If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

All the NSFW stuff coming off of TVT currently

Comments

• edited 2012-04-21 19:21:13

Maybe the likes of Chagen and Tnu have made my cynical, but I'd say his admission to see a therapist was less "I have a serious problem, I need to get help" and more "if I say I'll go to a therapist, will you guys please stop bringing up my kiddy-diddling fantasies?"

I'm reminded of the 19 pages in Tnu's BTL thread where we constantly went back and forth, with him saying he would go to therapy, us encouraging him, him saying he wouldn't go to therapy, us urging him to, so and and so forth.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Just so you know, I still call you "lil' Gypsie". Heh heh heh. :)

That's fine.

I agree with that in concept, it's just that I also think that by attempting to influence Draven, some person chose responsibility.

Similarly, for what it's worth, I was just trying to get the guy to go away.

• edited 2012-04-21 19:21:26
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ You might be right, Orcus, but some good might have come of it all the same. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Perhaps not necessary, but it certainly was correct.   

It may have been correct, but that certainly didn't mean that I needed to post it, especially as it could have negated any good that had been done before that.

• edited 2012-04-21 19:23:16
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

@Orcus: It was pretty obviously the latter. That's why I asserted that I wanted him gone rather than wanting to help him in anyway.

• You can change. You can.

It bothers me that people treat this guy as another Tnu/Chagen. I get where you're coming from and all, but if we're gonna treat every person with a problem the same way we treat asshats even though we have no actual proof they're asshats, well, to be honest, that's quite reprehensible.

• Those were my thoughts exactly, Orcus. That whole affair really jaded me.

• edited 2012-04-21 19:28:06
    Diet NEET

He stated he wouldn't go into therapy until he moved out, which he estimated would be years from now. I agree with most of your post(Alex's), but disagree with the premise that a message board is effective for that gig: such a sustained nurturing can only come from people in one's vicinity. The sort of delusional view of himself he displayed where in line with LoveHappiness, tnu and all those types that essentially needed to get out more and experience socialization in the real world instead of harping on about themselves on the interwebs.

• edited 2012-04-21 19:26:47

To be frank, at this point I could give two-shits about trying to fix people over the Internet.

Unless he became really close to us, which would become pretty much impossible once he admitted he was a pedophile, I doubt we could do anything. It's something he and his loved ones have to deal with, not us.

We could try to be all nice and supportive, but unless one of us trains to become a master of psycho-analysis, I doubt we could have helped much. Banning him just saved us the runaround.

^ So pretty much that.

It bothers me that people treat this guy as another Tnu/Chagen. I get where you're coming from and all, but if we're gonna treat every person with a problem the same way we treat asshats even though we have no actual proof they're asshats, well, to be honest, that's quite reprehensible.

I would have made a post, but Insanity Addict summed it up better.

I don't think we should have saved him or whatever, but there is such a thing as a middle ground between fucking bullying the guy and "saved" him. 

• edited 2012-04-21 19:51:37
    Back in Black

"It may have been correct, but that certainly didn't mean that I needed to post it, especially as it could have negated any good that had been done before that."

Fair enough.

Also, since I haven't quite finished reading this whole thread yet, I have to ask:  did anyone have the presence of mind to ask how old this guy is...? 

Cause, you know, there's always those idiots who're 17-18 and think they're pedophiles for still thinking 13-14 year olds are vaguely attractive, which is a substantial difference from, say, a college-aged person finding 10 year olds to be hot...

I don't think we should have saved him or whatever, but there is such a thing as a middle ground between fucking bullying the guy and "saved" him. 

Okay, let me just ask;

How many people would have been disenchanted by this site if we had actually let a self-admitted pedophile remain?

Also, since I haven't quite finished reading this whole thread yet, I have to ask:  did anyone have the presence of mind to ask how old this guy is...? 

He posted on TVTropes, he's obviously a teenager!

• edited 2012-04-21 19:32:20
    You can change. You can.

I never said "Do not ban him"

ETA: Well, I did, but not that in that post.

• edited 2012-04-21 19:33:16

@Flyboy: He said he liked KNJ in his very first post. Take from what what you will.

• I don't think we should have saved him or whatever, but there is such a thing as a middle ground between fucking bullying the guy and "saved" him. 

He should have realized he would be "bullied" once he said he was a kiddy-diddler. Not realizing that is just another reason he deserved to be banned, and another thing for him to smooth out in his personal life.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I googled his name. He's 16, according to his DeviantArt profile.

Anyway, I'll have to agree with the people who say that the collective response was justified. I'd elaborate, but would prefer to keep away from drama at this moment.

You did, and it was a fair while before the entire thread degenerated, too.

• edited 2012-04-21 19:34:49

Pretty much this. We might not have been able to save him, but erring in that direction would have been one hell of a lot better than bullying. The thing is, we might have had a chance at being influential. It might have been tiny, but that's infinitely better than the non-outcome of what ended up happening.

He should have realized he would be "bullied" once he said he was a kiddy-diddler. Not realizing that is just another reason he deserved to be banned, and another thing for him to smooth out in his personal life.

Here's the thing:

Perhaps we ought not to be bullies. 

• edited 2012-04-21 19:38:54
    Back in Black

"He posted on TVTropes, he's obviously a teenager!"

Except there are quite a few adult posters on TvTropes, as well...

Seeing as, he never even explained what "little girls" means, or what his actual age is in relation to them.  As I said, there's a big difference between, say, a 14 year old and a 6 year old, and a 16-18 year old thinking this or a 25+ year old thinking this. 

Though he's already banned, so I guess it's irrelevant. 

Edit: 

"He said he liked KNJ in his very first post. Take from what what you will."

Point taken.  :/

• edited 2012-04-21 19:36:50
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^His pedophilia wasnt the actual reason for the ban.

You did, and it was a fair while before the entire thread degenerated, too.

See the edit.

If INUH's right and I trust his judgment, then he definetly needed to get banned, but not because he was a pedophile. 

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^And why exactly not?

• edited 2012-04-21 19:41:39
    Has friends besides tanks now

Maybe the likes of Chagen and Tnu have made my cynical, but I'd say his admission to see a therapist was less "I have a serious problem, I need to get help" and more "if I say I'll go to a therapist, will you guys please stop bringing up my kiddy-diddling fantasies?"

This is a big chunk of the reason that I went and banned him in spite of his saying he'd get therapy; I don't mean to put him on the same level as Tnu or Chagen, but some characteristics of both of them were present, and when I went back through the thread, I said to myself, "bullshit", and, well, banned him. Other people have already covered this, though. My rationale turned to "if he doesn't seek therapy after we ban him, it won't surprise me at all and I really doubt he would have sought it if we hadn't banned him--as in, if we had accepted him--because he was almost certainly just trying to save face, given that he put more emphasis on keeping it more under wraps than fixing himself; if he does seek therapy after we ban him, then it means he realizes that he screwed up and has been living under an unhealthy mindset, by evidence of his ban."

^ Dude, the ban was never solely because he was a pedophile; he was banned for being a drama hound (more the TVTropes ban appeal drama than defending himself) and for the mindset he carried in regards to his pedophilia and his life in general. If he was a pedophile who never felt it necessary to admit that he was, I never would have known, and he might have been okay here (if not for the TVTropes whining).

• edited 2012-04-21 19:40:15

^^ Because we should abstain from discriminating against people based on something they have no control over. As far as we know, Draven hasn't raped any children. That doesn't make his pedophilia "okay", but it does mean that he's not actually guilty of anything. 

That would essentially be doing 1984's whole "thoughtcrime" thing.  

• Back in Black

I'd say that being an unrepentant pedophile is plenty of grounds to be banned, but being an obvious tnu/Chagen in waiting is a decent secondary reason/excuse, if you really need one as a mod. 

• edited 2012-04-21 19:42:36
    You can change. You can.

Because being a paedophile is not an inherently morally wrong action. Being a child molester is. 

Look, I don't want the guy talking about his fetishes or anything. If he broke the rules, then that's fine by me and he should have gone, but I sincerely don't believe in shunning out people based on their lack of mental stability. 

• edited 2012-04-21 19:41:27

^^This.

Except there are quite a few adult posters on TvTropes, as well...

That was a joke.

Here's the thing:

Perhaps we ought not to be bullies. 

2b. Do not start or continue dramafests. If you have problems with other users, talk to moderators or to the users in question privately. Abuse, harrassment, and trolling (intentionally posting stuff to annoy people) are not allowed.

1c. Discussing, debating, arguing, and disagreeing are all allowed.  However, when doing these things, target the opinions and arguments, NOT the people you're talking to. Insults, mockery, needlessly rude or inflammatory posts, or other irrelevant material may be edited/blanked/locked/deleted.