored Belial/whatever he wants to be called was just an empty suit. Seems that Belial is in a state similar to how Reiblood was. Not sure if the Darkness Five actually expected the whole Zero Darkness thing. Anyway, pretty cool that Belial is basically doing what Reiblood already did. That was his gimmick in Mega Monster Battle, anyway.

Also, seems that Ultraman Retsuden is now blocked outside of Japan. :<

another thing: I haven't seen Kyoryuger yet, but I hear that Red's name is Daigo Kiryu. Gives a bizarre mental image of Ultraman Tiga wearing Mechagodzilla parts.

• Naas_H_Sapiens: Which Ultraman thing should I watch? The last thing I saw was Ultraman Zero: The Revenge of Belial.

• edited 2013-02-23 10:30:30

@Kraken: Depends. Do you want serious, silly, or fanwank? If you just want to follow up on Revenge of Belial, there's Ultraman Saga. The only subs I've found so far are on the Malaysian DVD (which I already explained in my post up here).

Anyway,

silly: not really sure which shows or movies actually handled this well.

• Maybe Ultraman Dyna, but I have no idea if anybody saved the English subs from the California broadcast.

• There's also the Ultraman Zearth movies, although I have no idea if there are any English subs for this.

• Ultraman Nice: actually, just a bunch of short advertisements.

serious:

• Ultraman the Next. Probably the most accessible Ultraman media, in my opinion. The setting matches moreclosely with the real world than most other Ultraman media, so you really don't need any prior knowledge of Ultraman to watch. Not sure about any English subs except on the Japanese DVD (seriously).

• Ultraman Nexus. Best I can describe in short length is that it's the Tsuburaya version of Evangelion. Or Madoka Magica. Subtitled by TV-Nihon (actually one of their less weeaboo-ish subs, I think. "Henshin" was actually translated as "transform").

• Ultraman Tiga: the Final Odyssey. Pretty good, but you need to know a lot about Tiga to understand, and I'm not sure where to find English subs, besides maybe bootlegs.

• Ultraman Dyna's finale episodes. Better than some other endings, at least for me.

fanwank:

• Ultra Galaxy (especially the second season, Ultra Galaxy NEO). Basically a Mons genre thing using Ultra kaiju. The greenscreen might get annoying, though. I'm not sure where to get subs besides the Malaysian DVDs, and eBay prices for those are a little unreasonable. I checked the website for the fansub group that did the first season, and most of the download links were dead.

• Superior Ultraman 8 Brothers. Sort of the Ultraman equivalent to Akibaranger, except it uses AU versions of existing characters instead of new ones.

• Ultraman Mebius is supposed to be a really good anniversary series, and you won't really get lost without knowing a lot. I haven't actually seen a good number of episodes, though.

/enthusiastic

• Okay, thanks. I'll go check that out.

Garo 3 sure is a thing that is coming. It's not as exciting as a new Sentai or Rider, but it is... coming!

• It sure is.

I've been waiting for a really long time for that.

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters 49 & 50: The. Best. Ever.

Every single theme and plot point just came together into one beautiful continuous flow. It was emotional, the cinematography was brilliant and the freaking acting was brilliant. In toku!

And Jin... actually dies. What the... in modern toku?

Anyways. I love this show. I hope Kyoryuuger is even just half as good.

• Kyoryuger is silly. Like, super-freaking silly.

The dialogue is clumsy and everybody pretty much borders on monomaniacalism. But that's the charm.

Also, this thing.

sa

This works too.

Man KyoryuuBlue sure can dance.

• Garo 3 sure is a thing that is coming. It's not as exciting as a new Sentai or Rider, but it is... coming!

Why not? I mean, new Sentai and Rider are pretty much inevitable every year.

It's a combination of the inevitability and the new and exciting.

In fact the inevitability kind of keeps you excited all year long in a background-noise like way.

• edited 2013-02-27 11:14:42

Eh, I'm not the kind of person to really follow anything, current, so new doesn't really mean anything to me.

Possibly the most surprising new show recently was Neo Ultra Q, if only because its a non-super hero entry in a super hero franchise. (although there's precedent for that) Plus it's been forever since Tsuburaya did something that isn't in the spirit of "look kids, it's [monster from an older series]!". I still haven't watched it, partially since I'd just confuse myself due to lack of subs.

• edited 2013-03-01 06:50:41

In the category of things pertaining to characters I doubt anybody else hear has ever heard of (myself included), some Shotaro Ishinomori-related character, Sea Jetter Kaito is getting a movie. I recognize a few JAM Project names with the music, at least.

• edited 2013-03-04 06:27:35

Latest Ultra Zero Fight was pretty good. It actually had emotion there, wow. I can watch Ultrman Retsuden again now, too. Huh.

Also, the original Ultraman (1966) has been remastered in HD, and Blu-Ray boxes are coming. Not like I can afford them or anything...

oh gosh, triple post

:O

TRIPLE POSTER!

Anyways;

>Only 13,000 yen!

> What?

>BD Box 1

> Oh

• edited 2013-03-06 00:00:28
  • I like the little planets in his face-plate.

• ^^ Eh, still not as unattainable as Ultra-Act Zoffy. Even though that was a general release, the price it goes for on the aftermarket ranges from "doomsday of the wallet" to "you can't have one, neener neener".

I like the little planets in his face-plate.

He looks like he has space acne. Which is amusing. I wonder if any show used that as an episode's plot.