If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in tokusatsu!

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I'm pretty sure Lloyd in Space (Old Disney show) had an episode about that.

I hate having to resort to pre-owned things.

• edited 2013-03-06 04:46:50

I wasn't as able to spend as freely as I can now back when Zoffy was released, and there has never been a rerelease. Seems that the Showa-era Ultramen tend to sell out in a few hours after the preorder goes up. The interest Ultraman generate for action figures just seems really lopsided, considering that Heisei Ultramen don't sell out before they start shipping.

Mmmm, delicious Kenji Kawai music. The track at the first part of the video is just glorious. I dare you to find me a better battle theme. Stuff like a few songs Madoka Magica soundtrack aren't as good for me, since they're too close to being distracting. (note: figure does not come with most of those effect parts. And I think the orange beam sometime after 2:30 is actually Nexus' blue beam photoshopped into orange.)

• edited 2013-03-06 03:50:39
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Yeah, my ROBOTS SPIRITS -SIDE LFO- Nirvash typeZERO spec2 is pre-owned (Somehow I managed to get new versions of all the other stuff despite E7 being a popular mecha show from before I could save money too) and it even came with the cool Limited Release stuff in the original box (but not the packaging). It just worries me because you never know what you're getting.

Hours? Someone must really like Ultraman.

Also when did I miss the preorders for CycloneJoker rerelease!

I dare you to find me a better battle theme.

Let me introduce you

To Nakamura Koji (and LAMA)

Though I guess I'm probably the only person who likes LAMA's style :P

• edited 2013-03-09 12:45:52

Honestly, now I'm not sure what the hell I was trying to say with that thing about soundtracks.

Hours? Someone must really like Ultraman.

There's also the fact that distributors outside Japan can't get merchandise of Showa Ultraman characters, supposedly due to a certain never-ending court battle. I'm not sure why this is, though considering that (at least as far as I can tell), even the courts that did not acknowledge Chaiyo's contract as a fraud, they at least acknowledge that said contract only gives Chaiyo rights to distribute certain Showa era TV shows and movies, not everything that involves Showa Ultramen or merchandise thereof.

Anyway, Ultra Zero Fight suddenly became genuinely good. I'm honestly surprised something starring Ultraman Zero successfully pulls off genuine drama like this. And the aliens here actually have names beyond that of their species or home planet, apparently, which is a little surprising too.

Also, I hear that Super Hero Time ratings are still really bad. Wonder if this means they'll move timeslots or something. I know broadcast time itself has not effect unless you're actually watching on TV, but timeslots are supposedly greatly related to which demographic the shows aim at.

Also, I hear that Super Hero Time ratings are still really bad.

This really sucks, but running yourself versus Pokemon Sundays and (I think) One Piece... yeah, I'm not too surprised

• ^ Yeah, that does sound like a terrible setup. I imagine they'll move the timeslots at some point.

Anyway, Ultra Zero Fight has suddenly become the most bleak thing I've ever seen in Ultraman. Based on how Tsuburaya do stuff, I assume they'll have to pull a huuuuge miracle to turn the story around. Nice touch how there's an evil version of Zero's battle music from Revenge of Belial, though.

• edited 2013-03-20 12:54:06

Ultra Zero Fight (II) - episode 13.

Spoiler:
    Looks like Shining Zero doesn't really exist. It's more like a mental thing. Also, nice symbolism with the weather stuff, and Mamoru Miyano singing there.

• triple posting because... possible new Ultraman show...?

Also, I hear there's gonna be another Garo special with Maka Priestess Jabi. I still haven't watched Makai Senki yet.

I still haven't watched Makai Senki yet.

you should go do that right now, i command you

possible new Ultraman show...?

That would be the best thing. Well, second best thing.

• edited 2013-03-29 03:20:14

Can't right now. Internet connection not very good. Will have to wait like, more than a week until I can download.

It would be the very best thing if it's a total reboot like Tiga, and uses Cthulhu Mythos stuff like how Tiga had a Great Old One as the final villain. Although I doubt any theme song they can come up with could possibly ever top Tiga's opening. Seriously, that is insanely catchy.

Also, Ultra Zero Fight episode 14. Ultimate forms come along too conveniently in this franchise, but Shining Zero is just ridiculous.

Spoiler:
    He literally pulls it from out of nowhere. And it has a Time Vent?

I think episode 15 has aired in Japan already, but Tsuburaya's YouTube channel doesn't have it yet.

Can't right now. Internet connection not very good. Will have to wait like, more than a week until I can download.

Same boat, and in the last week of Winter too <_<, I was planning on finishing AKB0048 Next Stage by at least Tuesday but that is no longer likely.

Seriously, that is insanely catchy.

It is.

• edited 2013-03-29 21:49:52

^ From what I can tell, it was actually composed by some Eurobeat guy. There's an English version that sounds a little awkward, but not nearly "we drink ritalin" awkward. The basic tune to that song vaguely sounds like the chorus of Every Time we Touch to me.

Also, Urutoraman Ginga?

Will he play soccer?

Can't wait for the official announcement on that!

• edited 2013-04-01 15:36:02

>soccer

Uh... what are you referencing? Only "Ginga" that comes to mind in this context are the Gingaman team and Rei Suzumura's former name.

• Ginga e Kickoff!!, presumably.

^

• The once unattainable Ultra-Act Zoffy has went up on preorder on HLJ... and already sold out. Gotta look out for more of these now. This is possibly the most intense day for my figure collecting hobby...

The girl who wants to be an idol is called Luna.

Anyways yaay the amazing Sentai comedy is back.

• edited 2013-04-05 16:08:44

Ultra Zero Fight, final(?) episode.

That was a weird (non-)ending.

Also, missed out on Ultra-Act Zoffy. TT_TT

• Seems that Garo season 3 has already started, and the protag is named Ryuga. Might not even need to watch Makai Senki for this.

• edited 2013-04-12 05:33:51

Hey Naas Hey Naas Hey Naas Hey Naas

Anyways, finally got around to watching episode 1 of Kyoryuuger and it was really awesome. I like how much screentime Gabutyra got and the batteries and samba actually work well with the rest of the show. The cast is pretty cool (Blue is great!) and I can't wait to watch more. Which is much more than I can say for Wizard.

• Vaguely looks like a fanart I've seen...

and the premise is literally Gokaiger? I'm confused. I thought Tsuburaya knew better than using all Ultramen for a crossover. Then again, since it's apparently set in modern-day Japan, maybe this will still work with all previous continuity.

I think it could work, but it'd have to be continuity light cause a) the premise sounds like it wouldn't work if all the Ultra's actually went around spouting their backstories to the MC (So in this case it would be very much like Gokaiger I guess) and b) spending a lot of your time on backstories will alienate new viewers anyways.

In that case, I wouldn't see any reason for it not to work with previous continuity as long as it doesn't obsess over it.

• edited 2013-04-12 07:07:41

I'm mostly hoping they don't present every Ultraman as all being native to one universe. They managed to mostly avoid that with the movies. Superior Ultraman 8 Brothers used AU versions of everyone besides Mebius. Mega Monster Battle was only main universe guys, except Dyna, but that actually follows up from the Dyna finale. Okay, that movie also had some other non-main universe guys appearing, but those were just suit-recylcing that isn't commented upon, or with Musashi, just some guy who looks exactly like somebody we know, but definitely isn't him, since Ultraman Saga has the actual Musashi with his original history and backstory intact, and no history of working with ZAP Spacy like MMB suggested.

Also, if anything even vaguely resembling 40+ years of Ultra adventures has happened in that universe, it would have to be very, very different from "present-time" Japan.Maybe the setting will be like 8 Brothers + Nexus/Next somehow.

Really, I'm only worried since Tsuburaya have been more or less pretty straightforward with who lives in which universe. Ultraman Saga was pretty dependant on that. They don't have to do much with previous continuity, besides keep "who comes from where" consistent, and I'll be pretty happy with that aspect. Would be jarring if they suddenly didn't since Ultraman Saga was literally dependant on the multiverse concept to make the story work.

Anyway, the HJU report says that episodes 1-6 will be "Summer Break", and 7-11 will be "New Year's". Does this mean there won't be any episodes in the fall?

• edited 2013-04-12 09:01:27

Probably.

In fact, with that set up it seems like a trial run before they start pumping out a yearly Ultra series. Gauging interest and stuff.

• (use captions for a translation)

Ultraman Ginga will be brought to you by a new and fresh cast. Full of hopes and dreams, I hope you'll enjoy it

Sounds promising.

Darn it copyright!

• edited 2013-04-13 10:47:12

So we've got a new GARO series with a new look, a new setting, and a new protagonist.

It seems to be going for a more New Old Western vibe. Where the old series had at least some superficial relationship to "our world", 'Shines in the Darkness' takes place twenty minutes in the future, where Japanese independent city-states have sprung up and where private police wear skull-masks and brown jumpsuits.

If I didn't know better, I'd say that the series is borrowing even more from Devil May Cry, with the Horrors directly ingratiating themselves into society instead of killing and destroying in the night. Not to mention its black-and-red clad devil-may-cry protagonist Ryuga, whom they're obviously trying to bill with the use of musical motifs as the mysterious stranger gunslinger New Hotness. But he's quite a bit more complicated than he seems, which is another point in its favor.

I think the most interesting thing is probably the forthcoming conflict between Ryuga and the already-established Makai presence, consisting of the aged Priest Biurai and the Knights Takeru (Junka Ikeda of GokaiSilver fame makes a surprise appearance) and Agurai, experienced lawmen wary of the young gun who just strode into town.

• ^^ Stuff that I can recall from the conference:

• The main cast are mostly, if not all inexperienced actors

• One guy says he used to play with Ultraman toys in the bath

• Some joke about one actress making the weather rainy

• The story has something important happen at a Shinto(?) shrine

• Protagonist finds Ultraman Taro in doll form. I'm guessing Taro is the first other Ultra he meets

• edited 2013-04-14 05:39:21

Yay now I don't have to watch RDG for Shinto shrines this year!