If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Let's talk about shoot-em-ups.

Comments

• edited 2012-07-14 06:42:01
    My arms are falling off!

I’d be more willing to help my friends out with Touhou games and other shmups (hell, I've joked about charging pocket change for lessons) if it weren’t for the high probability that they’ll just deprecate themselves about how much worse they are than me and how they'll never be as good as me instead of bothering to improve themselves.

Honestly, if someone's just gonna do that, what's the point?

I guess “be proud of who you are” doesn't apply to shmup skill.

• My arms are falling off!

STGT 2012 has kicked off, and this week's game is Strikers 1999.

It's alright, but it could do without a god-tier secret ship that's allowed for use. Oh well, it's a fun ship to use anyway.

Also I keep dying in the same places without improving much, which tends to happen to me in Psikyo games.

• edited 2012-08-04 13:47:31
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

^^That is because generally speaking, shmups require you to either already have inhuman reflexes, or to spend hours and hours practicing something that is never going to be of any use beyond shmups anyway.

• edited 2012-09-24 03:36:41
    My arms are falling off!

From Memes/Touhou:

Now do it with Marisa. Explanation: A common response to Challenge Gamer videos, since Marisa is a lower-tier character in most games. There are many variations depending on the actual video, all sharing the theme of "do it even better.

Hey, I *like* playing as Marisa. I don't like Reimu's slower speed and wider spread (takes longer to damage unless you're literally like 1 pixel away from the enemy) or homing shots (generally weaker as a tradeoff for the enemy-seeking property). I generally like sweeping around to attack enemies aggressively in games, so I prefer the linear/fast combo over the wide/slow combo.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

How good is Flying Red Barrel?

It's in the current Indie Royale.

• edited 2012-10-01 04:47:11
    My arms are falling off!

Ketsui Arrange and "Mr. Stoic" version.

The former if you like DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu Black Label, and the latter for those who hate complex scoring systems and just want to focus on survival.

Just grabbed Ether Vapor. Fun multi-perspective shmup, also light on the bullets compared to most modern shmups.

Planning to get the eXceed series next, and eventually the ALLTYNEX series when that comes out here.

I recently FINALLY unlocked the fourth stage (of five) in practice mode in Flying Red Barrel.

FRB has five stages, at three difficulty levels (which are completely segregated).  And it's a lot more fun than I expected.  I've only played the beginner course so far, and it is no cakewalk.

But the best thing about the game is that it may be quite difficult...but it lets you practice!

Yes, practice mode lets you replay any stage that you've beaten.  Oh, how do you beat it first?  Well, when you play the full-course mode, you get multiple continues.  It wipes your high score when you use them, but that makes sense.  So once you finally beat a level, you unlock its practice mode...and now you get to practice until you get good at it, and then you go back to playing the full-course mode.

Furthermore, the game lets you save single-level plays, which can be replayed by the game for viewing.

You start with an unlimited double machine gun and three missiles (max five).  When you are firing your basic gun, you move more slowly; when you don't, you can move more quickly and you also attract nearby coins (dropped by all enemies).  So these days I just tap the fire button repeatedly instead of holding it down, except in limited situations.

Instead of the usual screen-clearing bombs, you get missiles: they destroy enemy shots and projectiles, but only within a limited radius of their point of detonation, and their explosion deals continuous damage for a couple seconds.  If you have two or more missiles, you can charge up and fire a bigger missile that lasts about five seconds and has a larger explosion (and thus enemy-shot-and-projectile-clearing) range.  I've found the best way to do this is to get to know a level well so you know what appears when, where, and drops how much coins, and then use your charged missiles to take out particularly well-armoed targests (including those where one part completely shields another).

Why aren't more people talking about Flying Red Barrel?

• They're somethin' else.

Describe.

Indie shmup developed by orange_juice, and English translation published by Rockin' Android.  Available to English speakers via Desura; was previouly featured in the Indie Royale Back to School Bundle.

Play as a little girl piloting a red biplane loaded with bullets and missiles in a reasonably straightforward shmup with cutesy cartoony graphics.  Collect coins to replenish your missile capacity.  Shoot stuff out of the sky in five levels, at three difficulty settings.  Do you suck too much?  Use continues to get through levels and use practice mode to practice.

sound VERY interesting :D

Someone playing EXTREMELY well:

• edited 2012-10-27 06:55:30
    My arms are falling off!

I might pick up Satazius rather then eXceed for my next doujinshmup purchase. Seems like a lovely throwback to R-Type-style checkpoint shooters.

FRB also seems pretty neat.

I think my next many shmup purchases are going to be doujinshmups, seeing as there's so few commercial shmup devs left, and CAVE's getting kinda boring for me.

After tackling Satazius on Normal, I decided to give Hard a spin.

Holy shit, it isn't just "the same but more" syndrome that a lot of hard modes suffer from.

Stage layouts change (especially stage 5), stage 5 has a new boss at the end of its boss rush, the crush traps on stage 6 work differently now (no longer automated), and HOLY SHIT FINAL BOSS NEW FORM

why would you do this

WHY

this perspective fuckery rustles my jimmies

Someone liked Einhänder?

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Well Raydere, it looks like you need to 

1. Be Praying

2. Be Praying

3. Be Praying

I'd like to see a 3DS game that does this. Or maybe, maybe no.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

No, thanks.

Super Mario 3D Land taught me that while the 3D is a neat little side-feature (which somehow became the system's entire marketing focus), any game that actually relies on it belongs on my no-buy list.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-11-22 16:52:34

Even if the 3D was pulled off in a way that didn't hurt my eyes, that kind of Dutch Angle crap is a terrible, terrible thing to do in a video game in places where you expect the player to do stuff.  People naturally think in geometric simplicity, and having to extrapolate a kinked-off sideshot is going to be clunky no matter what.

About the furthest you can afford to go is stuff like Starfox, where the angle is very slight and you have a multilayered reticle adjust for you.

Today on Raydere fails Hard-clearing Satazius: Let's crash into a wall when there is absolutely no valid reason to.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/04/ultra-rare-nes-shooter-coming-to-3ds-virtual-console/

That's Summer '92 Carnival Recca, apparently now on the 3DS VC in Japan.

fuck.

I wanna play D:

• But you never had any to begin with.

Well, that's the least expected VC release ever.

They probably figured the pent-up demand was substantial enough.

I may be rather optimistic in saying this, but I'd love to see it come to U.S. VC, even if we have to pay a bit of premium for it. It's an amazing title.

It sure is. Really pushes the NES to its limits, much like Alien Soldier did for the Genesis. Most people sneeze at it since there is some slight sprite flicker here and there, but the game is gorgeous regardless.

the sprite flicker does bother me since flicker = stuff not being entirely visible = oh god how did i just die

i introduced my cousin to radiant silvergun

why