If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in tokusatsu!

edited 2013-07-09 19:00:54 in Media

To jump on a BANWAGAN, it is here that I shall liveblog the weekly live-action Japanese superhero shows that come out as they come out.

I suppose this was a bad time to jump on this particular BANWAGAN, as all the current superhero tokusatsu shows broadcast right now are being produced under a single company, but what's done is done, I suppose. 

Also, SPOILERS. Lots and lots of them.

So without further ado, here's this week's Super Hero Time!

Kamen Rider Fourze #32: Aaaaand now we have the fallout from our obligatory Rider-versus-Rider battle, as well as Ryusei's betrayal.

Also, it feels a bit strange that the show chooses to play up the characters' extremely emotional reactions of Gentaro's death, when Gentaro's death-scene in the previous episode was played so quiet and low-key with little music and periods of silence. That said, it was good to see JK be the first to reject the tyranny of Aries, and he does so without us feeling that he just turned do-gooder.

Personally, I feel that this episode was paced just a little too quickly. I mean sure, I personally think that every scene in this episode is necessary, but with everyone being emotional, we don't need for the mood music to be so overt and obvious.

As to the new "toy", I have to say that I was rather apprehensive about Cosmic States, but after seeing it in action, I loved it immediately. It's Saturn V Rocket sword, it's ability to combine the abilities of different Switches, it's iPad-like interface, and even it's sword-slash blast attack all won awesome points. But it's the auto-tuned choir that sings with the activation of each Circle Switch that pushed me to squeeing aloud. On the flipside, Aries' Supernova was rather underwhelming, being nothing more than his horns elongating and his cape disappearing.

The next arc promises to be entertaining, as the Kamen Rider Club goes on a school trip to Kyoto, but Kengo's father's legacy rears its enigmatic head again as a new Horrorscope attacks.

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters #9: In this episode, Usada Lettuce gets in a fight with Yoko, is kidnapped by bumbling criminals demanding great amounts of Enetron, with Enter seeking to hijack the ransom for himself whilst Yoko displays guile by planning his rescue.

It especially highlights how lacking in resources Enter is, and it's good to see both the villain and the heroes struggle against each other. Yoko - while being dumber as a sack of hammers - shows surprising cunning in the use of double-deceptions and misdirection in her scheme.

This episode's purpose was to develop the bond between Yoko and Usada, and it does that fine. Additionally, this is the first time the monster of the week was a remnant of a past adventure instead of a brand new threat. As a minor nit-pick, why do the Morph Bracers have scanning capabilities? Isn't that what the camera is for?

For our next episode, we are promised the confrontation between Hiromu and Rika.

Unofficial Sentai Akiba-Ranger #3: Okay, this show is goddamned stupid. But it alternates between an infuriating form of stupidity and a glorious, hilarious stupidity.

This outing involves Akagi getting drunk and fantasizing over his co-worker (again), fighting a Guerrilla Marketer, and turning out to be exceptionally good at the Grand Delusion by summoning BoukenRed Good Luck Form from his inebriated consciousness. Hakasei chalks his newfound strength to Akagi being drunk, and has everyone (except Aoyagi), get absolutely hammered and reminisce about Boukenger. But is the demon-drink a blessing or a curse to the Grand Delusion? Yeah, it's a curse, as their imaginations go absolutely wild, with Akagi fantasizing endlessly about saving his would-be beau, Moegi fantasizing yaoi subtext in everything, and Hakase passing out.

The characters are stupid as usual, and having the same heroic dream/Boy's Love S&M fantasy scheme happen from a stupid once, to a funny twice, and just a gratuitous third.

Also, I feel that I must mention that I feel this is doing the crossover premise better than its predecessor, Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger. While the Gokaiger team simply could not leave the shadow of the heroes who came before them and constantly had to prove themselves to said heroes, the Akiba-Rangers exist outside of the Super Sentai shadow, and being shameless otaku, do not need to prove themselves at all.

Next week: Akiba-Blue betrays the team!...but then another Blue appears also. The Christ.

Comments

• What, no Ultraman Biographies? Granted, I can't find anyone subbing that...

• Whatever's been released this week, I'll probably watch and document. 

That said, if anyone would like to share new shows for me to watch, I'll gladly think it over.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I have to admit I'm really not very keen on Go-busters. I think the big reason is the cast just isn't as compelling as Gokaiger's.

• ^^ Well, Ultraman Biographies isn't exactly new, just a guide to the Ultra Series history. But it''s the only "current" Ultra show that's airs every week. No-one really subbing it, though.

• Although the Gokaigers were really fun characters, I personally felt that the show was far too mired in Super Sentai history to let them shine at all. Additionally, they were already a team and a family, and that eliminates a lot of team-building and learning to live with each other that most Sentai have.

The Go-Busters, on the other hand, don't have to stand in anyone's shadow. Additionally, being wildly different people who have unresolved resentment and issues with each other, which gives them even more obstacles to develop past.

• edited 2012-05-15 19:08:42

And now for another installment of this week's Super Hero Time!

Kamen Rider Fourze #33: The Kamen Rider Club goes on their school trip to Kyoto! But is this just a regular school trip or a part of Gamou's some nefarious schemes with the introduction of the newest enforcer, Leo? Meanwhile, an overbearing young woman joins the Club to get close-close to Gentaro! Will her advances be reciprocated? 

It's kind of lame that Foundation X got brushed away so quickly. They've been billed in two shows running as a mysterious, powerful secret society with fingers in many pies. That said, the homoerotic tones between Gentaro and Ryusei are kinda overt in Ryusei trying to chase off Yukina.

I love how they actually poked fun at the Dustards looking like ninja and the impracticality of long katana in low-roofed buildings.  Also, are they foreshadowing the Fourze Switch logos as some kind of ancient symbolic sigil? Connected to the Four Gods? Seems a bit Kuuga-ish, and I have mixed feelings about that.

This week's episode is fun, with a new character throwing herself at Gentaro for reasons I'm sure the next episode will explain, Kyoto, and a brand-new villain.  Next episode: Protecting four altars! Libra on his last pieces of favor with the Chairman tries to mess with the altars! Gamou admits to murder! And the Sky-Hole Counter Offensive!

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters #10: Whilst the team are diverted, facing off against a zerg-rush of Bugglars, Enter hijacks a truck full of a rare metal to build his new Megazord, converting multiple humans into Meta-zombies to guard said metal. But with Rika in town trying to re-connect with her brother, Hiromu ignoring his sister, and Cheeda Nick trying to get the siblings reconciled, can they also face the GunRoid and emerge victorious?

To the episode itself, I have mixed feelings about the fact that the team finally got a proper whole-team stock-footage transformation sequence. But the action this week is superb, with a really exciting and inventive super-speed fight.

Rika is portrayed an unreasonable, selfish bitch with good intentions but bad methods. He saves lives, woman. But in the end, she comes to her senses, so that's that.

Again, yet another fantastic episode of Go-Busters. Next episode: Gorisaki-themed badges! Buddyroid shenanigans! Wind-powered Metaroids! And Targeting the Weak Points! 

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I never like the Gokaiger, they were too... awesome. I really like the Busters though.

I don't think I've ever liked a Kamen Rider series as much as I like Fourze (I liked Decade and OOO, but not enough to geek all over them).

• I'm a damn twisted person

See for me it's the reverse. W and OOO are a lot more solid than Fourze. Not to say Fourze isn't a lot of fun, it is, but it isn't as strong as the previous two shows. And god damn is Meteor Storm's limit break attack lame. 

I think the thing for Fourze is its comedy is a lot more solid. I think the highs of W are higher, but the lows are nowhere near as low.

I like Fourze because of it's characters, but overarching plot is definitely it's main weak point.

^^ Some of us like blatantly toyetic Limit breaks :P

• Beyblades on a fighting staff misses the point of a fighting staff.

It's a fighting staff with a sonic Beyblade finishing move!

• edited 2012-05-02 19:09:56
    The latter ruins the former.

Can't you see that?
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The Beyblade kind of ruins what coolness Meteor had- which wasn't much, especially with that colour scheme.

I mean, come on, even Trial's Finisher was cooler than this, and it was just kicking people lots.

I kind of wish they had emphasized Meteor's Jeet Kune Do as his superpower, but then again toy-based series...

^^ and ^ Sonic Beyblades are cool!

Either that or I suck at whatever cool is.

• edited 2012-05-03 08:14:54

And here's the last part of this week's tokusatsu!

Unofficial Sentai Akiba-Ranger #3: Whilst Aoyagi goes off to a martial arts training camp, Akagi and Moegi are tasked with staying out of trouble for just three days. Can they handle resisting the Grand Delusion for that period of time? NOPE.

It's actually kind of painful to see Akagi think of his romantic life as a dating sim. Also, there is a great deal of cosplay references. This week's Guerrilla Marketer is apparently a Buddhist priest who has the ability to remove the lusts and impurities from people. Which...although interesting, is just strange and doesn't really fit the MO of the villains. 

Next episode: Parents who are bigger otaku than you! The return of a homoerotic sexual predator! And O, the Pain of a Yellow Mama!

• edited 2012-05-03 09:30:54
    There is love everywhere, I already know

I've only seen the first episode of Akiba-Ranger, I should get back to it because I liked it and I'm pretty sure the ending of the episode made no sense.

I was re-watching Fourze 32 and I think the Glee writers should be taking notes on how to write proper homosexual relationships.

I've heard Fourze was inspired by Glee which just goes to show everything can be improved with dirt bikes and karate fights.

• edited 2012-05-03 10:24:27

And writers who know what they're doing!

...90% of the time!

• edited 2012-05-15 19:07:58

Kamen Rider Fourze #34: With the Kamen Rider Club on the trail of the last two Station Altars, Gamou himself arrives in Kyoto, seeking to both oversee the Horrorscopes' mission as well as honor Kengo's father. With Yukina continuing to make herself a nuisance, can the Kamen Rider Club stop the Hole over Kyoto from collapsing? 

This episode was pretty average. The scenes with Yukina didn't really go anywhere, and Yukina herself didn't really go anywhere. Suit-acting was top-notch as usual, and it's good to see Ryusei continue to open up. And fuck yeah, Brush Switch's return and Daimonji slash. 

Next episode: A new rock star and a monster appear, coming from our studio, live-on the air!

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters #11: Distracted by the constant alerts of Gorisaki's temperature-monitoring badge, Ryuji clashes against his overprotective robotic animal guardian, whilst Enter schemes against the Blue Buster. With the emergence of the unnervingly-swift Fanroid, can the Go-Busters overcome Enter's schemes? 

Gorisaki seems to have very limited self-confidence. But I understand feeling weird when seeing your friends clash with their wards whilst you just smile and get along. Also, I finally understand what purpose their posing followed by their shout of "Busters, ready, go!" serves: it's to synchronize their maneuvers. It's good to see Enter finally attacking the Go-Busters as individuals. But then, I'm honestly curious why CB-01 doesn't have any guns or otherwise ranged weaponry. 

Next episode: I hope you like disguieses, because Yoko meets her actress doppelganger!

• edited 2012-05-15 20:19:01

Kamen Rider Fourze #35: Newly back from their trip fro Kyoto, the Kamen Rider Club discovers that their efforts to stop Cosmic Energy from flooding AGHS were for naught, and the newest Horroscope is due to ascend very soon. Meanwhile, the DJ of a hot new internet radio show, Gene's Milky Night Carnival, is called out by a mysterious man who plays a guitar badly, whilst JK is met by an old friend with a Switch. With Fourze on his tail at all times, can the Capricorn Zodiarts just rock out in peace? 

Instead of JK's lies and half-truths catching up on him, it's a part of his past when he actually was honest (which is neat) and it's good to see him finally emerge from his armor and tell the truth. Having to choose between old friends and new friends is likewise compelling. Additionally, the Capricorn Zodiarts is really cool, if lacking in characterization. The garage rock cover of 'My Name Is Hayabusa" is so very glorious. Although I do wonder why JK needs a Zodiarts to make him sound good when there's Autotune. 

Next episode: JK quits the Kamen Rider Club and debuts as a rock star, Gentaro goes fishing, and the world goes wile in our last performance together.

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters #12: A debutante actress from Hong Kong - Angie Sue - arrives in Japan for a press-conference wearing rare and useful crystal earrings, attracting the attention of both the Energy Management Center and Enter. But surprise-surprise, Angie has a striking resemblance to Yoko. With the Go-Busters handling covert security, Enter animates a projector into the impersonator Copyroid. With its ability to disguise itself from Go-Buster technology and the Megazord scheduled to crash the press conference, can Yoko keep it together long enough to stop Enter from getting his hands on Buster Machine parts whilst contemplating the parts of her life that doesn't involve fighting?

I like that they called attention to the fact that our heroes are not normal and thus long to be. That said, I sometimes wonder about their priorities. Why does Yoko - instead of pursuing Enter and retrieving the crystals - choose instead to take down the comparatively-weak Copyroid? Surely one operative is enough. And finally, it's just grand to see the return of the dance-along ending theme song. 

Next mission: Going to a zoo, Enter in a panda suit, lions and tigers and bears (oh my!) on a surprising day-off!

By the way, I'm going to stop doing Akiba-Rangers because I no longer know what to say about it. 

The Rock-Hayabusa song is awesome. They need to release a full version.

As for JK doesn't use autotune, I could very easily see him feeling that then it wouldn't be him they're loving, not his truth. From everything we've seen as much he wants the rockstar success he also wants to wow people with music from his soul.

• And cosmic magic isn't cheating?

• edited 2012-05-15 23:46:34
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I never said it was logical.

>By the way, I'm going to stop doing Akiba-Rangers because I no longer know what to say about it. 

It's that weird?

• It's not weird

It's just...after they did a total one-eighty handling a death of a parent, then I got so very confused and didn't know what to say about it.

• edited 2012-05-16 05:13:54

^^^ If it does it'll probably come out with the Kamen Rider Fourze Music States album (25th July)

^^ The parents who are bigger Otaku than you one? It ends with everybody realizing that Yumeria's mom was never there and has been dead for four years. This is after Yumeria's dead mom uses her Z-Cune Aoi doll and becomes Akiba-Yellow and does an amazing job at it. So I understand why it's kind of hard to talk about.

Maybe if I ever get around to Akibarangers I'll try.

• Spoilers, Fourteen.

Fixed.