If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Let's talk about shoot-em-ups.

Comments

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-04-01 18:18:09

Okay, I admit I posted that before I actually watched it.  That was fucking amazing.

It's also about the only remix of Faint Dream ~ Inanimate Dream I've ever heard that completely keeps the aggressive tone of the original -- all the others go after ZUN's smoother updated version that sounds more like the Windows era, but rather loses the effect that a psychotic killer youkai is actually trying to blast you to atoms.  Absolutely perfect use of the unused version when it shifts into her doppelganger Master Spark.  The Impenetrable Face-Raping I Hope You Have Bombs Left Waves of Doom at the end are as terrifying as they used to be.

The fact that her last Master Spark card regenerates fast enough that you actually have to bomb her right in the face with your own (very first!) Master Spark is a little gimmicky, but just about the only acceptably epic conclusion to that fight.

• My arms are falling off!

I had a go at RayStorm today.

Strangely I perform better with R-Gray 2, not just for score but also survival. Probably because with RG1, I feel compelled to hyper laser* everything, causing me to die often.
    _____
    * Hyper laser is activated by concentrating all lock-on slots onto one target. This causes a cluster of damaging explosions for RG1, or a ball of dark energy for RG2. It's easier to do with RG1 due to less lock-on slots.

• To be or not to be? That is the question.

Satazius is a pretty neat Horizontal Scrolling Shooting Game, but I hate it when you get a game over for merely idling around the weapon selection screen.

RayCrisis is retarded.

It's one of those games where I just feel like I can't improve at all--I keep dying in the dumbest of places. Then again, this is to be expected with a game that lets you pick 3 of 5 possible middle stages.

Also the manual says stages get longer with lower encroachment ratings, but I hardly see a difference between 20% (the lowest I've been able to lower the meter) and 90%.

Thankfully I'm hocking this game off to a friend at Fanime.

The soundtrack is pretty unique and sweet, though.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

>Satazius is a pretty neat Horizontal Scrolling Shooting Game, but I hate it when you get a game over for merely idling around the weapon selection screen.

Wait what?

I'm not joking. At one point, after completing a level, I left the computer screen while it's on the weapon selection screen, and the timer ran out. I got a game over after that.

Sounds like a really, really silly bug.

Depending on my alertness tonight I may give Thunder Force V another shot. I nearly had an ALL clear of the game by a matter of seconds several nights ago.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-04-10 17:32:41

^^^ Are you sure the game didn't just transition into the main game when the timer ran out and then you died in a more mundane way?  Because a lot of arcade games do that on selection screens.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Satazius isn't an arcade game.

• edited 2012-04-11 17:37:11
    To be or not to be? That is the question.

@Bee: Actually, you're right.

On an unrelated note, I played Fairy Wars and Double Spoiler, and both of them are unique and good.

Oh, and the hardest (Commercial) Shooting Game I have ever played is Truxton / Tatsujin.

The hardest (Doujin) Shooting Game I have ever played is probably Kamui on Hard difficulty.

• edited 2012-04-17 15:20:17
    My arms are falling off!

I don't even know what Truxton II's Stage 2 boss looks like. Then again, what do you expect from "classical" shmups, where death means being reduced from a war machine to being stuck with the firepower of a handgun?

Speaking of classical shooters, here's a guilty pleasure of mine.

• edited 2012-04-20 03:30:18
    My arms are falling off!

Cloudphobia stage 1 - NO-DAMAGE CLEAR

Cloudphobia stage 1 no-damage clear. Like a boss.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

I absolutely suck at bullet hell games, but maybe that's because the only one I've ever played for a considerable amount of time is Touhou 12.

Does it sound suicidal for me to want to try Ikaruga before anything else?

• They're somethin' else.

You're gonna have to unlearn everything you know about shmups when you're taking on Ikaruga, so you might as well start now.

• Yeah Ikaruga's challenge is less finding tiny gaps, and more just not tripping and falling on your face via cognitive overload because you have to separately track two entire layers of stuff.  There are probably people who find it easier than a regular bullet hell, but I'm sure as shit not one of 'em.

I'm of the opinion that Radiant Silvergun, Ikaruga's spirital predecessor, is far worse. Completing the first stage on one credit, at least on Normal, is a serious challenge.

Also, whereas in Ikaruga, where it's possible to complete the game while disregarding score, if you can't score in Radiant Silvergun (where a. scoring levels up your weapons and b. you can't change colors after each chain segment), you're fucked.

What should I play, Raydere: Strikers 1945 or Raiden? And which game in the series?

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of S1945, but it's a nice medium between old-school hell and modern bullet hell. I'd go with S1945-II or S1999.

Raiden gets pretty frantic and unfair after the first stage, at least in I and II. IV is somewhat better, and I haven't played III or put enough time into DX.

Played the Arcade ver. of Gradius 1. Can't get past stage 2. I'll get knocked out either by my own speed or by a stray spawning midboss thingy, and powering up from a checkpoint is such bullshit lol

Middle of stage 3 is where everything starts to go straight to hell.

Also be careful with your powerups. You may find it best to use only 2 options, because more firepower = more dangerous enemies.

Oh, that explains it >:/

Not exactly a shmup, but about a dev known for its shmups:

Bunny Must Die / Chelsea and the Seven Devils, a metroidvania by Platine Dispositif (whose Gundemonium / Hitogata Happa games are on Steam), will be localized and published by Rockin' Android.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41130
    I'm surprised system11 actually holds Touhou in high regard.

• edited 2012-04-28 20:43:05
    My arms are falling off!

I believe this warrants mentioning again.

YOUR MISSIONS

What the heck

I know...

Speaking of that, at one point, I made it to Stage 5 in ESPGaluda. The Train boss can go die, however.

• edited 2012-04-29 14:42:33
    My arms are falling off!

weblogaru: 12 credits. Raydere: 1. http://tmblr.co/ZZh_6yIkczIf
    I spent around, like, 2-3 bucks worth of credits playing Espgaluda. Raydere only played once. (ノ `Д´)ノ ミ┻━┻

• Considering buying the Gundemonium collection, but dear merciful lord those look like big player sprites for a bullet hell.  Between that and the horizontal-ness instead of top-down it looks like the hitbox is going to be really vague.

Fav. Konami shoot 'em up, Ray?