If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Let's talk about shoot-em-ups.

Comments

• My arms are falling off!

Gradius Gaiden. No contest.

• But you never had any to begin with.

^^^ The hitbox is pretty small.

• After playing the demo I can tell that the hitbox itself is workably small, but with a sprite that huge and non-symmetric, and not clearly aligning to any particular visual marker on the character, it's really ambiguous.

DoDonPachi Saidaioujou is out and I want the soundtrack so bad because it also has the OST for DoDonPachi Maximum (lol Windows Phone 7) and arranges of music from the original DoDonPachi.

• To be or not to be? That is the question.

^ Me too.

Anyone looking forward to some upcoming releases? Me? I'm probably looking forward to that new game Siter Skain is making right now.

• They're somethin' else.

I just played Harmful Park from this backlog of burnt isos my brother had.

It's pretty fun, though I wish I could make head to toe of the story.

Speaking of things that can be put on an ISO, I want to play R-Type Delta so bad =_=

Do you play with an arcade stick, or just standard controllers, Ray?

Arcade stick on 360 and PC whenever possible (spoiler: almost never).

I usually pick any kinds of controllers, but since I play the PC too much, I'm more used to the keyboard controls.

On an unrelated note, Eden's Aegis is a tough game, but I like it!

• edited 2012-05-04 07:44:15
    My arms are falling off!

My arcade stick. Ignore the Technika 2 sticker that I jokingly put for "censorship" purposes.

If I can't use that, I use a Saturn pad with a USB converter instead.

Also, Eden's Aegis's scoring is pretty wtf-tier.

Ah. I remember you saying you're not a fightan game kinda guy lol

• edited 2012-05-04 15:02:39
    My arms are falling off!

> hibachi
    > high-pitched loli

I didn't mind the fanservice pilots but this is taking it too goddamn far. Even Touhou's final bosses have more class than "DADADADADADADADADA!!"

I finally made it to Yuyuko in Perfect Cherry Blossom!

After getting murdered by the Prismriver Sisters and Youmu.

So Lolibachi is voiced by Aoi Yuuki, the voice of Madoka Kaname.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Make a contract with me and become an Element Doll!

Bullet Hell: The Game Boy port of Galaga: Destination Earth does this, but only with the bullet speed rather than through bullet spam.

(ノ゚д゚)ノ 彡┻━┻ 
  • I watched the video and was thinking "wait, I don't hear any high-pitched lolis...the pilots' voices are actually pretty mercifully understated and collected.  This is a good thing."

Then Hibachi died and WHAT IS THIS.  Man, and Donpachi was supposed to be the badass franchise.  What the hell.

I've been playing Einhander, and I'm stuck at the stage with the rather robust dumbell looking things.

If I ever get to that level of programming proficiency I am making a shmup that is decidedly not bullet hell.

I’ll even put a logo that says “Presented by TOHAPLAN [sic]”

Fuck, I’ll make it a Touhou fangame too, just to screw with everyone w

Getting back into Crimzon Clover, and then I DIED at Stage 2.

The withdrawal symptoms of not playing that game are kicking in, since I'm doing terrible. Hey, I used to make runs up to Stage 5.

• Silence is golden.

Is anyone else really annoyed with the elitism a lot of shmup fans have about their genre? "If it has 3D anything, it's not a shmup." Which means they refuse to talk about, review, or consider any games with a 3D element. If you look at Shmups! you won't see any mention of Star Fox, Panzer Dragoon, or other similar "tunnel shoot 'em ups." They get derided as "rail shooters," and are never discussed alongside other classic shmups—because they're 3D. I don't understand why they just don't accept that genres can develop and expand. We don't see this kind of elitism with Platform Games that made the jump from 2D to 3D. If shmup fans are so worried about the genre losing its definition by including games with 3D elements, why don't they just subdivide the genre?I see no reason why they can't simply specify a game as either a "horizontal shmup," "vertical shmup," "arena shmup," "isometric shmup," "tunnel shmup," "tube shmup," or what have you.

It's not just games with actual 3D environments. Many of them also refuse to acknowledge Zaxxon, and Space Harrier as shmups.

It's derision in a fandom sense, because they are writing off a group of games—a large group of games which clearly fit the genre—as something that is "not relevant" to their fandom and therefore not worthy of focus on their sites, communities, or forums. Instead, these games get lumped in with other games and genres that are completely different. For example: The Star Fox series is mostly shmups, but they're usually written off as being exactly like lightgun games such as Operation Wolf, Area 51, or Lethal Enforcers—these games typically being what shmup fans call "rail shooters" (as opposed to the definition here on TV Tropes, which is thankfully a lot more accommodating) and therefore something outside the focus of their fandom. The only commonalities between Star Fox and such rail shooters is that they both have into-the-screen gameplay, but that's it—Star Fox shares most of its gameplay mechanics with more traditional two-dimensional horizontal and vertical shooting games. By all rights it should be considered part of the shmup genre, but most shmup fans don't think so. Very few would say they are. The rest, at their most charitable, consider them "borderline" shmups which are still rarely allowed the same kind of focus that they'd give to other titles. Imagine if most sites dedicated to Massively Multiplayer Online games excluded anything that was not based on World of Warcraft or Everquest's mechanics! There are definitely people out there who think that way, though thankfully they are rare in comparison—but it's a mentality very much like what permeates the shmup fandom. It's the close-minded "a game is only a shmup and only worth discussing on our sites if it follows a very strict set of rules" that is such a turn-off. Oh, sure, they might not bad-talk such games, but they still toss them into "non-shmup" corners of their site's forums, never giving them any focus on their sites. I mean, for Pete's sake, what about games like In The Hunt, a 2D horizontally scrolling shooter where the point of contention among shmup fans is that the screen doesn't scroll automatically? It's just too pedantic. Far too pedantic.

What they're doing is no different than writing off Super Mario 64 as "not a platformer but a multi-surface dimensional explorer" just because it has 3D gameplay compared to two-dimensional platformers. Or better yet, it's like the one guy who tried to declare that Phantasy Star Online was not a MMO Action RPG, but merely a Roguelike with an online component. It is not "far from pedantic," it is very much pedantic. It reflects negatively on shmup fans when they try to exclude games which share practically all the gameplay mechanics of horizontal and vertical shmups, save for one (In The Hunt's lack of scrolling, or Star Fox and Space Harrier's into-the-screen gameplay). It's reflects even more negatively when they then try to categorize those games in genres with which they have much less in common (above troper's claim that In The Hunt is more of a Run and Gun game like Metal Slug and Contra).

Genres are defined by more than one characteristic, not "one single absolutely vital mechanic." Some cite Roguelikes in support of the claim that genres have one absolutely vital mechanic; the TV Tropes article on Roguelikes disagrees with you, instead giving a set of characteristics that define the genre. Few games considered Roguelikes follow all of those characteristics to the letter. The same can be said for any game, any genre: few games except the codifying ones are going to follow, to the letter, every defining characteristic. Works within a genre differ from one another based on which characteristics they follow or innovate upon. By continually dismissing anything that so much as deviates from or innovates on one of a group of mechanics that define a shmup, shmup fans are doing nothing but hurting the genre they profess to enjoy, because any game that doesn't strictly follow the entire set of "absolutely vital mechanics" is not worth discussing or acknowledging as part of the genre. Devs wanting to make a game catering to that fandom aren't left with much room to do anything new or unique, because those fans will write off anything that does one thing different from their pedantic standards. "Is the action into-the-screen rather than horizontal or vertical? The screen doesn't automatically scroll? Sorry! That can easily go elsewhere, it's not a shmup." In addition, the problem with shoving games like Star Fox, Space Harrier and other games like them into the "Rail Shooter" category is that this is also widely used—especially by shmup fans—to refer to games like Operation Wolf, which are usually lightgun games. Yet Star Fox, Space Harrier, and the like share much more in common with horizontal and vertical shmups than they do with lightgun games, the only real difference being their into-the-screen action. Meanwhile, lightgun games tend to play very differently from horizontal, vertical, tube, and "tunnel" (using a term made by another troper earlier; it's a good distinction from "rail") shooters in general; the only common mechanic they all tend to have is in shooting stuff. It's the equivalent of deciding that yellow apples should not be considered apples but lemons, due to the fact they're not red or green like other apples.

Now who's making arbitrary exclusions? They're the one insisting that there's such a thing as "one single vital aspect of a genre" which you then apply to an entire set of game mechanics! They also completely ignore my first paragraph just so you they can continue rationalizing the belief that one difference in a game that otherwise shares mechanics with other shmups automatically disqualifies the game as a shmup. 

By the way, are they aware of the concept of the Genre Turning Point? Since they seem to think genres are rigid and immutable, I think it's prudent to call attention to it. Funny that shmup fans are so adamant about upholding their pedantic standards that they claim any game with one thing that sets it apart from their standards is a "new genre." Shoot 'em ups like Star Fox did not defy genre classification just by having into-the-screen action.

oh god this discussion again

excuse me while i puke up 点's

• I love how people call Starfox a "rail shooter" even after it picked up All-Range, and then for some reason claim that their 2D shmup that only goes forward isn't somehow on rails.

Shmups are a subgenre of rail shooters. All 2D shmups can be called rail shooters, but not every rail shooter is a 2D shmup. It's like comparing squares and rectangles.

Star Fox 64 is still mostly on rails. Not entirely, but it is for a good plurality of the stages.

Star Fox standard stages = 194x IN THREE DEEEEEEEE

Star Fox All Range Mode = Bosconian IN THREE DEEEEEEEEE

http://www.sk8tokyo.com/shmup/

Just spreading the news...

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Hmm.

What was the one with the warp feature?

That's where I ordered Crimzon Clover. Although, a former friend of mine who went to Comiket bought a copy for me as well and sold it to me for $20. (Ended up selling that to a friend.)

• edited 2012-05-16 10:53:13
    They're somethin' else.

Help me decide on a Shmup to get my friend into, Ray

with the following criteria:

* Two players Simultaneous
    * Available for NES/ SNES/ Genesis/ PSX/ Arcade (we're emulating). If you're able to convince me of shmups in either PS2, PS3 or Dreamcast, do so.
    * can be either a normal shmup or a bullet hell, but i dont' want the bullet hell to be too obnoxious.
    * Something "OMG HAHAHAHAHA" inducing, as vague as that sounds.
    * I don't mind space ships or flying demon/witch girls at all, but if there are any creative deviations from that theme, that's a plus. This detail isn't priority though.

Also, my friend is thoroughly convinced there's a shoot'em up that features a Dolphin somehow. In his words "Can we play that game with the dolphin?" Though he can't remember the name. Does it ring a bell, Ray?

• edited 2012-05-16 11:40:36
    Silence is golden.

Help me decide on a Shmup to get my friend into

Bio-ship Paladin is the only acceptable answer.

Also, my friend is thoroughly convinced there's a shoot'em up that features a Dolphin somehow

probably aero fighters 2.