If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2023-10-24 16:28:12
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I just learned that the fashion brand Massimo Dutti is owned by Inditex, which owns the semi-exclusive (ie overly expensive) fashion retailer Zara. It made me feel oddly icky inside in a way that I thought I was long past, the way that makes you feel like no cool thing isn't secretly owned by a giant conglomerate.

It makes me wonder who owns Orlebar Brown, which is my favorite fashion brand, which I'm not going to look up the ownership of in order to maintain my illusions.

EDIT: Apparently I shouldn't have googled it at all.

EIZM3Jt.png
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I swear if I see one more article shoehorning T*yl*r S__ft into some site to drive traffic up since she's so extremely popular right now...

This one is particularly good though (I won't link it).
    Probably 10 percent of the attendees (at the concert movie screening) were male-appearing.

Very GMH approved.
  • edited 2023-10-30 15:11:56
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > shoehorning T*ylor S__ft into things

I continue to wonder just how it is that you and I seem to run in totally different worlds.

I'm guessing this is in articles about social trends or something.

> > Probably 10 percent of the attendees were male-appearing
    > Very GMH approved.

I'm guessing you're making reference to recent disputes over the nature of gender, but the funny thing is that if you hadn't brought it up I'd just see this usage as simply indicating that someone looked across the audience and estimated that roughly a tenth of the audience seemed to be male.
    I feel like if I never stopped paying attention I'd have the perfect Lindsay-ism for the way you've put it.
    I continue to wonder just how it is that you and I seem to run in totally different worlds.

Well, I pay attention to mostly big mainstream outlets, so you'll tend to notice trends more there than in other avenues like Mastodon or the local state news.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I had heard that Taylor Swift did a concert tour (semi-?)recently and tickets were crazy expensive.

The news I do check tends to cover stuff like the clownshow in the U.S. Congress or the various active military combat areas in various parts of the world, while I do tend to tune out pop culture stuff until it shows up in chat communities I'm personally in.

It's in that last sense that I mean that Taylor Swift hasn't really shown up much on my radar, aside from being some distant celebrity who's merely reportedly attracting mainstream attention.

Well there's this one Discord user who showed up on a university's server and repeatedly tried to sell a ticket for some amount above $300. I have yet to spend money on that one time a Final Fantasy concert ended up happening about an hour's drive from my home lol, and those tickets while still costly are significantly less absurdly expensive. (but yeah the latter would be more on my radar and the radar of communities i run in)
    I had heard that T*yl*r Sw__t did a concert tour (semi-?)recently and tickets were crazy expensive.

T*yl*r Sw__t is currently in the news for two things;
    • Her concert tour, which was indeed crazy expensive, was turned into a blockbuster concert film that is so successful it's confused cinema analysts whilst beating out several actual movies at the box office.
    • She's dating some guy, a football guy, and they've become an American golden couple in a way nobody thought was possible any more.
  • edited 2023-11-18 05:08:43
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Today I learned that Logan Paul fights for the WWE now.

It has also come to my attention over the past few years that America has a serious Christmas movie overproduction problem. I think I'll watch some this week (not that I've watched a movie in ages).
    I had two teeth removed as prep for getting braces. I have not had anything to eat aside from rice pudding and yogurt in two days. I did not know I would miss savory food this much.

Relatedly, I only noticed a few years ago that in addition to 'Frozen Desserts' (ie Not Ice Cream) we now have 'Dairy Snacks' (ie Not Yogurt).
    I think I'll watch some

This did not happen.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Lifehack: tired about being surrounded with dumb normies? Scream so much your throat is all sore, hit yourself repeatedly in the face, go to work on Monday, act all grim and stern, answer all questions with "you don't wanna know" and "don't ask". Repeat weekly if needed. If done properly, your co-workers will start to fear and respect you because they will assume you've spent the entire weekend participating in some sort of underground fight club or something.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Recently I heard on the radio about that new Warhammer series with Henry Cavill. Not some sort of nerd hour on the radio, just the mainstream radio. So listening to them explain the premise I had that awkward feeling normies are coming to "take" yet another thing from "us". Even though I never was any particularly into WH40k, it was just that sort of nerd in-thing I kind of didn't expect "out". (I'm definitely more of a WFRP guy.)
    Do what I always do! The further mainstream the thing I like gets, the more I dash off into some more obscure thing.

Thank goodness Korean culture came along and stole any chance for Japanese pop culture to go mainstream. Overall, that's not a good thing maybe, but for me maybe it is.

Another upside for me is German pop music likely never, ever becoming popular.

Also I think the "nerd concept theft" thing will end whenever Disney realizes they've drained the Marvel brand of whatever it has left and finally, finally give up (unless it randomly becomes popular again).

Weirdly enough, due to the excessive number of Barbie universes, people who have seen and "loved" the Barbie movie will, 97% of the time, not know that there was a whole Barbie animated series this year (ATOM/A Touch of Magic).

Also, since Barbie is mainstream now, maybe I'll become a fan of Steffi Love (or even Defa Lucy).
  • Merry Christmas, IJBM!
    Vv28CDX.png
    (Yeh, I've been running out of ideas)
    Merry Christmas!
    For a moment, I thought it's a photo. Because it's not a photo, is it?

Merry Non-Denominational Generic December Festivity Day!
    Merry Yuletide!

Io Saturnalia!
    I pulled a muscle while changing my clothes. My back hurts. Such is life in adulthood.
    Happy new fucking Year from this time zone. May it see your enemies suffer and your glory multiplied.
    poland can into 2024
  • Happy New Year everyone!
    Also, I learned that New York City is not the capital of the US state of New York.
    I got an even better one: Kansas City isn't even located in Kansas!

(Well, technically, it is, as there are two Kansas Cities next to each other, but the far bigger and more famous one is in Missouri.)
    Happy New Year guys~
    How are the Olympics this year?
  • edited 2024-01-04 00:45:49
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Happy New Year! since i forgot to post that

also lol i used to watch the Olympics as a kid but nowadays i don't even bother
  • Huh, someone stole the manhole cover right in front of home that covers a bunch of electrical wiring.
    perhaps they had a high strength score but needed an improvised shield
    That's hobo logic: steal a piece of expensive equipment to sell as scrap iron. We've had cases of electric trains stop in the middle of nowhere because somebody stole the wiring. It's curious to see the same kinds of problems happen on the other side of the globe. Sort of, like, the universality of human experience.
  • edited 2024-01-09 08:55:49
    You know the /jp/ theme song #2? The one about what we'd now call being terminally online?:

I, ummm... I wish I wish I had a /jp/ equivalent "home".
  • Huh, someone wrote an article about an artwork I made, in (I think) a sizeable outlet.
    Awkwaaaaaaard
    liiiiiiink