If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Let's talk about shoot-em-ups.

edited 2012-03-19 01:23:37 in Media
My arms are falling off!

There's another shmup thread although it's more about concern for difficulty and enjoyment than STG general.

Touhou game discussion is okay.

I recently decided to derp around on Gradius Gaiden again. Lord British can do a number on bosses who like to cover up their weak points, but is horrible for the last stage's high speed section where you NEED to be able to attack enemies behind you--it's 2nd-loop-hard otherwise.

Comments

• I kinda want to try Mushihime-sama, but emulators...

• My arms are falling off!

Arcade version or PS2 port?

• Either, I guess. Not that I'd know the difference.

• They're somethin' else.

I've dabbled in some Ikaruga. It's fuck hard, but I love the creative mechanics.

I've played a lot of Gradius III. I can't get past the wolf pack in Area 88, and I still have trouble with the stealth bomber level amongst the clouds lol

• edited 2012-03-19 02:23:12
    My arms are falling off!

PS2 version would probably be easier to emulate at this point; PS2 emulation has been making the rounds in the past few years. Arcade version emulation is still going through a shitton of kinks; there's generally a rule against arcade games that are <5 years old being emulated in MAME, so the hardware for the arcade version has only recently been undergoing MAME support.

I've been looking into getting Cloudphobia. Looks neat, although brutal (have to maintain own lifebar, mothership lifebar aka a missed enemy limit, and a time limit). Thankfully the dev's website offers a paid download via PayPal, rather than a physical copy.

(Honestly, I wished more doujin/indie shmup developers got on the digital distro route. I'm more likely to buy their games as opposed to a physical copy that will probably get up-priced up the bellybutton by sellers.)

• edited 2012-03-19 03:38:08
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

IJBM: the abbreviation "STG".  For "Shoo Ting Game".  Sorry, Japanese-speakers, English dun work like that.

@Raydere: Have you played Guxt?  If so, what do you think of it?

Haven't.

• Wasn't Mushihimesama on XBLA or something?

• Mushihimesama was/is an Xbox 360 retail game, if I remember correctly.

• edited 2012-03-19 23:31:11
    My arms are falling off!

Mushihime-sama Futari (the sequel) is already released, and region-free. Mushihime-sama is getting a 360 release next month. Region-locked, sadly. I'd buy it (since I do have a Japanese 360), but I haven't been in the mood to throw down money for CAVE ports lately.

• I have Life Force on the Virtual Console, but that's about it.

Oh, and Space Invaders Extreme! That's a really fun game.

SIE on 360, DS, or PSP?

• DS. I didn't know they had it on other platforms.

DS version is the best of the three. PSP version is okay, and the 360 version looks disastrous on anything other than a 16:9 screen. Have you tried the sequel?

• But you never had any to begin with.

Been playing EspGaluda recently. Pretty easy by Cave standards, but it's fun. Kakusei mode takes a little getting used to, though.

Espgaluda 1 is fun and simple. Espgaluda 2 can go to hell.

Cone Trees: Now available in fullscreen HD.

Well, at least it makes full use of a 16:9 monitor.

• edited 2012-03-28 16:07:01
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What's "cone trees"?  Is this a joke on the way they draw trees?

Edit: Never mind, heard the part of the first video where he describes them as such.

• I couldn't get through that review without expecting the guy to start talking about his buddy Keith.

I mean fuck, I've been down South in recent years and that was pretty thick.

• I'm still not sure if that guy is a troll or not.

He's a veteran player, he mostly does these reviews for gits and shiggles.

Anyways, at the arcade in San Francisco today, I came across an obscure shmup based on Macross II.

It's not a conventional shooter; you pick one of three courses of three stages, and each stage is a 2-minute score attack. You have unlimited lives, but you must complete a score quota to advance to the next stage.

That's only 1P mode and 2P co-op though. 2P versus is where it gets interesting. You and the other player play one stage and compete for the most points.

Here's some footage of me playing (on player 2 side). It was the final round of a tournament at a shmupmeet I attended 2 months ago.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Does this reviewer normally have this heavy an accent?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Good.

• edited 2012-04-01 13:35:59

^ Maybe, but you know it's likely someone's actually going to make it real.

• To be or not to be? That is the question.

I played this strange little game called ring^-27, which is "Crimzon Clover meets Hellsinker."

It's a pretty interesting game, but the screen can get a bit cramped at times.

• edited 2012-04-01 17:54:54

Disregard.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-04-01 17:54:08

^^^^ Here, for those who can't figure out how to use Niconico.  I absolutely loved the Re: Mystic Square Shinki and EX-Alice fights, so yeah.

• Kichigai birthday!!

^ Thanks, I should have checked if the video was up on Youtube first