If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in tokusatsu!

Comments

• There's something seriously wrong with you.

Philips Combine harvester.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Okay, I am lost.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

None of them are GACKT.

That's cause GACKT is terrible.

• even then, None of them are GACKT.

But then even the best themes don't make up for a terrible series. so we can just ignore that one.

• edited 2012-12-24 02:39:14
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

That's cause GACKT is terrible.

Yeah right no.

But then even the best themes don't make up for a terrible series. so we can just ignore that one.

The quality of the show wasn't even close to be the topic there though. Although I guess that's what you intended.

I haven't seen Decade yet, but it's even worse than Hibiki right?

^ You have heard his music right?

• edited 2012-12-24 02:42:41

Illustrate me how is his music an affront to the senses. What I've heard of I've liked.

• edited 2012-12-24 02:48:12
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Well, I'm exaggerating mostly, but I don't like his style of music and Visual Kei in general. But his recent stuff (Hakuro and White Love) is a little more grating than the Decade theme, which is kinda fun.

The Decade theme is Journey Through the Decade right?

That explains it. I do like Visual Kei a lot. Still, I was just being an ass, I do find I like Wizard's theme more than Fourze, now that I actually like Wizard's theme.

• @fourteenwings Decade barely even counts as a show. Okay, Tsukasa travelling through Tsubasa Chronicle-esque* alternate universes and helping out people isn't too bad. While the show seemed like it was supposed to have some over-arching plot, which was a bit of a mess.

Honestly, my hate for the show isn't as high as what I see on Henshin Justice, but as far as "overpowered guy travels across the multiverse in celebration of franchise history" things go, Ultraman Zero easily wins out. That, and Narutaki is the lamest villain ever. Igadevil's podcast sums it up somewhat: Decade is something enjoyable for the ride, but there's not much of a destination.

• edited 2012-12-24 02:59:00

Decade is something enjoyable for the ride, but there's not much of a destination.

Wasn't that the same problem Tsubasa Chronicles had? My memory about the manga is fuzzy, except the part where the show's title has the lamest punchline ever in manga history.

So it's enjoyable (Much like Hibiki, which I still need to finish >_>) but not good.

my hate for the show isn't as high as what I see on Henshin Justice

HJU can get a bit... intense.

• Philips Combine harvester.

• edited 2012-12-24 03:32:49

Wasn't that the same problem Tsubasa Chronicles had? My memory about the manga is fuzzy, except the part where the show's title has the lamest punchline ever in manga history.

I'm not really sure. Tsubasa Chronicle was just the best comparison I can come up with, in terms of how alternate universes are used. (forgot to add a note for that asterisk) I'm not really that familiar with it.

So it's enjoyable (Much like Hibiki, which I still need to finish >_>) but not good.

That's probably the best way to put it, although I haven't seen Hibiki.

By the way, how come Toei's crossovers tend to present  the various characters as if they all exist together in one universe, even though the actual shows don't really support that? The more recent Ultraman stuff manages to do inter-generation crossovers without making continuity confusion. Although that could be due to Tsuburaya never attempting an "All Ultras" movie, and they've had precedent for crossing universes ever since Battles in Hyperspace back in 1999.

The ending of Tsubasa Chronicles finishes with the reveal that the alternate reality main characters, Lee Xiaolang and The Princess Sakura of the Clow Kingdom were actually using pseudonyms. And both had the name Tsubasa. The ending itself was a real clusterfuck that didn't explain shit and just was really confusing and kinda creepy.

how come Toei's crossovers tend to present  the various characters as if they all exist together in one universe

They're hoping little kids don't notice?

I'm annoyed with the upcoming Gokaiger (Present time space pirates) VS Go-Busters (Future where Enetron is basically what they talk about all day) for the same reason.

I don't really know why, but I think all the conflicting universe origin stories should really come up since we have Go-Busters, Dekaranger and Timeranger all happening in very different futures.

• ^ On the Rider side, Blade and Agito have different origins for mankind. Also, I hear that Abaranger and Zyuranger have conflicting histories for dinosaurs, but maybe that's less important.

Abaranger and Zyuranger are incompatible, since Abaranger has an alternate universe of dinosaurs while Zyuranger has dinosaurs who evolve into humans.

Reminds me, still haven't seen 25-40 of Zyuranger...

• Decade does things by explaining it all through alternate realities.

• ^ Yeah, but that aspect gets ignored by later crossovers.

• Not really. I mean, aside from the mass rubber suit punch-ups (which are all stupid anyway), only the post-Decade shows were shown to be in the same universe.

• edited 2012-12-25 02:19:43

Um, no, that's been applied to even earlier stuff. Remember that Let's Go Kamen Rider showed that the Cous Coussier from OOO is actualy the same building as Snack Amigo from the very first KR episode? And the utter lack of alternate universe stuff being thrown around? I think Megamax also had no universe-hopping, althoug I haven't seen that.

And yes, I'm specifically referring to the mass rubber suit punch-ups (i.e Let's Go KR), and how their crossing over implies a common universe in a way that isn't supported by the shows themselves. Actually, even OOO being in the same universe as W is... dubious. OOO's episodes didn't have anything tying it back to the Foundation X stuff from the end of W, and Movie War Core just doesn't work for OOO continuity.

• Think of it like this.

We first have the original Kamen Rider series lasting until Kamen Rider Black RX, which takes place in the same universe, and after that Foundation X started poking around whatever remained of Shocker, Badan, Crisis Empire, and so forth, which caused the current generation of W, OOO, and Fourze (as well as possibly Wizard).

Then we had KuugaAgito, Ryuuki, etcetera, all taking place in their own, self-contained worlds and narratives.

Then we had Decade, which had the titular character meeting alternate versions of all of the above, as well as all the Super Sentai.

So really, we have about three different meta-continuities. 

• edited 2012-12-25 16:43:25
    I'm a damn twisted person
    That and the Kamen Riders are all super heroes. Therefore we can assume a certain amount of fuzziness to the timeline and continuity and just not think too hard about it.
  • edited 2012-12-26 06:35:13

Eh, thing is, making a clear picture of who lives in which universe is pretty damn easy. Ultra Series continuity is pretty straightforward. Everything from Ultra Q through Ultraman 80 are in the same universe, except the animated stuff and the no-budget Ultra Fight. Tiga and Dyna are in a single continuous universe, then every series from Gaia up until Max are each their own continuity, and Mebius onward revisit the original continuity. The direct-to-video Ultraseven spinoffs of the 1990s are a more complicated case, but their place (or lack of it) in continuity  is pretty clear-cut.

We first have the original Kamen Rider series lasting until Kamen Rider Black RX, which takes place in the same universe,

From what I can tell, Black didn't have ties to the older KR, but RX did.

It's not that I find continuity issues that big a deal, I just can't see why this stuff can't be made clearer, and that crossovers need to contradict what's already been established as separate universes. Ultraman has problems with exact dates and stuff, but its pretty clear who comes from which universe.

• They don't care about continuity. We do.

Also, fucking fuck fuck fuck fuck Christmas Wizard ring. Fuck it. Fuck it to the depths of hell.

What's wrong with a christmas miracle?

• Has anyone here seen the Christmas episode of the original KR? Apparently the fansub group doing it skipped ahead to get the Christmas ep out in time, so there's a little gap in their releases.

• It's not a Christmas miracle.

It's a Christmas act of God, fresh outta the ass.

• edited 2012-12-26 23:16:05
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Has anyone here seen the Christmas episode of the original KR?

No, because I can never find the group subbing anything before Black.

The Ultras seriously needs to come back to TV now. I'm pretty sure the movies were successful enough to show there was still interest in the show... Saga even had a DiVA AKB48 people in it!