If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I like shojo anime

edited 2011-09-25 12:13:19 in IJAM
I feel that shojo fills in a void left by American cartoons, namely the lack of shows from a girl's perspective (or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention; I liked The Powerpuff Girls, I guess). And it's so hopeful. You don't get that kind of feel-good stuff so much from boys' shows.

Comments

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    PURGE THE HERETIC!

:P

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I don't think I've ever watched a shojo.
  • You can change. You can.
    I feel that shojo fills in a void left by American cartoons, namely the lack of shows from a girl's perspective

> Buffy
    > Dollhouse
    > Veronica Mars
    > Pan Am
    > Mad Men (Sorta)

• edited 2011-09-25 12:29:47
    $80+ per session
    Is Pan Am any good? I keep seeing stuff for it.

My mom likes dramas that take place in the past. (and classic movies). It looks like her kind of thing.

Also

Powerpuff Girls
    Juniper Lee
    Gilmore Girls
    Weeds
    And also every live action show on Disney Channel and Nick.
  • Ghost Whisperer, Desperate Housewives, that new show with Sarah Michelle Gellar, Sabrina The Teenage Witch, Charmed...
    Is Pan Am any good? I keep seeing stuff for it.

Hasn't debuted yet. I just thought it was worth mentioning because, well, it is a show from a female perspective. And it's recent, which gives it a bonus.
  • Shoujo anime can be good, yeah.  At the very least, typical generic shoujo is infinitely more tolerable than typical generic shounen.

Also, most good magical girl series are shoujo, and therefore shoujo is good.  Or something.

• edited 2011-09-25 12:42:02
    Note that I said cartoons. Most of those are live-action (out of that list, I recognize Powerpuff Girls and Sabrina The Teenage Witch as being cartoons in some form).
    oh.

i fail reading comprehension forever
  • Cartoons are a limited form in the US period.
    Juniper Lee is a cartoon, though.

Also, isn't the Legend of Korra supposed to be about a female avatar?
  • $80+ per session
    YES

LEGEND OF KORRA

SO FUCKING EXCITED.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Veronica Mars is a good show.
    ^Never pegged you for someone with good taste, Glenn.

(I kid, I kid)
  • "At the very least, typical generic shoujo is infinitely more tolerable than typical generic shounen."

Shounen has people beating the shit out of each other in epic fights, your argument is invalid.
  • And shoujo doesn't usually have that, which is why shoujo is usually better.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    What kind of demographic is Ranma?

Because it has romance stuff.

But it also has people beating each other.

And titties
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Shounen has people beating the shit out of each other in epic repetitive fights
    Fixed.
  • What kind of demographic is Ranma?

Shounen.

• INUH: Read Negima and say that again.
    ^^ Shonen with benefits fangirls.
  • edited 2011-09-25 14:21:15
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^I did. I got bored, albeit for different reasons than generic Shonen usually bores me.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    You know,after watching Nichijou I wish KyoAni would actually animate an action show for once
  • edited 2011-09-25 14:21:09
    INUH: Read Negima and say that again. 

From everything I've heard, Negima sounds like just about the least appealing anime/manga series I've ever heard of.  Starts out as harem series, which is already pretty much the second-worst animu genre, and then turns into a generic shounen action series while maintaining some of its harem elements.  It's like... I don't think they could come up with a worse premise if they tried.

^ Munto.

• Anyone who says Negima is boring has clearly never gotten to the Magic World Arc. At all.

Yes, I will defend this series to my death
  • Shojo has starry eyed romances.

I'd rather have repetitive fights than repetitive romances.
  • edited 2011-09-25 14:26:46
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Actually, that was where I started finding it intolerable.
    I don't really like repetitive romances or repetitive fights.