If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2013-03-10 05:17:15
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Everybody looks like they just stepped out of Gundam

It looks good though.

Also, you can't really tell from the picture, but I lost one the back fins on Hibiki. Not sure if I'll be able to find it now... :crying

Aw, that sucks. Makes me want to put her back in her box just in case >_>

Which is extra annoying because even when manga is translated, scanlations tend to be unbearably bad.

Or slow /EurekaSevenAO and Symphogear, not to mention nobody even doing AO Save a Prayer, nAnO and E7 New Order.

• Thankfully, a few hours ago I managed to find that little plastic fin... somehow. Not sure how/when it ended up where it did.

:rejoicing

Anyway, is the Symphogear manga significantly different from the anime?

• edited 2013-03-10 10:42:53

It's from the original (26-episode) draft of the anime, so it has an entirely different first chapter and even explains Kanade's status as a forced-gear user right as she dies. There's a lot of expansion on Tsubasa's initial shy-girl attitude and there's even more focus on Hibiki and Miku's relationship.

Also chapter one is like "Yes we know you've probably seen the anime" and reveals Phine right away.

Problem is only one guy is translating it (he runs like, the one Symphogear fansite) and he's only done Volume 1 so far.

@glennmagusharvey: Renton is 15 at the start of the series and turns 16 around the middle, Eureka is 16 at the start and remains so through the entire series. Anemone is 17 and Dominic is 18.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

That's kinda what I figured from initial watching; I thought they were spaced pretty close to each other.

Though I never really gave too much thought to it.

• edited 2013-03-10 11:11:38

It's from the original (26-episode) draft of the anime, so it has an entirely different first chapter and even explains Kanade's status as a forced-gear user right as she dies. There's a lot of expansion on Tsubasa's initial shy-girl attitude and there's even more focus on Hibiki and Miku's relationship.

According to this, the original plan was one cour, just that somebody wrote down too many ideas. There's a difference there, although that depends on what you count as a draft, I guess. (I think a draft needs to be an actual script, while something to explain the basic idea is just an outline)

Also, did Hibiki and Miku's relationship ever get much attention from Yuri fans? It's seriously a looooot more overt than anything in Madoka Magica was.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Also, did Hibiki and Miku's relationship ever get much attention from Yuri fans?

Yes. You can sum up the reaction with "Heh, sweet relationship, too bad it's in such a crap show. Ah well."

Two of the other characters... Blue girl and Red girl? Tsubasa? also got a bit of attention, because many people considered their relationship to be a lot more interesting than the other two.

They never gained a huge amount of popularity simply because the show wasn't all that great, so many people who watched it didn't become emotionally invested enough in the characters to want to ship them.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

According to this, the original plan was one cour, just that somebody wrote down too many ideas. There's a difference there, although that depends on what you count as a draft, I guess. (I think a draft needs to be an actual script, while something to explain the basic idea is just an outline)

Oh.

Incidentally that's the guy who translates the manga.

THEY KNEW NOTHING ABOUT HOW TO MAKE AN ANIME

This I knew.

Blue girl and Red girl?

Tsubasa and Kanade.

They never gained a huge amount of popularity simply because the show wasn't all that great,

This has never been a thing that stops anime fans from... everything, really.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

This has never been a thing that stops anime fans from... everything, really.

You're not talking about anime fans. You're talking about yuri fans. Whole different set of expectations.

That statement applies to yuri fans too.

Then you would be wrong.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Evangelion 1.11 is going to be on Toonami next week.

that's the newer one, right? I'm not up to date with my EVA.

• It's the first of the movie series, if that's what you mean.  Though it's basically just a recap of the first six episodes of the TV series with completely redone animation.  It's not until the second movie that there are significant story changes.

AKB0048 Next Stage BDs... I don't know if this is a clear indication of giving up when it comes to BD sales or something but Episode 1 is on BD1 for freaking Y2000 (Compared to Karneval at Y2800 for the DVD V1) and the rest have three episodes for Y7000 (What is wrong with you otaku? Why does this show not sell?).

• ^ What do these prices mean, exactly?

• edited 2013-03-12 13:24:32

Y7000 for a 12/13 episode series would be 2 episodes per and for a 24/26 episode series would be 3 episodes per. AKB0048 NS doing this (taking the standard price for a series twice as long) is kind of giving up on BD sales (First Stage did about 2000 Average IIRC, which isn't even average "good" sales ie 3500-5000 for BD and somewhat lower for DVD).

Of course there is GJ-bu which is doing Y6000 for 3 episodes but that's not even doing well in prelims.

Aaaaand the verdict is in, GJ-bu V1 does 2300 copies.

Also to expand, Karneval is Y2800(DVD)-Y5000 (BDLE) but Next Stage V1 is 2000 for both BD and DVD with no LE in sight.

To compare Hyouka is doing Y7000 for Normal BD with only two episodes and it has 24 episodes, yet it's consistently doing 8000-9000 copies.

Tangent: Nekomono did not break any records just yet, but 42,000+ copies in week 1 is amazing.

Vividred Operation screenshots!

• edited 2013-03-12 17:19:06
    But you never had any to begin with.

Something that is bugging me about JoJo's (early Battle Tendency spoilers): Straits went crazy because they were scared of aging. Except... he's a Ripple user. And one of the most consistent things that is shown doing is preventing aging. To the point where he knew 3 separate people who did so. So why the vampirism?

• edited 2013-03-12 18:05:24

Vividred Operation screenshots!

Still looks really bland and Akane is still the only visible character.  Maybe the game could be fun or something, but so far from what they've shown I'm not going to get my hopes up (well, obviously I know the other characters will be in the game, but in any case...).

Oh, also, those screenshots have really horrible aliasing.  The game better not look like that when it's finished.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^The Ripple slows down aging, but that wasn't enough for Straits. So, he became a vampire to completely halt any aging AND restore his youth.

• edited 2013-03-13 00:45:07

When was Dog Days 3 announced!?

aliasing

I do not know what this is.

• I still haven't seen Dog Days' yet...

I do not know what this is.

Left is aliased, right is anti-aliased.  Or basically, as it relates to computer graphics, aliasing basically means jagged edges.  In the Vividred screenshots it's there on all the outlines, but especially noticeable when things are far away.  All things considered it probably wouldn't matter that much in-game but it's really noticeable in screenshots, especially since there's absolutely nothing else to focus on in those screenshots because they're so boring looking.

• edited 2013-03-13 09:33:45

Zetsuen no Tempest 21: Aika does get murdered.

This was a really emotional episode. Aside from the actual events that had to play out, watching Aika herself go through all she had to is heartbreaking.

I quite liked it, mostly because there was a lot of introspection and dialogue. In fact I loved every minute of it.

Okay, so no confirmation on whether any Ry'leh-ans dropped off the trees so I can continue to go on believing that the trees are gods or where set here by the gods.

The plot is really good! I wonder if Megumu will actually factor into it (also where is his invisible girlfriend?) but I hope not too much. This is Hakaze's thing (Please let it be Hakaze's thing...)

I love the scene at the end and I'm glad that they have shown us Hakaze in almost all her lights now. This was almost my favorite.

Now I know why Aika is murdered, because nobody that awesome can live.

Next Week: Yoshino and Mahiro react! Yes!

Vividred Operation 09: Himawari and Wakaba.

Okay, Wakaba is in love with Himawari, it's just obvious now. It wasn't much of a plot episode, no matter how much they tried to incorporate Rei. I'm happy with it as is. I'd say more but I'm still reeling from Zetsuen no Tempest <_<

I guess I should mention that I really like Himawari's VA.

Accel World EX02: ONSEN! Sort of.

First off, Yukiko continues to be my favoraite character. The depth and progression that we had throughout the anime manifested here and I'm quite glad she was able to be honest about her feelings. While I don't think her particular worry could be related to any in the real world I felt for her. A situation inwhich you'd think "He's a reject because he's generally considered physically unattractive, but I'm a reject because I'm just pure nerd!"

I like how the relationships came off in this episode, it was quite impressive with all the dynamics that it managed to cycle through yet still manage to make it work.

There was surprisingly little fanservice unless you were looking for it I'd say, which is sort of a plus. The comedy was great and surprisingly mute (I guess compared to the VN, which was just "Oooh Chiyuri's doing funny things now!")

Nice to see you too Ash Roller girl.

Finally, I should mention the animation, aside from all of Yukiko's screencappable faces in the first half it was nice and solid.

• edited 2013-03-14 00:57:27
    I'm a damn twisted person

That is a lot of running and pondering.

And wind.

birds over a seascape. words, quickly. camera pan upward to sky. revealing buildings. zooming through the forest. zoom into eye. running. running. running while fade-to-black. turning around to face the camera. nude mystical character in artistic pose. sitting and pondering, looking at the sky. staring into the wind. sitting and pondering looking at the sky staring into the wind. standing and pondering staring into the wind. female character holding hands in wind. comedy character interaction scenes. group shots. dynamic group shots. dueling shots. imperfect/limited camera with ominous/intimidating/significant shots of important characters/objects/events. split-panel shots. slow walking. silhouettes. artistic nudes sliding in opposite directions flanking center object. flying. flying at the camera. teardrops flying through the air. mystical light in hands. small flying objects surrounding subjects. holding hands. handplay. giving a friend a hand. birds. posed twins.

all over a techno/pop song with Japanese lyrics.

• I'm a damn twisted person

^ Well now I know what to graffiti on the wall if I ever decide to vandalize a college anime club.

Let me know if you do.

Hakkenden: Touhou Hakken Ibun 07: Mountain gods and promises.

Okay, I'm going to say something I never thought I'd be able to, I really like the themes Hakkenden covered in this episode with both the Monkey deity and Shino's own introspection.

Aside from that, episode was very much alive with a bit of action and a lot of gore. I'll feel quite cheated if this show ends without at least one protagonist dying in an emotional manner.

We have a little more inkling of plot with the murderer who looks like Sousuke (I think he's the guy at the end of the OP).

I like Keno, I hope he shows up more. Kokonoe is cool and benevolent, her interactions with Shino were limited and I'd like to see that explored a little further.

Also the bead-owners would be 70% more surprising if they all didn't have Inu in their family names >_>

I feel like if this show managed to go on the way it did this episode it would end up being surprisingly good. I just dislike how my reason for watching this show went from Ayahi Takagaki's character (who is truly boring and should be relegated to as little screentime as possible, along with anything along the lines of episode 5) to actually caring about what's going on. I know we still don't have much on the beads yet but I think it might actually get there.

• edited 2013-03-14 18:09:56
    Kichigai birthday!!
    Finished Trapeze. It was weird, but cool.

t. Anime expert

What the actual what

Okay now I just need plane tickets to Japan and a straight path to ACE2013

And this probably confirms that Gargantia won't have subs on BD...

The story begins in the distant future in the far reaches of the galaxy. The Human Galactic Alliance has been constantly fighting for its survival against a grotesque race of beings called "Hidiaazu."

> Hidiaazu

> not "Hideous"