If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Old Republic

edited 2012-04-21 21:20:32 in Media
If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

We have like, three players, that's enough to justify starting a thread, right?

Anyway, I'm a Level 17 Consular/Shadow at the moment. I've advanced the story to the point that I'm on Taris, but I'm considering going back to Coruscant and grinding for enough money that I can afford to get better Mods, Enhancements and Earpieces through Crew Skills/going into space and leveling up to 20 or so. Advice?

(My character's name is Noximillian, if anyone's interested.)

Comments

• Back in Black

Unfortunately, I'll probably never get to play this game.  That said, I was (and I still am) a massive nerd for the first two games, so I was totally psyched for this until they said it's an MMO.  Then I was all "aw fuck, my stupid slow internet won't be able to run it.  NOOOOOO!" 

Anyhow, is it fun?  I've seen screenshots, and it dismays me to think that they'll probably never do expanded and remastered remakes of the first two games... :(

• edited 2012-04-21 21:27:36
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I never buy many mods or gear. I mostly just use what I get through quests, drops, and commendations.

That said, PVP is also a good source of money and XP. Your stats scale in warzones, so you can be competitive even at level 17.

^ If you're expecting it to play just like KOTOR, you'll be disappointed, but if you can get past that and realize that it's an MMO and plays like one, its a lot of fun. I've got at least a week /played so far. Of the three MMOs I've played, it's easily my favorite.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Then I was all "aw fuck, my stupid slow internet won't be able to run it.  NOOOOOO!" 

You could always like, get the trial version and see if it runs.

That said, PVP is also a good source of money and XP. Your stats scale in warzones, so you can be competitive even at level 17.

I have the same issue Flyboy was talking about, with regards to lag. It can take anywhere up to two seconds for my actions to register. While that's fine for the main game, in PVP that would be my death.

And I actually have Cybertech, so I'm having fun leveling it. Plus, Underworld Trading gives me Companion Gifts.

• I want it. I really like the idea of playing an MMO where your character still has a story.

I probably won't get it until Christmas, though.

• edited 2012-04-21 21:28:44
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ Ah, that's true. :/ I don't really have much advice to give on crew skills, other than that slicing is the bomb.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I want it. I really like the idea of playing an MMO where your character still has a story.

Which other players can even help you out with, if you get stuck.

• Back in Black

You could always like, get the trial version and see if it runs.

To be honest, it's not just my internet.  My computer is just shitty in general, considering it chugs along just trying to run the first game.  I'm lucky that I nabbed a copy of the second game for the Xbox instead of the computer, and for free, no less.

Ah well.  Once I go to college I'll get a hold of a better computer and hope they have good wi-fi, and then hello online games and Steam.  :D

• I'm a damn twisted person

I'm a level 15 Consular/Sage and on Coruscant at the moment.  Kinda grinding a bit, but I need to get that robot butler to start making crew skills more efficient to use.

Also, I am digging playing a consular/sage a lot more than I did playing a knight/sentinel. For one thing I can do more than just hit things, I'm battlefield control and healing/buffs. My tank companion complements my abilities a lot better than the knights companions did for me. 

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    So since we're posting characters:

Maede, level 45 Imperial Sniper

Forzare, level 41 Sith Assassin

Tarwin, level 41 Jedi Guardian

The imperial agent has the best story of the three, I think.

Yeah, I'm going back to Coruscant to grind my crew skills.

Oh right my character's name is Alkinell.

Forzare - well now I know which imperial class to pick when I want a change of scenery and have the ability to play around with the legacy system. 

I was still gonna be a Sith :(

Go for it. I just want to see how one of the ranged tech classes plays. And to make my character a Chiss, because stupid sexy Chiss. 

Also, can you send items in the mail from one character of yours to another?

If they are on the same server, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. 

• edited 2012-04-21 22:04:34
    The Inquisitor is a lot of fun to play, but it's probably got the weakest story of the three. He gets a lot of great lines, though, especially as Light side.

Like, on Alderaan, there's this douchebag Jedi who basically abandoned the woman he was engaged to for the Jedi. He starts going on the whole "Sith evil, love is of the dark side" rant, and one of the Inquisitor's responses is something to the effect of "I love, and I have more Light in me than you." And the Jedi admits you're right. Can't comment on the Warrior's story, but I think I've heard good things.

Also, my agent is a sexy Chiss.

@Nova: Yeah, you can send stuff between alts. I do it all the time.

Well, presumably to stop you from doing exactly what I'm planning to do; make the best possible low-level gear with a high-level character in order to allow the low-level character to curbstomp everything.

Okay, cool. I'll start storing all these Synthweaving recipes then, for when I make a Bounty Hunter and he goes the Synthweaving route.

• Does the Sith Bounty Hunter have a good story? I like flamethrowers.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I dunno. I've heard good things, but I haven't played one. Also, I think Powertechs can get Deus Ex-style arm swords, which is even more awesome than flamethrowers.

I added Nox as a friend, but it said that Alkinell doesn't exist when I tried.

It did that for me too. Just try again.

Also, Crake, when you log on, there's a few Heroic quests on Coruscant I have lined up.

Nova - from reading the SWTOR website, it seems the legacy system actually encourages item sharing between your different characters.  It also apparently encourages you to create a shipping chart for your different characters. 

So Forzare what do you think of the other classes' companions? With the knight I never liked the droid too much because it was such a kiss ass. Kira was okay, what with her backstory, but her snark was mostly meh. With my consular though I totally dig Qyzen. The space lizard is a total bro and a great tank. Kinda bummed I lose affection from helping people out, but being gung ho about fighting and calling dishonorable people out on being jerks more than makes up for it. 

I will only be happy with this Legacy system if it allows me an all-female system. :|

Kinda bummed I lose affection from helping people out

I should mention this. As I have Underworld Trading, I can actually get Companion Gifts, which increase Affection there. Next time you're on, I'll see if I can trade them.

I can get companion gifts through treasure hunting. I've just been using it to get gemstones right now mostly.

• I'm planning on eventually at least giving it a try.  I have more than enough games to play through and keep me entertained for a while, though (got the first two Mass Effect games during a sale Steam was having, as well as Deus Ex), and when I got them I was thinking "Hey, by the time you finish with these, several months will have gone by.  Maybe you should play the M.E. series before getting TOR, since by then they'll have probably gotten rid of all the bugs and crap and it may even be free to play at that point!"

You totally should give it a try.

Anyway, since Crake isn't gonna be online today, I'm going to boot up a Sith character. See if I can experiment with this Legacy system, and I want to get the Armormech skill so I can make some decent armours for my Jedi's Qyzen.

• edited 2012-04-22 21:45:27
    I will only be happy with this Legacy system if it allows me an all-female system. :|
    Nothing stopping that.

Also, you don't really unlock the legacy system until the first time you finish chapter 1. Which class are you making, though?

I'm loving how I can be a patient, non-asshole Sith.