If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I like shojo anime

123457»

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    I like CCS unironically. Yes-

you bad person. 

Personally, I find though it is terribly flawed, I like the slice-of-life aspects of it and I give it credit primarily for making me realize I had a taste for shojo anime (and here we come full centre). Whether that was a good or bad thing depends on perspective.

It's a good thing if you like shojo to this day, simple

also, if you ended up watching better shojo shows.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Hahahahahaha. No, I am not a bad person. I liked the characters.
  • I liked pretty much everything about Cardcaptor Sakura. >.>

Though yeah, it's not perfect.  Still probably one of the better choices if you want to watch a magical girl show though.

Reading Noimporta's post...ahem...

and no, don't let Noimporta say Legend of the Galactic Heroes. 

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A space opera of epic proportions. Yes, it's long, and slow, and old, but it's by no means boring. Political intrigue, space battles, boisterous characters, a classical soundtrack make it a very enthralling experience.

you just get off on contradicting me, don cha? :P

I don't respect that chart at all; it just seems to be "4chan's tastes". That said, some of them are pretty good...but it depends on the chart.

why does the origin of the chart makes you disrespect it in particular?

Also, this fuckers don't do anything but watch anime all the time. I don't think it's wrong to assume that they have at least somewhat good taste in it. 

anyway, my recommendation list, as a non-connoseiur would read as thus:

• Neon Genesis Evangelion: Arguably the Twin Peaks of Anime. Even if it's not exactly as perfect and enjoyable as most fans make it out to be, it's still required viewing if you're interested in learning about anime trends and history.
    • RahXephon: It takes after Evangelion and Brave Raideen, but where NGE was painfully pessimistic and sometimes rambling (Hallo, Rei), Rahxephon is cheerfully optimistic and its mythology actually makes sense. Also, its taking of ideas from this series doesn't deter from its quality or its originality. 
    • TTGL: Probably one of the most action packed super robot series of all time. But if it were all action, I wouldn't recommend it. However, it also is probably one of my favorite coming of age stories out there. Simon's growth from a little kid who is afraid of wanting more into a person willing to make his own future and help other people doing so is probably one of the most convincing, entertaining and emotionally powerful character arcs I've had the joy of watching
    • Haruhi: I've dissed this show before, but I decided to give it a second shot. the NGE comment on its quality not being as great as many fans make it out to be is still there, and the cast is not remotely that enjoyable. (Yuki, Mikuru and Haruhi are plays on anime archetypes, which can be a problem if you dislike those archetypes), but the show is aware of this and gives us Kyon, the saving grace of this show, really.
    • Cowboy Bebop: I haven't finished it, and I thought I would drop it when Ed came aboard the ship as she seemed like the epitome of boring lolrandumb humor. And she is. But the other 4 members of the team still managed to shine through after she joins. Spike is still pretty much the most cool cat out there and the synergy between the whole group is amazing. It's one of those casts that you just like seeing doing things regardless of what they are as they are just great at being charming. Also, it is a very episodical series, which, in my opinion, is always a plus. Although, of course, Spike's storyline as he keeps trying to find...erm...Linda? still permeates the whole story, which leads to a famously heartbreaking finale.
    • Twin Peaks: The Evangelion of Anime. It's not exactly perfect, the pilot is insufferable, but Agent Cooper is so good at what he does that you can't feel but be compelled to watch.
    And yeah, that's all I've got. I don't really know much about anime, due to growing up on series I've realized were not really that good although they appealed to me. Like Dragon Ball.

And now that I dropped a metaphorical nuclear bomb, I gotta go.
  • edited 2011-09-26 16:05:11
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @Chagen > How can you divine Quality? Characterization? But everyone has different iterpretations of characters, and one person may find a characterization to be bad.  Plot?
    But everyone has different opinions on what is a good plot, and someone
    may find something to be, say, an Ass Pull while another doesn't.

First, do you mean "divine" (as in "find out") or "define"?

You can say that everything seems subjective, but consider the following case: You're reading a romance story set in a realistic current era.  Two girls both love this one guy, and he also likes them both but has to choose between them.  He's conflicted on the issue, and monologues about how he should handle refusing one's invitation to a date where the other might be present.  Then suddenly, a dinosaur's foot crushes one of them, and the other two get married and live happily ever after.

Would you consider that to be bad?  Well, even if you wouldn't, most people would say that the point of the story was completely betrayed and ignored by the ending, and would thus feel the story was not well-crafted--it could have been better had it resulted in a more realistic ending with him politely refusing one of the girls, or with him not saying anything and one of them finding out and breaking off, or with him choosing neither of them and remaining single, or something.  But...a dino foot crushing one of the girls...just doesn't make sense.

@Noimporta > Newsflash: 4chan (Or rather /a/, in this case) is not a hivemind,
    there's tons of people with tons of different opinions. The charts are
    fine, they try to cover all the bases, there's tons of stuff on them
    that I didn't enjoy, but acknowledge might be more akin to others'
    tastes.

I know; they're more like consensus picks rather than anything else.  It's just that I'm a bit tired of seeing the same series mentioned over and over again in recommendation lists.

@Juan_Carlos > why does the origin of the chart makes you disrespect it in particular?

That was my line, not his.

And okay, perhaps I misspoke.  I just don't think the chart is worth that much since you can get basically the same recommendations from anyone, or even just by noting what series some general animé chat/community is talking about (and possibly subtracting current series).

Also, lol.
  • I dunno. It makes it easier for people like me who haven't watched much animé. It makes level of big namers.
  • edited 2011-09-26 16:05:18
    You can change. You can.
    I know; they're more like consensus picks rather than anything else. It's just that I'm a bit tired of seeing the same series mentioned over and over again in recommendation lists.

erm, glenn, we all know you want your hipster tastes satisfied, but the fact of the matter is that there are some series which are required watching and that appeal to people massively. Happens in film, TV, comics, etc etc

You can say that everything seems subjective, but consider the following case: You're reading a romance story set in a realistic current era. Two girls both love this one guy, and he also likes them both but has to choose between them. He's conflicted on the issue, and monologues about how he should handle refusing one's invitation to a date where the other might be present. Then suddenly, a dinosaur's foot crushes one of them, and the other two get married and live happily ever after.

Would you consider that to be bad? Well, even if you wouldn't, most people would say that the point of the story was completely betrayed and ignored by the ending, and would thus feel the story was not well-crafted--it could have been better had it resulted in a more realistic ending with him politely refusing one of the girls, or with him not saying anything and one of them finding out and breaking off, or with him choosing neither of them and remaining single, or something. But...a dino foot crushing one of the girls...just doesn't make sense.

That sounds like a good monty python sketch.
  • ...Oh god. It does.
  • edited 2011-09-26 16:07:39
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    It's just that I'm a bit tired of seeing the same series mentioned over and over again in recommendation lists.
    I think the idea is "if you haven't taken a look at these, don't bother asking for recommendations, because this is what you'll get."
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Reading this is almost as fun as reading... well, most Internet discussions on subjectivity.

There are base arguments and ideas that one can use to justify a work of media as good or bad. But ultimately, a person's enjoyment of the work depends on their own opinions and tastes. 
  • Except if it's [insert series you hate here]. Or Twilight. :D
  • edited 2011-09-26 16:15:02
    You can change. You can.
    That was my line, not his.

I know. Notice I never said Noimporta said that. :P

And okay, perhaps I misspoke. I just don't think the chart is worth that much since you can get basically the same recommendations from anyone, or even just by noting what series some general animé chat/community is talking about (and possibly subtracting current series).

Recommendations don't need to be unique. And I'd say expecting everyone to give you a unique recommendation is a really bad criteria for recommendations too.

There are base arguments and ideas that one can use to justify a work of media as good or bad. But ultimately, a person's enjoyment of the work depends on their own opinions and tastes. 

Yes, but we still see lists, reviews, awards, etc etc where we ranks these works and determine their quality, which is why this discussions keep happening. 

Also, would you say Rolling Stone's 100 best artist list is accurate? And how so? :3c
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @JC: I know; it's more like "I've already heard of that, got anything else?".
    I know what you meant. I just feel that if you really expect that from a recommendation list, then...well, it's gonna be quite tough.
  • I could reccomend you shows! They'd all be horrible and randomly picked, but I could do it!
    Me too!

Watch...erm...Farscape, Glenn! You'll enjoy it! I swear!
  • Ikki Tousen?
    Nah, you're thinking of Bible Black
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-09-26 16:22:05
    Oooh yes! Watch that instead!
  • Thank you, Juan and Glenn, for basically answering my questions.

I tried to come up with counterarguments, but everything I came up with relied on fautly logic, fallicies, or other things. So I must accept your statments, them being more logically consisitent.

• edited 2011-09-26 16:35:05
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @Juan_Carlos: LOL Bible Black

@Juan_Carlos, @AHR: That's why I sometimes try, when giving recommendations, to think of something that I think is good but hasn't already been mentioned by lots of other people.

@Chagen: Sorry if I sounded condescending, by the way.  I will admit that it's not a distinction I really picked up on until not long ago, though I didn't hang out on message boards and discuss my favorite shows so I really didn't have much of a chance to run into the issue.
    @Chagen: It's OK. You're only human. 

man, i need to make that gif.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I'll be honest, Chagen's actually better about discussing this than most people I run into with this argument.

I got called a liar earlier when someone said 'there's no one who says "It sucked but I enjoyed it."' and I responded that I actually say this all the time.
    I got called a liar earlier when someone said 'there's no one who says "It sucked but I enjoyed it."' and I responded that I actually say this all the time.

Good times, eh? -_-
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    For varying definitions of good, yes.
    Welp, at least I learned something from that debate. If it is the one I'm thinking about.

By which I mean, the one I forced you into. :D