If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I like shojo anime

Comments

• Actually, you haven't been misinformed. It's not a horrible manga, though Cygan keeps saying it's really bad when it's not.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I mean, it is certainly not a terrible show. It is above the usual bar set by shonen works.

It's about the same level as One Piece, or maybe a bit less. But it... lacks the zaniness. It also takes itself far too seriously, considering the concept.

It doesn't fall into the trap of shows like Bleach and Naruto, though, with their endless arcs and constant meaningless fights.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Actually, you haven't been misinformed. It's not a horrible manga, though Cygan keeps saying it's really bad when it's not.

Please refer to this:

• I like One Piece. Although I will be the first to admit that it is by no means a show for "everyone."

I think it's a bit of an acquired taste, unlike Bleach and Naruto which seems more easily accessible.

Maybe Negima is more of an acquired taste?
  • "It also takes itself far too seriously, considering the concept."

You do realize that the seriousness makes sense in the context in the story, right?

• Is this the same way that the seriousness of Yu Gi Oh makes sense in context?
  • Never read Yu-Gi-Oh.
    You do realize that the seriousness makes sense in the context in the story, right?

Just because something makes sense in the context of the story does not make it less ridiculous, when you realize that the entire fight between Negi, a ten-year-old kid with glasses, and Rakan, a guy with ridiculous levels of strength that are never adequately explained, is basically Negi saying "MINE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS NOW TREAT ME LIKE A MAN".

Justifications for things that happen do not make those things any less silly. All a justification and/or context does is make said thing make sense in the context of the story, not make it good.

Maybe Negima is more of an acquired taste?

As I noted earlier, there is nothing stopping people from enjoying the show. That does not stop it from being a bad work though.
    Is this the same way that the seriousness of Yu Gi Oh makes sense in context?

It's not quite that ridiculous, but it does approach it at times.

It's a really serious manga... about a ten-year-old kid mastering insane amounts of power under the tutelage of a sexualized underage vampire girl in order to save his missing father. Along the way, said ten-year-old kid makes various teenaged girls fall in love with him, has epic (by which I mean rather uninspired) fights with demons (who are magically constructed creatures that live on Mars). It features such things as a one-hundred-storey-deep library on an island inhabited by deadly traps and dragons that nobody sees fit to bar as off-limits, said ten-year-old kid being a school teacher (and apparently smart enough to teach the kids in the class enough to help them pass), magical contracts sealed via kissing (the more passionately, the stronger the contract is), a masquerade that is upheld by turning violators of it into ermines, etc.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-09-26 08:09:41
    Well, what I'm mainly referring to is the concept of something being "niche"

Scott Pilgrim, for example, is niche. Lotsa Joss Whedon stuff, is niche. Homestuck, is niche. Bobobobo whatever, is prolly niche. Some niche things are good as a whole, just not in the way most mainstream people would like, while others are more of a StylisticSuck variety, and obviously, the "not very good" area.

--

I've heard of those...contract thingies. I thought it was kinda cool. I er...didn't know about the "passionate" part.
  • edited 2011-09-26 08:11:37
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Well, what I'm mainly referring to is the concept of something being "niche"

I think you mean 'retains a cult following'.

It's not really a niche work though. It's more mainstream than you'd expect, given it's by the maker of Love Hina.

It's just not very good. And by this I mean it has a lot of flaws, but that does not make it unenjoyable, but it does disqualify it from being the best anything ever.

I've heard of those...contract thingies. I thought it was kinda cool. I er...didn't know about the "passionate" part.

I could be misremembering. I don't think so, though. At least, based on what I remember.
  • Cygan, you just seem to dislike over-the-top stuff.

"It's just not very good"

"but that does not make it unenjoyable"

These are two contradictory statements. If something is not good, it is, by definition, not enjoyable.
  • Also: You're making me think that the 300 bucks I dumped into this series was a waste.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    If you enjoyed it, they weren't.
  • edited 2011-09-26 08:38:29
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Cygan, you just seem to dislike over-the-top stuff. 

Negima is not over-the-top enough for me to dislike it for that reason.

These are two contradictory statements. If something is not good, it is, by definition, not enjoyable.

Oh, fuck off. No they're not.

I've repeated this to you easy a dozen times by now. Quality does not make a work enjoyable. A low-quality work is enjoyable to some people. A good work is one with few flaws- but flaws do not mean a work cannot be enjoyed.

Please take some time to consider what has been said before responding.
  • $80+ per session
    Okay okay, wait, I have an idea.

Chagen, what are some things, series, that you think are just bad?

List a few for me, and try to pick a couple that aren't anime or manga, please.
    Also: You're making me think that the 300 bucks I dumped into this series was a waste.

If you enjoyed it, they weren't.

Well, I guess I sort of agree with INUH, although personally I think that $300 is a little over the top for any non-essential leisure object in the first place.
  • "Chagen, what are some things, series, that you think are just bad?"

I barely consume any series in the first place. I don't think I've ever seen a series I truly think is bad.

Cygan: The 300 bucks is for the 30 volumes.
  • $80+ per session
    Well, then we have no discussion.

If you have never seen something you think is bad, you can't argue that bad things can't be enjoyable.
  • It's not that.

I have seen bad things before. But I enjoyed them, therefore, they are not bad. It's impossible to be objectively bad or good.
  • $80+ per session
    >I have seen bad things before.

>But I enjoyed them, therefore, they are not bad.

ಠ_ಠ
    ಠ_ಠ
    ಠ_ಠ
    ಠ_ಠ
    ಠ_ಠ
    ಠ_ಠ
    ಠ_ಠ
  • edited 2011-09-26 08:47:47
    Cygan: The 300 bucks is for the 30 volumes.

I think that $300 is a little over the top for any non-essential leisure object in the first place.

But whatever.

Chagen, if you barely consume any series in the first place, then you have a very limited reference pool. Seriously.

I suggest going to watch some of the following:

Fullmetal Alchemist (first series or Brotherhood, doesn't matter)

TTGL

Neon Genesis Evangelion

I've also been told Yu Yu Hakosho, One Piece, Hunter x Hunter and Soul Eater are good, but I am unwilling/unable to speak to the quality of these ones, as they are not exactly top-notch quality.
  • "TTGL"

You do realize

That this is my favorite TV Show of all time

Right
    I have seen bad things before. But I enjoyed them, therefore, they are not bad. It's impossible to be objectively bad or good.

Bullshit. Plenty of things are objectively good and/or bad, although-

No. No, fuck you, I'm not getting drawn into this.
    You do realize 

That this is my favorite TV Show of all time

Right

And? Go watch several of these. Not just one.

On second thought, actually, I'm going to go find a few more. Let's pump some actually good stuff into you and see if you can still say this stuff with a straight face.
  • edited 2011-09-26 08:53:13
  • I wanted to object to that, since most of the recommendation pictures are kind of stupid, but... well... yeah, just go watch everything on that picture, Chagen.
  • No rainbow star
    Is there a higher quality version of that poster?

And it doesn't list any horrors D:
  • I can't see that picture on a school network.

Also, I love how, a few months ago, you guys spent a damn month beating it into my head that taste and quality are subjective. And then you just pull it back and retcon in "quality is objective"? Huh?
  • http://animu-mango.wikia.com/wiki/Anime_Recommendations

More recommendation pictures there.  Some of them are dumb, but for the most part the shows there are all either good or important or original in some way.