If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Let's talk about shoot-em-ups.

Comments

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I play Gradius Advance quite often, and the SNES title too.

I use the ROMs for both of them of course because....well because I suck at Gradius.

Also I got Ikaruga a few weeks ago and oh my god

• They're somethin' else.

Yeah. Ikaruga fucking hurts.

• My arms are falling off!

I don't like Ikaruga all that much to be honest. I prefer RSG, even if it's 50 times harder.

Man, is there even a non Saturn release of Radiant Silvergun?

• It's on Xbox Live Arcade.

Shit, i need an X-box.

In fact, what good games are there for X-box, both downloadable and purchaseable that aren't total dudebro/ speesh mareen fodder (this must be a better question for Vidya general)

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Blue Dragon is a JRPG, and the Idolmaster games are raising sims.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

The dudebro and spess mareen demographics no longer overlap after most of the fratboys who played Halo left to go play CoD.

I am genuinely okay with this, means I don't have to deal with them.

As for good downloadable games: Outland. Outland forever. 

• I'm a damn twisted person
    That's a pretty big request Schitzo. What kind of games do you want to play?
  • edited 2012-07-06 06:37:14
    They're somethin' else.

Arcade style twitch action games (be they beat em up, action adventure, or a platformer. Even Shoot Em Ups/ Run n Guns.). That or anything innovative, quirky or whatever.. I also heard there are some much needed ports of otherwise extremely rare gems. Occasionally, a good RPG now and then.

• Ikaruga was fun if you had the cognitive capacity to keep up.  Just...I don't XD

ARES: Extinction Agenda

Gunstar Heroes

Explodemon

Action Fist

Have Gunstar for the Wii. All those other ones sound badass.

• Hard Corps: Uprising.  Basically, Contra except made by Arc System Works.

-googles-

-instant boner-

Hey, Dyre, I thought you hated Daisuke Ishiwatari?

• Nah.  I just don't like his output as much as everyone else does.  But with Hard Corps: Uprising I think his style works pretty well and makes for a really fun game.

• edited 2012-07-08 06:21:21
    My arms are falling off!

Eschatos. $40 and region-free. It comes with its spiritual predecessor, Judgement Silversword, along with the JSS spinoff Cardinal Sins. Especially considering this is an import (I'm assuming you don't live in Japan), this is quite a steal.

@Schitzo: Noitu Love 2: Devolution is currently available on Indie Royale and Steam.

For those who dislike full-length games: try Blade Buster. It's a "caravan"-type game--score as many points as possible within the time limit.

• edited 2012-07-08 21:46:58
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Back on the topic of shmups: the Gundemonium series is in the current Indie Royale bundle--yes, that's all three games, Gundemonium Recollection, GundeadliGne, and Hitogata Happa.  There's a day and a half left on the bundle.

Also seems to be something called Acceleration of Suguri X-Edition, which looks like a dueling shooter.

@ Glenn: Ah. I really should be using my Steam account again. The only games I even have for it are Portal and Doom I and II :P

Also, i just found a Raiden II cabinet at this pizza place. This is perfect, since Raiden II is near impossible to emulate. It's also fucking hard.

• edited 2012-07-09 08:26:07
    My arms are falling off!

It's ironic that Raiden II, the poster child for pre-CAVE vertical shmups, is also the one of the harder shmups to have access to these days--MAME emulation is a crapshoot at best and the PS1 port will run you at least $60.

There is a Windows port, but this being a port made for Windows 9x and not XP and beyond, I can only imagine the myriad of problems I'll have trying to run it.

I have Raiden IV and it's alright I guess. I'd rather be playing Raiden Fighters sans medals, though.

On another note, Cardinal Sins's final boss theme. (starting at 8:42)

For a 1-minute PSG loop, it's beautiful.

@Schitzo: Desura is better because its wrapper isn't DRM.

And Desura organizes Indie Royale.

I think Suguri is only on Desura.

Desura it is. any g---

Fuck it, I'm moving that question to VG General.

Man, and I thought the Ice stage in Gradius II was hard. The grassland stage is throwing EVERYTHING at me.

Thank goodness for safespots, no?

Wow, an impossibru game like that has sweet spots o_O

• edited 2012-07-13 04:59:25
    My arms are falling off!

Keep in mind: This is on Very Hard difficulty.

He's done the same for many other games in the series, including the super-long Gradius V. Unfortunately, he's getting clogged up on Gradius IV because of the cell stage.

Bubble Core?

Bubble Core isn't necessarily so much as a problem so much as the stage he resides in.

Fun fact: While bubbles are splitting, they have invincibility frames. That's why the bubble stage is such a pain in the ass.

• I love how Gradius videos usually come down to "how egregiously can you abuse the following-turret options?"